Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Saturday 28 July 2018

Kao Kradong Stadium (Buriram)

Kao Kradong Stadium, sometimes called Buriram City Stadium, is a venue in the Isan city of Buriram, that was originally the stadium of the Provincial Administrative Organization before being renovated ready to stage top tier football.

Provincial Electricity Authority FC was relocated from Ayutthaya by Newin Chidchob at the completion of the 2009 season, to become Buriram PEA, playing their home games at Kao Kradong Stadium.

 

They remained there, playing in front of regular full houses, until the halfway point of the 2011 season, under its rebrand of I-mobile Stadium, before the renamed Buriram United moved into their new stadium a couple of miles away.

The venue played hosts to Buriram United B, who were the under 23 side of the main club, who competed in the fourth tier of the expanded Thai League between 2017 and 2018. The B team finished their debut season in sixth position with Woraphot Somsang top scoring

In 2018 United finished in ninth place as Pattara Soimalai scored the goals. The team were not allocated a place for 2019, with the regional division finding themselves with one too many clubs. The league decided that it should be Buriram who missed out.

Not long after Kao Kradong reverted to being owned by the Buriram Provincial Administrative Organization, with the new Buriram Provincial Government Center City Hall being built next door.

My visits


Saturday 16th June 2018

I was on holiday in Thailand without cricket commitments for the first time in ages. Instead, I opted to seek out places I had never previously visited and watch six football matches in ten days. I was enjoying every minute of it.


My visit to Buriram had a dual purpose, as it gave me the chance to meet up with Gary Griffiths who’d moved to the city a few years earlier. I’d met my old mate briefly the previously evening before enjoying a proper Saturday day out.

We’d already visited the Chang Arena, home of Buriram United so I could buy my ticket for that evening’s game against Chainat and looked at the motor racing circuit and then a sightseeing drive up to Khao Kradong Forest Park for some dramatic views.


Gary was keen to show me the home of United B, and indeed the whole club, until the construction of the Thunder Dome as the main stadium was known in its pre-sponsored days.

Khao Kradong Stadium was certainly a very reasonable venue with stands unusually being separate and squared rather than curved to follow the athletics track surrounding the playing surface. Three stands were open, with the main side having a cover over the centre section.


Groundsmen were preparing the pitch for the following days League 4 encounter against Khonkean United. Access was easy for me to take photos before we headed off for a welcome lunchtime beer.

Lion City Sailors 3 Daegu FC 0 (Monday 18th April 2022) AFC Champions League Group F (att: 237)

The AFC Champions League group stages saw all the matches being allocated to one stadium per group as the coronavirus pandemic gradually cleared up. This offered me an opportunity to see matches at the rebranded Buriram City Stadium for the tournament.

It was time to let the train take the strain to Isan, getting onboard at Lak Si for the long but chilled out journey reading and listening to music. I had booked the first night in the excellent Klim Hotel close to the station, where I was picked up by local chum Gary and his good lady. 

He had purchased the tickets in advance, meaning there was time to relax with beers and grab something to eat. We still managed to be struggling to make kickoff, so it must have been enjoyable where we sat.

On arrival we were delighted to see that beer was for sale, even if it was Chang, so we grabbed one each and headed round to our designated stand, only to be told we could not drink it within sight of the pitch.

I must be honest. This did not massively amuse me as the smiling girls in brewery gear failed to mention this small point when taking our cash. An obvious instance of commission before customer service, but hey ho. Those were the rules.

Before kickoff we thought that South Korean side Daegu would ne firm favourites against their Singapore opponents, which showed just what we knew. Ironically, it was the South Korean, Song Ui-young who struck a post for Lion City in the early stages.

Bruno Lamas responded, seeing his shot saved by Sailors keeper Hassan Sunny before Lion City went ahead midway through the half. Song Ui-young had been denied a minute earlier with a shot, but his header from a corner Maxime Lestienne found the top right hand corner of the net. 

Lamas went wide at the other end, prior to teammate Zeca firing just wide. Xxx saved from Hong Chul as Daegu looked to level before the interval. At the break we didn’t bother heading off for another drink. I was still a bit cranky from previously if truth be told.

The Koreans were in the ascendency after the restart, with Lamas firing over, and then having a shot blocked. Lee Keun-Ho then fired over as the pressure mounted. It was then the turn of Keita Suzuki to fire over.

Jang Seong-Won headed a Lamas cross just wide before Lamas shot down the middle of goal which was easily saved by Sunny prior to Lee Keun-Ho going close once again. Zeca saw his header saved as the frustration grew. 

It got worse for the Koreans when a fast break saw Lestienne feed Diego Lopes on a quick counterattack who put the ball away to double the lead. Daegu continued to try and find a goal in vain with both Zeca and An Yong-Woo having attempts.

City’s Adam Swandi saw a shot saved by Choi Young-Eun before Shahdan Sulaiman put in a cross that Pedro Henrique headed home to extend the lead in a bit of a smash and grab performance. Either side had efforts until referee Omar Mohamed Al Ali blew for full time. 

We headed off in the car and stopped for a beer and a snack at an impressive outside establishment by water prior to heading on to the Thunder Castle for the second half of our double bill featuring Urawa Red Diamonds and Shandong Taishan.

Vissel Kobe 2 Kitchee SC 1 (Tuesday 19th April 2022) AFC Champions League Group J (att; 391)

 

After a night in the Klim Hotel and a lounge about, my friend picked me up as we returned to the Mexican themed bar of the previous day for a lazy afternoon prior to the 6pm kick off. This time we didn’t bother with a beer, but I did pass comment on the previous days misunderstanding.

The big attraction of this encounter was seeing former Barcelona star Andrés Iniesta in action for Kobe, so we were a little disappointed when he wasn’t even on the subs bench. Not to worry, as we were still treated to a decent contest. 

It was Vissel who took the lead with fifteen minutes on the clock when a left footed shot from Yuta Goke beat Paulo César in the net of the Hong Kong side after Hélio had close for them with a header that flashed just wide.

Then Dejan Damjanovic headed over for Kitchee prior to Chan Shinichi shooting over, as they searched for the equaliser. Vissel went down the tunnel with their lead still intact in an even half.

The side from the smaller of the two islands continued to press after the restart as Sean Tse Ka Keung went close with a header. The Japanese outfit held firm and extended their lead with five minutes remaining when Koya Yuruki fed Shion Inoue who fired home.

The scorer went close again with Ruslan Mingazov responding for the opponents, but he saw his shot blacked. However, Kitchee did grab a goal back in additional time when a right foot effort from Alex Akande beat goalie Daiya Maekawa.

Kobe saw out the final few minutes easily enough before our little party headed to the AfriKa Bar, to see amiable host Geordie Robson. I was dispatched at Buriram station for the 23:44 train back south, which was a long old journey, with sleep interrupted by various loud vendors.








No comments:

Post a Comment