Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Sunday 22 February 2015

Broughty Athletic (Scotland)



Broughty Athletic FC is a non league football club from the seaside resort of Broughty Ferry a few miles east of Dundee. The club play in the Scottish Junior FA system.


Athletic were formed in 1920 as Broughty Ex Servicemen before changing to their present title in 1951 when they also moved to a new home at Claypotts Park. In 1989 the ground was renamed Whitton Park in recognition of former player and club official Eddie Whitton who passed away that year.

In 2006-07 the SJFA restructured their leagues and placed ‘The Fed’ in the East Region North Division. Athletic narrowly missed out on promotion in 2007-08 and 2008-09. However, promotion was achieved to the Premier Division at the culmination of the 2009-10 campaign.



Despite finishing bottom of the table in 2012-13 The Fed stayed up thanks to league reconstruction. Hopes were high that a further promotion could be achieved as the club became part of the Dundee East Community Sports Club Project.

The Hub was formed of five football clubs, a rugby club, a cricket club, a tennis and table tennis club, a bowling club, a handball club and a karate club. The clubs were given use of the facilities at Whitton Park and the nearby Forthill Sports Club, Douglas Sports Centre and the grass pitches at Dawson and Claypotts Park.


The Dundee East Community Sports Club Project benefitted from having over 150 qualified coaches and a strong committee. Plans were afoot to improve facilities at Whitton Park. A new all weather seven a side pitch was opened in July 2012, with a new stand for the main pitch being planned for 2016.

In January 2015 Keith Gibson was named as the new manager of Athletic.


Broughty Ferry FC will play in the SJFA East Region Premier League in the 2014-15 season.


My visit

Thursday 22nd January 2015

Having stayed in the very pleasant Broughty Ferry for the evening after watching the Dundee v Kilmarnock match the previous evening I decided that I needed to walk off my very generous breakfast at the B&B before my train back down south.

Using a bit of research and the excellent http://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/ website I headed uphill towards Claypotts Park. I got slightly wrong on my way and ended up in Dawson Park and had to take a detour before eventually finding Whitton Park.


The ground was locked but the fencing low enough to afford me a decent view inside to take my photos.

Whitton Park was pretty basic with a post and rail fence around the playing area. The only buildings came by way of a brick building in a corner behind the goal at the south end, with container units further along by the entrance offering more facilities. The installation of the planned stand would make a huge difference and allow the club progression to the Super League.


I headed towards the city of Dundee along Arbroath Road in search of a look at the home of East Craigie FC.




No comments:

Post a Comment