Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Wednesday 20 September 2023

Chanthaburi (Thailand)

The current Chanthaburi FC, a professional football club from the province of the same name based in southeast Thailand was formed in 2013, playing their games at Chanthaburi Province Stadium. This was after a reformation of the club of the same title that was formed in 2004.

In 2006 Chanthaburi were admitted into Division 1, also known as the Provincial League, where they ended in eighth place. This was followed by fourth and then a fifth-place finish as Witthaya Lhoareang topped the scoring charts.

 

Sirisak Musbu-ngor put away the goals in successive seasons which ended in poor league placings, while the goals of Kassiaty Gildas Labi in 2011 saw little improvement to general performances. Bottom place in 2012 saw Chanthaburi relegated. Prawit Wasoontara ending the season as top scorer with four goals tells its own story.

This led to a drop down to Division 2 Central-East where they finished fourth, fifth, and eighth in a season spent at Rambhai Barni Rajabhat University Stadium, where the team also played in 2011.The level was restructured leading to a move to play in Division 2 East. A tenth place slot offered no inclination as to what was to follow in the 2017 season. 

Further changes had been made to the league set up, leading to ‘The Wild Rabbits’ finding themselves placed in Thai League 4 Eastern Region. The goals of Mbassegus Mbarga led the side to the regional title assisted by Lee Jung-hun, but they fell short in the Champions League promotion playoffs.

Second place was achieved in 2018 with Chainarong Samuttha leading the scoring charts. Again, the club topped the attendance average in the region, but once again fell short of winning promotion through the playoffs.

 

For the next two campaigns Tripop Janoensheep scored most goals, with the 2020-21 season back in the third tier under head coach Arthit Onkham after further reorganisation saw them back in T3 Eastern Region.

Htoo Kapaw did his bit to cheer the crowds in 2021-22 despite a lowly league finish for the side coached by Nattapon Kokittipong before he was replaced by Tanadat Sangurai for the 2022-23 season where the goals of Luan Santos saw a divisional runners-up spot arrive. 

The side went on to top the Upper Group in the playoffs and win promotion to Thai League 2 for the 2023-24 campaign, where Brazilian coach Alexander Apsrecid was put in charge of team affairs.

Chanthaburi FC will play in Thai League 2 in the 2023-24 season.

My visit

Wednesday 16th August 2023

Koh Chang was the destination for my wife Taew and I on the Thursday, so I suggested breaking up the journey as she hadn’t driven any distance for a while. Chanthaburi seemed as nice as place as any, so off we headed from Minburi.

 

We were a little early to be checking into our hotel, so opportunity knocked for a little sightseeing. King Taksin Memorial Park was a bit of a let-down as that and the lake surrounding it was in the middle of renovation.

Fortunately, the Provincial Stadium was on the way to our accommodation, so I asked my good lady to stop while I took some pictures, which was easy through the fence. It was another slight disappointment and certainly lacking in what I expected of a second-tier venue. It was a typical Thai multi-pupose arena complete with running track.

The one stand was fine, but that was about it. Just a few rows of open bleachers opposite. I had seen previous images of a big corner stand, like the one on situ at Phisanulok but it was no longer there. The most impressive feature were the modern floodlights.

Not to worry, it was still on my list of venues to watch a game at, hopefully sometime in the future. We headed to Hotel Kasemsarn, a rather old fashioned but tidy place before going exploring around the quaint town that would certainly warrant a revisit.

The standout was probably the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception with its strong French influence, and the little lane off the river housing the Chanthaboon Waterfront Community.

Taew was happy enough as we found a lovely little boutique clothes shop, and we enjoyed a nice meal overlooking the river which was extremely good value at Yindee Café prior to retiring for the evening, before we completed our journey south the following morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment