Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Monday 13 March 2023

Ubon Poly United (Thailand)

Ubon Poly United FC is the team of Ubon UMT Academy, which was formed in 2019. They are based at the Eastern University of Management and Technology, which is where the initials UMT come from in the city of Ubon Ratchathani.

Poly have seemingly been formed as a replacement for Ubon UTM United, carrying ta similar coloured crest, with a phoenix replacing an eagle. United had been formed in 2015, with UMT Stadium being built in the grounds of the university after spending their first season at Tung Burapha Stadium. 

‘The Eagles’ ended in second place in the third tier Division 2 Northeast in 2015, with Trinidad & Tobago international Darryl Roberts putting away the goals. This was backed up with top spot in the Champions League playoffs with victory over Satun United claiming the overall league title.

Promotion to Division 1, saw Brazilian front man Victor Cardozo slot away the goals in 2016, with Ubon finishing runners-up under coach Scott Cooper to clinch a second successive promotion, this time to the top level of Thai football.

A tenth place was achieved in 2017, as Bajram Nebihi led the scoring charts. However, 2018 saw Cooper resign and be replaced by Mixu Paatelainen, who in turn was succeeded by Sugao Kambe as United were relegated despite the goals of Apiwat Pengprakon and Somsak Musikaphan.

Ubon endured a shocking 2019 campaign, ending second from bottom in Thai League 2 as Rogerio top scored, but there was much worse to come.

The club was initially relegated to 2020 Thai League 4 by the FA Thailand owing to a failure regarding the club licensing and wage problems. United were dissolved leaving the way for the academy and Ubon Poly to use UTM Stadium.

Poly held trails and played many friendly games prior to entering the Thailand Amateur League of 2022, where they ended in third place in Northeast Southern Zone Group C with Aekkayut Thongsai coaching the side.

The team continued to build after this recruiting players and playing lots of friendly matches as Poly were admitted into the Thai Semi-Pro League of 2022-23 playing in the Northeast Region under head coach Panuwat Sripao, hoping to win promotion to the national league set up.

They failed in their first attempt in the competition, before adding United to their title for the 2023-24 campaign, which saw the appointment of head coach Sarawut Ruksasri.

Ubon Poly FC will play in the Thai Semi-Pro League Northeast in the 2022-24 season

My visits

Ubon Poly 4 Ubon Kids City 2 (Sunday 5th March 2023) Thai Semi-Pro League Northeast (att: 432)

I was keen to visit UMT Stadium as soon as I saw that it would be back in action and hosting what were decent crowds. It was the weekend before my wedding, so I decided to head to Ubon despite being at the Sisaket United match the previous evening with soon to be family.

My wonderful woman Taew did the honours and dropped me at Kanthararom where I popped round to the small bus depot to wait for a van for 53 Baht, which took around forty minutes to the large bus terminal of Ubon Ratchathani.

On arrival, there were services heading everywhere, but I soon managed to locate the City Bus which ran to the airport via the main drag. The 10 Baht fare took me to Thung Sri Mueang, a main square and park in the city.

It had historical connotations to a Briton, as the monument was provided by former Prisoners of War from the Death Railway at Kanchanaburi, who were sent to Ubon by the Japanese. The monument was a way of saying thank you to the kind locals who took care of them.

Next, I wandered down to the Mun, the large river that runs through the province to Sisaket. I decided to have pork fried rice for lunch at the friendly and excellent value at Mala Table Set, Branch 15 before a wander into the city in search of transport.

A songthaew looked to have solved that but I had to disembark as it took a right turn towards the airport, with a taxi being my salvation the rest of the way to the stadium, in time for a beer and a look around inside what was a most impressive venue as I took advantage of the free admission.

I particularly liked the ends behind each goal with substantial seating blocks, and the corner section between the near end and the main stand. Every bit of space had been used thoughtfully, and I could imagine quite an atmosphere could be built with a large sized crowd.

Possibly, its best feature, was that there was ample leg room between each row of seats, something that’s quite often overlooked. The local derby would see the hosts go to the top of the table with a win, so the encounter attracted a decent attendance, including many from over the river supporting the away side. 

Poly’s Thichanon Phimwan fired over a great chance in the early stages, as his veteran strike partner, Rachanon Srinork, threw his considerable weight around and used all his experience of getting into the ear of referee Nakarin Thongkerd who was not the strongest official I’d ever witnessed. 

There were fouls aplenty as the game woke up, with plenty of local pride at stake, with Tanyapong Saengsawang firing just wide for the visitors on what was a hot and steamy afternoon, necessitating a couple of breaks for drinks in each half. 

Home skipper Noppawit Obma clumsily brought down an opponent in the box, but his blushes were spared when keeper Pattanan Pijittham pushed the penalty away from Theerawat Sirijan in what was becoming an absorbing match which was not lacking in commitment or passion.

The hosts winger Nattapakun Paingpala looked impressive, while the visiting bench were going spare with the nearside linesman. It began to get a little naughty, and the ref thankfully seemed to get a grip for the safety of the players, entertaining though it was.

It was Paingpala who set up Phimwan with the opening goal ten minutes from the break, before the lead was doubled from the spot by Srinork after a shot from outside the area was deemed to have been handled. The goals noticeably dampened the enthusiasm of the away support.

For the second half I decided to go behind the goal that Poly were attacking, which turned out to provide me with some cracking views as the sun dropped and day turned to night. It wasn’t long before it was 3-0, as a diving header at the near post from Suphakrit Dongchan from a free kick beat goalie Krissadakorn Suepbun four minutes after the restart.

The Kids were united just prior to the hour mark when a header from a corner went in off the far post with the effort being marked down as an own goal by defender, Thiraphon Phrinphun, offering hope of a comeback.

The game became disjointed as the players tired, and Poly looked to hang on to what they’d got. I was helping a first timer try and get a ticket for the Port v Muang Thong game via Twitter, while back at UMT Taweesak Detphon fired across the face of goal for the home team. 

The frustration got all too much for Kids sub goalie Sarayut Khongcharoen who was given a red card while on the bench. In the closing stages Theodkead Siribon, a sub for Poly was put through but denied by the legs of Suepbun, before he collected the rebound and chipped into the empty net from outside the box.

There was still some action to come as Winai Jarukan saw a free kick well saved as City continued until the end. They were rewarded with the last kick of the game as Suphakon Phumkhong made the final score 4-2. 

I made my escape via the next door Nong Bua Market, happy that I’d seen a blood and thunder match without any theatrics. Just every player giving their all. I needed the assistance of a Grab taxi for the next part of the evening as I was deposited at Ubon Tap Taste House Craft Beer & Foods.

What an excellent choice this turned out to be as I had three glasses of extremely hoppy ale at 6.5% percent which quenched the taste buds and was soaked up a good if small portion of spaghetti carbonara, and a perfect plate of piping hot chips.

The bar played excellent music at just the right volume and had good staff. It’s one that I would recommend, but just for an occasional treat, as the prices were at the higher end. That said I received a 10% discount, which was appreciated.

A further taxi was booked, which took me to the station in time for the 8.30pm train, with my fare to Kanthararom costing 7 Baht. At the other end, my regular cab driver Toy was waiting as Taew had made the arrangements for me.

I really liked Ubon and enjoyed my first proper visit. I don't know why, perhaps the wide avenues, quiet tree lined streets, the football stadium design and craft pub that reminded me of a small Dutch or German city.

There was a bit of a surprise awaiting on the lane close to home as a far larger wedding than I imagined was taking place, with a full stage being erected in the garden, with singers, dancers, and a band. It was of Tawandang Brewery size in Bangkok. We managed to squeeze past the people buying from stalls outside the house.

There was only one way to round the night off, as my good lady and I headed down there to bump into friends and family and have some beers and a dance. It was most certainly the biggest wedding within 100 metres that week. What a great day, though I paid for it the following morning.

Ubon Poly United 0 Udon Banjan United 2 (Sunday 10th March 2024) Thai Semi-Pro League Northeast (att: 620)

An hour ride down the 226 road to Ubon Ratchathani where an excellent display for the visitors put them back on top of the regional division, from which the champions are promoted to T3 and the national set up.

When the teams lined up for the King’s Anthem, John, my regular attending mate, pointed to the difference in height and build between the two sides, with Poly looking far more adept in being able to deal with the physical demands of the game, and so it proved in the first fifteen minutes or so.

However, for all their good play, they failed to lay a glove on the visitors where it mattered. The more slight and quicker Udon side slowly got into things and began to dominate the midfield with their pressing. The tiny right back looked exposed but he kept his discipline, meaning the fella he was marking would be withdrawn at the interval.

By then a superb passing move put in Phongphat Pholphut to score smartly past keeper Panupong Pijittham at the back post. The goalie was pressed further into action making a good stop as the highly impressive home crowd were given a shock. The winners of the game would go top after three games, with Ubon Poly the favourites for the title among many observers including myself.

We opted for a seat behind the goal after the break, not least to enjoy the stunning sight of the setting sun and temple behind the far end. The pace of the moves being out together by the away side was leaving Ubon all at sea, too predictable and cumbersome at times. Then referee Rutratchapoom Moolpong decided he would get in on the action.

I couldn’t remember the last time I saw a free kick awarded for a deliberate back pass, but that’s what we gave, despite angry protestations from home players and supporters alike. The wall was nowhere near ten yards back, but it wasn’t to deter the plans of the Udon side. 

The ball was laid slightly backwards and square to Sittipat Kreearee who smashed his effort in the very top corner. It was a brilliant strike leaving the hosts with a real uphill battle with just over half an hour remaining. Battle they did and forced visiting custodian Wiraphat Chainikhom into making two brilliant stops as well as being rescued by the woodwork. 

The frame of the goal was also rattled at the other end, as Udon undid their hosts at will, and should have really won by a wider margin. Their head coach Supachchart Manakit is one to keep an eye on if he could produce sides like Udon Banjan.

A wonderful day out as ever, special for me as it was my wedding anniversary. A lift from my good lady to the pickup point and then quality cuisine and Laos Dark beers at Peppers which really is worth a visit in Ubon. It was a pleasant surprise to see vendors selling beer outside which could be taken in as well as a table where home shirts were for sale for 390 THB (8.50).

No fans of current T3 side Ubon Kruanapat in evidence, but plenty including a gaggle of expats in old Ubon United colours. A chat to a couple after the game included the predictable but disappointing reasons that one didn’t want to live in York anymore. John kindly dropped me at home where my wife had a bottle of Jacobs Creek red waiting with some food. A really good day.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment