Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Saturday 31 December 2022

Linping FC (Thailand)


Linping FC is an amateur football club from the Thai capital of Bangkok that was originally formed as Krung Thep FC in 2014, prior to changing title to AC Tuttocuoio, the same as an Italian club in San Miniato, located in Pisa province before changing to their current name in 2023 in what is likely to be a sponsorship deal.

The team has established itself in Division 1 of the Bangkok Premier League for several seasons, playing some home games on the training pitch of Port FC’s PAT Stadium prior to making Airport Stadium off Thanon Hathai Rat their home venue. 

The team ended the 2021-22 campaign in eighth place in the table before being given a place in Division 1 for the 2023-24 season after the league realigned its calendar.

Linping FC will play in Division 1 of the Bangkok Premier League in the 2023-24 season.

My visits

AC Tuttocuoio 0 Harmornious United 4 (Sunday 6th February 2022) Bangkok Premier League Division 1 (Att: c30) 

I took another dip into the fifth flight after Oddy, the Harmonious co-ordinator messaged and invited me along after seeing my photos from his sides game on Facebook the following week when I had seen his side defeat Phoenix FC 2-1.

Airport Stadium is not near either Bangkok of the airports, which is a bit confusing. I took the local 197 bus and then headed on a four mile walk along Thanon Hathai Rat which took me to the excellent venue which offered plentiful cover, seats, and catering facilities.

Like many local league venues, the pitch was surrounded by high netting and admission was free. This one had an additional feature of an open rooftop viewing area offering a fine view of proceedings.

A game from the same division between Ramkhamhaeng University and KNC Safety Glass was taking place, across the far side on the second pitch. which also had netting and a small raised covered stand.

Harmornious took the lead when a lovely through ball sent their number 10 Komin Samartpattanakit through on goal, as he finished off the post. He was simply too strong for the home defenders, as he smashed home to double the lead.

The same forward was excellent in setting up an opportunity for a teammate who blasted over the bar. Just prior to half time a wonderful passing movement was finished by Samartpattanakit to complete a first half hattrick.

A fourth goal from Fundi Tresor in the second half sealed the deal after being provided by Apiwat Nadee as the encounter was more of a contest. Tuttocuoio responded when their Nigerian skipper Sheriff Adetoyinbo had a shot blocked and had another half chance.

In the closing stages Fitri Hayeloh shot across the face of goal for Harmornious and then went straight through before squaring to Nadee whose effort was blocked on the line. The full-time score was about right.

 

It had been a good afternoon, as I received a warm welcome, as it had been from everyone that I'd been lucky to acquaint with since my relocation. It was lovely to meet a Facebook friend in the flesh with several players sending me friends requests after the game.

I was even honoured to be asked to join the United party for the post match team photo. A taxi home after the game allowed me to grab food and watch the Liverpool game on TV. Another ground tick and added to my list.

AC Tuttocuoio 3 Prize of Wood 2 (Sunday 22nd May 2022) Bangkok Premier League Division 1 (att: c10) 

My pal Steve decided to head along to this 4pm encounter as we commandeered a taxi, with him being most impressed with the venue and its local cuisine and coffee shop, both offering excellent value.

There was certainly no passion missing out on the pitch as we took advantage of the upstairs vantage point. Prize of Wood could have gone top with a win in this game and their game in hand, but they came unstuck against resolute hosts. 

The Tuttocuoio goals came from defender Victor Erhahon and Mohammadamin Jafarzadeh who bagged a brace. Wood’s efforts were scored by forward Peerapol Chinnarat and defender Phuriwat Nateerat.

The venue was rapidly becoming a favourite of mine, always offering a nice welcome, decent games, and excellent facilities. Other visits can be read about here. In this match we thought that things could boil over, but the referee did well to control matters.

We headed back to Minburi where I had a couple of beers in my favourite local bar before heading home to watch the last round of Premier League games.

Linping FC 6 BP Friends United 2 (Sunday 23rd July 2023) Bangkok Premier League Division 1 (att: 6)

Joy unbounded as I eventually found a game that took place, after being waterlogged off a few weeks ago before a family visit curtailed any chances, and then left feeling rather deflated the previous day after turning up at a Thonburi League advertised fixture to find nobody else there. 

At least the home club had the courtesy to reply to my message and tell me that the pitch wasn’t ready. They didn’t bother getting back to my suggestion that they might let people know in future to avoid annoyance. No big deal and one of the things you must accept living in Thailand.

This time I took no chances and took a taxi from home 90 minutes before kickoff to confirm that it was on, knowing there were a couple of options elsewhere. Already games were being played at the excellent two pitch venue that is available for hire, but with confirmation from a player, I went for a walk and had a very cheap beer and bought chicken at Muruay Market, fifteen minutes away.

 

On return it was apparent that the game wouldn’t be starting at 5pm, but more surprising was that it would be played on the pitch on the far side away from the covered facilities, bar and viewing balcony. Fortunately, it still had a small raised covered stand on the halfway line.

The weather threatened, with thunder and lightning close by. Fortunately, heavy rain stayed away. It’s that time of year in Bangkok with storms often landing around teatime, which can see some ferocious downpours. 

The conditions meant that parts of the pitch churned up soon into the game, which saw a battle of the bottom two in the top division of this league, which I guess is Step 6 nationally if there was a Thai league pyramid. The two divisions below really are parks football with the odd exception.

The ironically named visitors were stranded at the bottom of the pile, which didn’t displease me in the slightest.

I have become mates with Jamie Clarke, the former Mansfield, Grimsby, York, Montrose, and Arbroath defender. He coached a team called FC Bangsaotong last season who were neck and neck with friends chasing a promotion spot. FCB defeated them 4-1 and all seemed well when we adjourned to the bar.

That was until the Friends side informed Jamie that they were reporting his side to the league because the skipper had a pair of shorts with a number not corresponding to his shirt. Friends were awarded the match, FCB missed out on the title, though I note they gave their foes a proper thumping on the pitch earlier this season. 

In this game Friends at least lived up to their name with their abysmal defending, going 3-0 down in no time with Linping having another chalked off for offside. The visitors probably did have the best player on display. Warachthadol Supaksinbunphan was miles ahead in pace, thought, and skill.

He grabbed one back before the break when I bought another cheap beer from the bar, which was like a scene from a dodgy club back in the 70’s which went quiet when this stranger entered. Soon silence was replaced by smiles, and all was back to normal, and I certainly didn’t fancy being dealt into their card game.

 

Sheriff Adetoyinbo, the Nigerian playing for the hosts who’d earlier given me the thumbs up about the match, was the star for those in green. His all-action display saw him unluckily see two efforts come back off the foot of the post in quick siuccession.

In the small cover I was next to a young American fella and his Thai girlfriend who studied in South London. I wasn’t sure which of the two who I felt most sorry for. Then there was a little Thai lad who loved me chatting to him in my basic but improving Thai and we exchanged high fives when the fifth goal went in. A shame the little sod was wearing a Germany shirt.

The standard wasn’t the best, the pitch like something from the 70’s, the rain came down in the muggy heat, but I couldn’t have been happier. Social interaction and lots of smiles with lots of others either playing or officiating put me in a fantastic mood.

Late goals were exchanged as I made my way round towards the exit. More teams were arriving for another match on the main pitch. The venue is top class and ideal for a lazy afternoon and evening eating and drinking while watching local standard football. I headed home with a couple of meals from the end of the road for the wife and I and not even the washout in Manchester could spoil my mood.

At Sitsaman Academy

Linping 2 Prize of Wood 3 (Sunday 27th August 2023) Bangkok Premier League Division 1 (att: c10)

The club moved a home fixture a couple of miles south. Read all about it here.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment