Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Tuesday 16 April 2024

VRN Muangmont Academy (Thailand)


VRN Muangnont is a professional football club in Thailand representing the district on Nonthaburi, which is in the north west of the capital of Bangkok. Full details of the club can be found on their dedicated page via this link.

While known as STK Muangnont, their academy opened which has two full sized pitches, along with a couple an artificial surface, changing rooms, accommodation and social facilities. Five Regions Stadium is an impressive venue.

My visit

Bangkapi FC 4 Minburi United 1 (Saturday 7th May 2022) Thailand Amateur League Bangkok Group B (att: c70)


The 2022 Thailand Amateur League group stages some games played on consecutive weekends. This game, paired with the earlier encounter between Bangkok Football Academy and Navaminda Kasatriyadhiraj Royal Air Force Academy FC were scheduled for Thonburi Stadium.

Thankfully, I checked social media on Saturday morning before setting out. I can only presume the original venue was waterlogged in the horrible deluge I got caught in at the Muang Thong United Training Ground Stadium on Friday afternoon.

I’d dipped out of heading to Five Regions Stadium earlier in the tournament. It looked difficult by public transport. That was until I had discovered I could catch a minivan from near home direct to Pak Kret over the other side of the Chao Phraya River.

Another huge storm dropped on us as the van progressed along Ram Inthra. I was tempted to bail out and head home, but the forecast showed signs of improvement and the game was enticing as it would see Minburi United progress with a draw. Bangkapi needed a win.

I walked over Rama IV Bridge and continued to what turned out to be a busy industrial road. Fortunately, a taxi driver was sat on his break at the roadside and made himself available. Google Maps did the trick directing us up narrow lanes.

My driver risked his suspension on the bumpy approach to the ground before depositing me. The venue had two pitches, the second one of which was severely waterlogged. I headed for the covered spectator accommodation, which was not unlike the structure at Airport Stadium in Sam Wa.

A long low cover had a balcony with cover above it in the centre section. There were decent facilities with food and drink available. Over the other side were three small sided artificial pitches with the STK Muangmont Academy buildings at the other side.

A man who along with his wife sported a Port FC training top chatted to me in good English. They lived in Samut Prakan, while his son Suwijak Tipsana was playing for Minburi United. Other members of the family joined them, and they all seemed very pleasant.

My video showing the harshness of the conditions

I hadn’t even heard of United, despite living in Minburi until the start of the competition as they didn’t appear to play in any league that I was aware of. This put me in a spot. Two local teams. Who to go for? The family won me over, but it wouldn’t end my world either way.

The game kicked off, with it soon apparent that the pitch was verging on unplayable as you can see from this video. Fair dos to both clubs, the officials and groundstaff for wanting to get it on.

It was a decent standard in comparison to other games I’d attended at the same stage. United looked the better of the two sides. The game would change in dramatic circumstances seven minutes before the interval.

Bangkapi left back Kiadtisuk Seenunejan took what looked like a harmless free kick just inside his own half by the touchline. He launched the ball forward. Despite it being boggy in parts, it was firm in others. The ball skipped viciously and proved too strong for keeper Udomchok Sitthimanee.

Seenunejan opens the scoring as Bangkapi's photographer Pon..Boomdaddy catches me on camera

I was caught on camera behind the happy scorer by the excellent Bangkapi photographer. The goal seemed to galvanise the leading team. A half volley was also shot just wide before the interval.

I’d nibbled on some deep fried fritters which I coated with a bit too much chili sauce. I’m not sure what was in them, but they did the job, before I returned upstairs for the start of the second period. The Muangmont academy players provided entertainment over the back. I have to say they were being trained very well.

The first action of the second half saw a low skidding shot from Bangkapi’s sub Thanakorn Pheuansopa was turned round the post by Sitthimanee. A couple of efforts also went close as the team adopted a shoot on sight policy in the difficult conditions.

Bangkapi were also adept in game management. Their skipper Pramual Sriboon was constantly in the ear of referee Boonsong Prachumrak, who ideally could have been stronger, especially as the game progressed.

Bangkapi thought they’d doubled their lead when a parry was followed up and put away, but the linesman had his flag up for offside. Sitthimanee then pulled off a good save to deny half time sub Phutaress Chantasom as the female fans screamed for their favourites.

It was then the turn of Prachaya Somboondee of Bangkapi to be denied by another save. United seemed to take heart from their keeper and began to launch some attacks of their own before they drew level.

Ra-Chan Pomfhang went on a fine run down the right wing on sixty-four minutes before crossing to the far post by Tipsana who volleyed home past keeper Ruangyot Noppakaow, much to the delight of his family.

For a few minutes I thought that the Minburi side could go on and win. The Bangkapi goal had a close escape before they elder more experienced side regathered their poise going on to retake the lead midway through the half.

Sarayut Trongdee wriggled to the byline. He delivered a hard cross which Seenunejan forced over the line with his body at the back post. It was a classic game. Poor conditions with real jeopardy depending on the result. It remained that way with just two minutes of normal time remaining.

Bangkapi’s players had a habit of falling over to get the physio on. Finally, the ref instructed players to leave the pitch on a stretcher to get on with things. Minburi were chasing the game and their desperation led to the decisive moment.

The ball was lost in midfield, Arthit Permsomboon scooped it forward to put Jettipat Wongyee through on goal, where he made no mistake in making the score 3-1. I headed round to enjoy the last few minutes on the banking behind the goal.

The scoring was rounded off in the fifth minute of stoppage time when Chantasom volleyed home at the far post despite the best efforts of Sitthimanee who apart from the first goal had a fine afternoon between the sticks.

The match was a great advert for local amateur football. I would think that all the players and officials would have been thoroughly worn out on Saturday night. I ordered a Bolt taxi as a kind local shopkeeper gave me a seat to wait on.

I was dropped off in Pak Kred and headed back home by van ready for a clean up and some refreshments and music in my favourite bar.





No comments:

Post a Comment