Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Wednesday 26 April 2023

Phranakhon Rajabhat University (Thailand)

Phranakhon Rajabhat University is part of the Rajabhat Universities System, which has six such institutes in Bangkok and another thirty-five across Thailand. While they are a place of education, the majority also have a football team as part of it.


As far as my research lets me see, Phranakhon Rajabhat play in university football competitions. The Bangkok campus is located on Thanon Chaeng Wattana in the Lak si district of the city.

My visit

Phranakhon Rajabhat University 1 Minburi City 2 (Thursday 27th October 2022) Friendly (att; c40) 


I’m prone to doing crazy things in general, but especially if it involves getting to football. Nevertheless, I still got some strange looks when I announced in my local bar that I would be walking over 18km to this match.

I needed the exercise and thought it an excellent way to discover properly what was along Ram Inthra. I certainly got to see lots of half built skytrain stations and plenty of construction works as well as several 7/11s where I purchased water and energy drinks. 

By the top of Nawamin Road a couple of young Minburi City players were on their motor bikes and offered me a ride. They were somewhat bewildered when I told them my plan of action, but they seemed like good lads anyway.

At the foot of the Wat Phra Sri Mahathat station, I purchased probably the best chicken in breadcrumbs on a stick I’d ever tasted, and they were cheap too. It was definitely one to remember whenever I was passing in the future.

My actual arrival didn’t go according to plan as I entered via the Satit Phra Nakhon school, going past many students indulged in sport, only to find that there was no way through at the end, so I had to retrace my footsteps.

Eventually I found the entrance to the venue after buying provisions at the University’s 7/11. I’d passed the ground several times in the past and it looked decent enough with several metal type bleachers with cover down one side, which is where I headed for. 

I received the usual warm welcome from the Minburi officials, and the two players from earlier gave me a wave. The university certainly looked a cracker with great facilities, which is more than can be said about the pitch with no lines, so cones were used to mark the perimeter, and longish grass.

In the early stages Minburi’s 32 disposed a defender and put in 29 whose chip clipped the top of the home sides crossbar. The player wearing 14 for Phranakhon saw his low shot tipped round by the City keeper in the number 13 top.

 

16 for the hosts shot over the high net fencing and into the busy Chaeng Wattana, with someone having to dodge six lanes of traffic to retrieve the ball. That was probably as interesting as the first half got before the players sat on the grass and listened to their respective coaches at the interval.

The visitors took the lead when the seventeen year old forward, Saengarun "Saeng" Oadpim kept his cool to finish after nearly being hacked down. The visitors were playing some lovely stuff as 1 showed great skill to cross for 15 who came close to converting at the near post. 

But just as they looked comfortable, a strong header from a free kick allowed Phranakhon’s 9 to score, colliding with the keeper at the same time, as both players needed quite a bit of treatment before continuing.

Oadpim restored the Minburi lead, thumping his chance home after more fine work from 1, who was prominent after the break. 15 for the away side also impressed with his guile and control on the ball.

 

The home team came close as their 13 shot across the face of goal in the closing stages. At full time I accepted a request for a quick interview on my thoughts of how the game went for the impressive Minburi City social media platforms.

It was time for me to head back, as I walked through the grounds of the university to the main Phanon Yothin Road, where I caught the number 26 bus home. There was no chance I was walking in both directions!





No comments:

Post a Comment