Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Monday 7 September 2015

SF Eintracht Freiburg (Germany)


Sportfreunde Eintracht Freiburg, to give the clubs its full name, are a sports club from Freiburg im Breisgau in the south of Germany, close to the French border.

The football club was formed on the 11th April 1911 as Hertha Freiburg playing games at Fedderstraße. The club moved its base to Exerzierplatz between 1918 and 1937 as mergers took place.


A further move to Grenzstraße was made before the club was dissolved in 1946 to be reformed as FC Sportfreunde Betzenhausen following the merger of the old club with Alemannia Zähringen. In 1950 the club became known as FC Sportfreunde 1911 Freiburg during a spell in residence at Waldkircher Straße.and then Meßplatz.

In 1951 a move was made to Weststadion on Grenzstraße. The club rose to the Amateurliga Südbaden in the 1960’s. In 1976 a further merger took place, this time with SV Eintracht DJK Freiburg to become FC Sportfreunde DJK Freiburg. In 1979 the team qualified for the DFB-Pokal German Cup.


During the 1970’s the club added different sporting departments to its portfolio. In 1972 gymnastics began, with skiing and hiking being added in 1977. Handball arrived a year later, followed by volleyball in 1980 and finally tennis in 1981.

In 1987 the football team returned to the lower ranks of the district game, before the club had yet another merger on the 1st July 2004 as FC Sportfreunde DJK joined with SV Eintracht Freiburg to become Sportfreunde Eintracht Freiburg.


Eintracht finished the 2004-05 campaign in tenth place in Kreisliga A Staffel 2 from where they improved to fifth place in 2007-08. Moved across to Staffel 3 for 2008-09, the team were crowned as champions to go up to Bezirksliga Freiburg.

However, Eintracht went back down at the end of the 2010-11 season, but the team regrouped to win Staffel 2 of the Kreisliga at the first attempt. This time the club consolidated their Bezirksliga position for a couple of seasons before dropping back down in 2014-15.


Worse was to follow as Eintracht suffered a second successive demotion before winning the Kreisliga B Staffel 2 title in 2016-17. A sixth place back in the higher Kreisliga grade followed in 2017-18 as Kevin Klein, Kevin Kuhn and Peter Gerspach supplied the goals for Wolf Haller’s team.

Jonas Gorges banged in the goals as Eintracht improved to fourth in 2018-19 before the team led the table when the Coronavirus halted the 2019-20 season. The club were left waiting to find out whether their endeavours would be rewarded with promotion.

SF Eintracht Freiburg will play in the Kreisliga A Staffel Baden-Württemberg in the 2015-16 season.


My visit

Saturday 15th August 2015

It was a beautiful Saturday morning as I arrived in Freiburg from my overnight stay in Karlsruhe. I was visiting the Baden-Württemberg region of Germany on a weekend football adventure and my lunchtime match was SC Freiburg against VfL Bochum.


As I had the best part of two hours to kill, it would have been negligent of me not to have a look at the local football scene.

As with all cities in the father land, the transport system connected and was comprehensive. Within a few minutes of putting my bag in a station locker I was on board the U1 tram service and soon alighting at the Runzmattenweg stop.


My earlier research was bang on and the brief notes I’d jotted down soon had me on Berliner Allee before turning right at Lehenerstraße and Grenzstraße for the Weststadion. The gates were locked as the groundman cut the turf, but the metal wire perimeter fences on all sides gave me good views and photo opportunities.


All the facilities were down the Grenzstraße side. A smart elevated stand straddled the half way line with further buildings for players and the club continuing up the touchline, including the bar. The far side had a few steps of open terracing. The rest of the ground was surrounded by open flat standing, with a small practise pitch behind the south goal.

I made my way back via Lehenerstraße and Runzmattenweg to the tram stop. Luck was on my side as the U13 service was waiting as I arrived so I could continue to my next venue.





No comments:

Post a Comment