Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Saturday 1 December 2018

Ayutthaya United (Thailand)


Ayutthaya United FC is a professional football club from the city of Ayutthaya, the former capital of Thailand located around fifty miles north of central Bangkok. The club was formed in 2007 as Sena Municipality FC.


The major football club in the city for a couple of years was Provincial Electric Authority; better known as PEA FC, who had relocated to Ayutthaya from the Chonburi region in 2008. Businessman Newin Chidchob bought PEA and relocated them to Buriram and changed their name to Buriram United FC.


This left a void for the football fans of Ayutthaya. Another club, Ayutthaya FC, was formed in 2009 to vie for support with Sena Municipality, who played in amateur football. The club took part in the Khor Royal Cup in the 2007-08 and 2008-09 seasons.

Both campaigns ended in the Round of 16, with Sena going out to Assumption Sriracha School and then to Hua Hin Municipality FC. The semi-final was reached in 2013 before being defeated by Nakhon Ratchasima Municipality Sport School FC.


The club was elevated to the higher level Khǒr Royal Cup for 2014, reaching the Round of 16 with their run being ended by Institute of Physical Education Bangkok FC. In 2015 Sena got as far as the semi-final stage.

The winners would gain promotion to the Regional League; which was the third tier of Thai football at the time. Institute of Physical Education Samut Sakhon FC defeated Sena, but both sides were promoted owing to issues with the other semi-finalists.


Sena Municipality changed their name to Ayutthaya United FC and were placed in Regional League Division 2 Central Region for the 2016 season alongside Ayutthaya FC, where top scorer Tomohiro Onodera helped the team to a fourth place finish, playing home games at Senabodee Stadium.

Another local side; Ayutthaya Warrior FC won the Regional League Division 2 Central Region title in 2016 from their home base at Ayutthaya Province Stadium. In the Champions League play-offs for promotion the club were defeated in the Round of 16 by Kamphaengphet FC.


Warrior were dissolved into United remaining in the same venue for the 2017 season, with the team ending in fourth once again; this time in the retitled Thai League 3 Upper Region. Trinidad and Tobago international forward, Kendall Jagdeosingh ended the season as top scorer.

In 2018 United finished as runners-up in the third level Upper Region as Nascimento Dos Santos banged in the goals. This set up a two legged play-off against Nara United for promotion. Ayutthaya went through 2-1 on aggregate as an Arnon Buspha goal sealed the win in front of 2,850 fans.


Ayutthaya United FC will play in Thai League 2 in the 2019 season.


My visit

Thursday 22nd November 2018


I’d been packed off to Ayutthaya by my host Steve Walker in either 2004 or 2005 while he was teaching being told it had a lively nightlife. Being only used to the bright lights of Bangkok and Phuket I was a little underwhelmed. However, an incident while there cemented my affinity with the wonderful people of the country.


I’d enjoyed my full quota of beers for the evening and headed to my digs in good form, singing along, but totally unaware of my surroundings. I smacked my forehead against the edge of a metal lean to. Cue plenty of bleeding. I’d never cut my head before and was terrified.

Some locals in an open fronted garage opposite saw my predicament and came rushing to my assistance. I was cleansed and bandaged before being sent home. I’ll never forget that kind act until the day I die.


Anyway, fast forward over a decade and I’d returned by train the previous day and had a long hot walk taking in the majestic temples before a lovely local evening of chat, massage, beers, food and watching live music.

I’d stayed at the Ayutthaya Grand Hotel, which was far from grand, but it did the job in a fine location. Ideally, it meant that the Provincial, or Krungsri Stadium as it also known, was between there and the railway station and ideal for a whistle stop visit.


Again, the heat was searing, so a stop for water and Gatorade was a must at a 7/11 as I walked along the dual carriageway as far as Tambon Phai Ling where I followed the signs and took a left turn. The entrance to the stadium complex was a couple of hundred metres along the road.

An old temple and statue stood in the park behind one of the ends of the multi-purpose arena that had a running track around the football pitch as well as other facilities accommodating other sports. A school party were behind the stand awaiting their sports day.


Access was easy to take my photos. The stadium consisted of a raised area on either side. The main side had a long section of proper seating and a roof over most of it, while the area on the other side looked a little bit more makeshift as it stood open on frames.

Neither end beyond the curves had any spectator areas, but the city end had banners over the fencing giving it a bit of identity and affinity towards the anchor tenants. The goals were still in for the schools despite it being close season in the Thai leagues.


Once done I flagged down a tuk tuk next to some friendly locals who shouted, smiled and waved me off. I think they were shocked and mildly amused that I fitted inside. My driver dropped me off at the station where I snacked at the excellent but pricey Station bar and restaurant.

I headed back to the capital to grab some last minute gifts before taking the Sky Train and a taxi to Minburi to meet with Steve, Fah, Tracey and Sean to celebrate a local Loi Krathong and then have a last supper before my flight back to the cold weather and atmosphere of Blighty.







No comments:

Post a Comment