Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Saturday 13 May 2017

FK Meteor Praha VIII (Czech Republic)


FK Meteor Praha VIII is one of the oldest clubs in the Czech Republic, having being formed in the capital in the autumn of 1896 as Sportovní kroužek Kotva Libeň. Three years later the name of the club was changed to SK Meteor Libeň, which was taken from the dilapidated cycling track called Meteor and the area the club was based.



The club became SK Meteor Praha VIII in 1901 and began regular matches in 1902, using a military training ground at Invalidovně for home matches. Other venues were also used before they settled at U Perutzů on Voctářově ulici in 1910 near to the dockyards.



The club won junior titles in the 1920’s before a move to Střížkova Na Stráži followed in 1929, at which point the club had turned professional and played in the top tier of Czech football for a couple of seasons. Meteor were relegated, but returned to the top flight in 1930.

In 1934, the final solution of a home base was solved as they moved into a new ground at Sokolovny in Liben, District 8, which was related in the club title.



Following World War II, the country was under Soviet communist rule, with players being forced to represent the company which employed them for a while. Club names were also changed, with Meteor becoming Sokol České Loděnice in 1948.



Two further changes to the club name occurred in the 1950’s; DSO Spartak Loděnice in 1953, and then TJ Libeň Loděnice. Throughout this period the club participated in the second and third tiers of Czech football.


Meteor came close to promotion to the top flight in 1965. The following year the club was renamed TJ Meteor Praha. After a decade the name changed to TJ Meteor Praha ŽSP. Two more name changes took place before the end of the millennium; TJ Meteor Praha and finally FK Meteor Praha VIII.

The club continued to progress with the introduction of junior sides and a second complex at Ďáblicích to accommodate all the clubs’ sides. In 2007-08 they lifted the fifth tier Pražský přebor (Prague Championship). In 2012-13 a further promotion was clinched as Meteor lifted the Czech Republic 4. Liga Divizní Skupinu B title.



At the completion of the 2014-15 season, Meteor were relegated from the ČFL back to Czech Republic 4. Liga Divizní Skupinu B, where the team finished in sixth place in 2015-16.

This was followed up by eighth in 2016-17 and then a huge improvement to reach third in 2017-18 before coming fourth the following campaign. Meteor were sat in third place when the COVID-19 pandemic ended the 2019-20 season.



FK Meteor Praha VIII will play in the Czech Republic 4. Liga Divizní Skupinu B in the 2020-21 season.


My visit

Friday 11th March 2016

My first morning of a long weekend in Prague was progressing nicely as the weather continued to brighten. Having already visited the impressive home of FK Admira Praha, I was ready to see more and the excellent Soccerway website had given me an inkling that I wouldn’t be disappointed at Meteor.



The number 10 tram took me down hill from Kobylisy towards town to alight at Stejskalova. A path up some steps adjacent to the stop took me past some government office buildings, a gym to U Meteori with its artificial pitch on the right. I was delighted to see the gate into Areál Libeň was open.



Having taken my photos and looked on in awe of such a beautiful old grandstand, I returned to the Stejskalova stop and took a couple of trams to the Generali Arena, which was the sponsored name of the Letna Stadion, home of AC Sparta Praha.





No comments:

Post a Comment