Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Friday 27 November 2015

Tennis Borussia Berlin (Germany)


Tennis Borussia Berlin is a semi-professional football club who are based in the west of the German capital of Berlin who were formed on the 9th April 1902. 

The club originally came into being as Berliner Tennis-und Ping-Pong-Gesellschaft Borussia, with the emphasis on tennis and table-tennis. Within a year football was introduced and Borussia quickly became rivals with Berlin’s leading side, Hertha BSC.


In 1913 the club changed its title to Berliner Tennis Club Borussia before lifting the Oberliga Berlin-Brandenburg in 1932 and 1941.

Following World War Two and the next decade ‘TeBe’ was the leading club in Berlin, but they couldn’t keep their run going as the professional Bundesliga era began in 1963. However following the then second tier Regionalliga Berlin championship win of 1973-74, ‘Veilchen’, Violets won promotion to the Bundesliga. 


Unfortunately a finish second from bottom of the table led to immediate relegation to the newly formed 2. Bundesliga. Helmuth Johannsen’s side went straight back up at the first attempt to bring back top flight football to Mommsenstadion.


Once again TeBe’s reign last only for the 1976-77 campaign. Worse was to follow in 1980-81 as the side were relegated to the third tier Amateur-Oberliga Berlin. Borussia lifted that league title in 1981-82 and again in 1984-85, when they won promotion back to 2. Bundesliga.

The club continually struggled financially, but battled through whilst several other Berlin clubs disappeared, merged or had to be re-formed.


After one season TeBe returned to Amateur-Oberliga Berlin, where they remained until the 1991-92 season when they were placed in the new third tier division; NOFV-Oberliga Nord. The 1992-93 season saw the side lifting the championship and a return to 2. Bundesliga.

Yet again TeBe lasted just one season at the higher level. After further reconstruction of the game in Germany, they were placed in level three Regionalliga Nordost. Another league title followed in 1998-99 to return to the second tier after backing from deep pocketed sponsor allowed the club to bring in new talent. 


This time Borussia lasted two seasons before a return to Regionalliga Nord for 2000-01 after the money ran out and the club were refused a license and were forcibly relegated. 2000 had seen the club change its name once again; this time to Tennis Borussia Berlin.

A terrible season saw a further relegation to the fourth tier NOFV-Oberliga Nord, where Borussia remained until 2008-09, when the league became the fifth tier after further re-organisation. The title was won along with promotion back to the fourth level Regionalliga Nord.


TeBe suffered with relegation after just one season and then a further demotion at the completion of the 2010-11 season to the sixth tier Berlin-Liga after a play-off defeat to SC Borea Dresden. Some relief came at the end of the 2014-15 as the championship was claimed and promotion back to the fifth level NOFV-Oberliga Nord.

A fourth place came on their return season of 2015-16 before sixth place twelve months later. The goals of Thiago da Silva helped the side coached by Thomas Brdaric to the runners-up position in 2017-18.


It was second again in 2018-19 as Marco Benyamina and Rifat Gelici joined in the scoring for the team coached by Dennis Kutrieb. Te-Be led the table when the Coronavirus outbreak halted the 2019-20 season after Nicolai Matt and Vincent Rabiega had scored the goals to put their side top.

The team was crowned champions and promoted to the fourth tier Regionalliga Nordost.

Tennis Borussia Berlin will play in Regionalliga Nordost in the 2020-21 season.


My visit

Sunday 11th October 2015

My weekend to Berlin entered its second day. Saturday had been a cracker and I was out of my bed at the Ibis Hotel opposite the main railway station nice and early and a cold but bright morning. I was heading to Leipzig for the Germany v Georgia Euro 16 Qualifier, but I still had fish to fry in the capital.


The S5 train took me directly to Messe Sud Eichkamp. The large exhibition ground was by the right exit, but looking up the line the towering floodlights of Mommsenstadion gave the game away to exit on the left.

The pleasant walk through some woods led towards the stadium, before joining with Waldschulallee. The view of the Main Stand was already decent, but I was keen to get inside. The tennis courts were across the road, while numerous junior teams and parents were congregating behind the stand, with some going inside.


I had a brief look, but it was mainly entrances to offices and facilities, so I walked to the far end where I found an open gate. I was soon up on the open terracing at the side of the impressive stand.

The stadium had a running track around the pitch. Open terracing curved behind the ends and joined on the far side with the railway below. The end I was at had an electric scoreboard at the rear. 

The final side had a large open terrace paddock with flat standing at the back, with the fantastic old covered seated grandstand behind. One could easily imagine Mommsenstadion staging Bundesliga football in its day. Nowadays it hosted the football of Sport-Club Charlottenburg Berlin as well as TeBe.


My brief was to take the same route back. I had just enough time to fit in a look at the Friedrich-Ebert-Stadion home of SD Croatia Berlin.







No comments:

Post a Comment