Welcome to volume two of my blog paying homage to the football clubs I've visited all over the world and the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and looking after the stadiums, and in some cases basic grounds.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible. I was lucky that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately hightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a go today. They'll be pleased to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Young Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on youtube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click to see volume one of HAOTW.

Rob Bernard

London

September 2015

Monday, October 8, 2012

Hemsworth Miners Welfare



Hemsworth Miners Welfare FC are a non league club from the former mining town in West Yorkshire, which is located around ten miles south of Wakefield, but who play home games in nearby Fitzwilliam. The club were formed in 1981 following the disbanding of Hemsworth Colliery FC the previous season.




After success in the Doncaster & District Senior League, the club progressed to the West Riding County Amateur Football League in 1995. More success followed including two league titles, until the club were accepted into the Northern Counties East League in 2008.













Hemsworth  Miners Welfare FC will compete in the Northern Counties East League Division One for the 2013-14 season.


My visit

Saturday 22nd September 2012

I was on my way to watch Scarborough Athletic play in a league match at Nostell Miners Welfare on a very pleasant day. I had booked my train to York some weeks earlier to get the benefit of cheap fares before I knew the actual fixtures. I figured that if I booked to York I could get to most places easy enough.













I actually got off at Doncaster, but I was early to meet my mate Guy Watson in Wakefield for pre match refreshments. After a check of the train times I figured my time would be well spent visiting a new ground so I headed for Fitzwilliam, the birthplace of Sir Geoffrey Boycott, which was the station near to the ground.

After a short walk I was going past the neat cricket ground and going through the gates to the car park outside the Fitzwilliam Stadium. The ground was locked but because of the relatively small perimeter fences I managed to take all the pictures  needed.













The clubhouse side also contained the changing rooms and had a roof overhang to keep patrons dry in inclement conditions. Opposite were two neat seated stands with high fencing behind to keep any stray matchballs been lost. The rest of the ground consisted of flat open hard standing and grass.













I went on my way with a few minutes to kill. I was extremely hungry having missed breakfast at Kings Cross owing to unknown engineering works on the tube as I'd been in Cornwall the previous week. I spotted Carters fish and chip shop over the road and no-one was in the queue. I bought what they called a small portion for £3.60. I dread to think what constituted a large! I feasted on my perfectly cooked lunch, walked past the Fitzwilliam Country Park where the pit once stood, and caught the train to Wakefield.









No comments:

Post a Comment