Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Monday 24 April 2023

Mahasarakham Sambaitao (Thailand)

Mahasarakham Sambaitao, or SBT, FC is a professional football club based in the city of Mahasarakham in northeast Thailand. Formed in 2009 as Mahasarakham FC with the nickname of the Isaan Tigers, the club was admitted into the third tier Regional League North Eastern Division.

Led by coach Pinet Daoruang the team played home matches at IPE Mahasarakham Stadium prior to becoming Mahasarakham City FC a year later as they finished in ninth place, one lower than in their debut campaign. 

Similar finishes were maintained for the following few seasons. In 2011 the club title was changed to Mahasarakham United, with matches being switched to Mahasarakham Rajabhat University Stadium.

Fifth place was achieved in 2014, with the promising return being backed up as the club took on the name of Marasarakham FC in 2015, with sixth place in 2016. In 2017 it was seventh with Rewat Yothapakdee banging away the goals in Thai League 4 Northeastern Region following a restructuring of the leagues.

Nitipong Ruangsa and then Teerathep Pangkam shared the goals for ‘The Great Purple Crabs’ who struggled near the wrong end of the table in 2019 and then 2020-21 as the side was placed in the third tier Thai League 3 Northeastern Region following further league adjustments as Manaschai Pupaisit coached the team.

With Worawit Tason in goal, Mahasarakham had an improved 2021-22 with a seventh place finish aided by the goals of Fellipe Veloso the club added Sambaitao (or SBT) to their title and changed crest. Sanphapakron Srijan started the season as coach before being replaced by Jakaraj Tonehongsa

The improvement continued with a fantastic 2022-23 campaign in which the team was crowned as regional division champions.Nattapon Thaptanon and Wanit Chaisan shared the goals for Tonehongsa’s team, while Ittikorn Kansrang was impressive in goal.

My visit

Mahasarakham SBT 0 Sisaket United 0 (Saturday 22nd April 2023) T3 Champions League (Northern) Play Offs (att: 1,349)

A month or so prior to this match I had hopes of going, but I hadn’t a clue how I would manage it. Then a couple of weeks before it, my wife Taew was driving us back to our Sisaket home from the Chiang Mai International Cricket Sixes when we passed the stadium.

Around the same time, she said she wanted to stop off and see an old friend who lived an hour away in Suwannaphum. Not a problem, I said as my brain quickly worked out the possibilities opening in front of my eyes. 

Neng had a roadside restaurant and knocked me up a very tasty pad krapow for lunch. The two old friends got nattering, and I suggested we returned and stayed over after the football so that they could enjoy some drinks and food and we could stay over.

All agreed we set out around midday on matchday, with my good lady suggesting some sightseeing on the way, which was not a problem for me. Phrathat Na Dun is a religious sanctuary holding Buddhist artifacts, and it was bloody hot. 

I was as hot as I’d ever felt in my life and delighted to have an ice cream and cold drinks. A stop by the road for food and we were on our way, arriving at Mahasarakaham Province Stadium just over half an hour prior to kick off.

Explaining to Taew where to use the toilets and get drink and food if she wanted it while I went into the match, I was taken aback when she said she was going in with me. Not to say delighted. Her first ever live match. I must have been doing something right! 

The stadium was similar to many others owned by the Sports Authority of Thailand, with one covered stand, an open one opposite, a running track around the pitch, and nothing behind the curves in the way of spectator accommodation.

Tickets were 60 Baht, as I took us to where I guessed the sensible away fans who wanted shelter would head. My judgement was sound as we were among the majority of the away fans with just a smattering in the official visitor’s section in the sun opposite.

 

We were treated to an entertaining and feisty encounter with no passion missing. The hosts badly needed a win to stay in touch of a top two place and possible promotion. United were playing for pride and to stop their Isan rivals.

Sometimes I questioned the attitude of the Sisaket players, particularly the three Brazilians but not on this occasion as they gave everything. Romario was outstanding throughout, getting stuck in and making intelligent runs and always being available. 

Both defences held the upper hand with chances being at a premium. The hosts had a header go over from Brazilian striker Erivelto in the early stages that should really have been on target before Thepwirun Chatkittirot volleyed wide.

Taew was getting right into it, probably not realising the physical nature of a game from her brief looks on TV while she laughed at the comments of other fans, including a disabled Sisaket follower who I’d seen at ever match I’d attended. A proper fan as he constantly made a noise down his home made vuvuzela.

A fine wide pass picked out United’s Suphaphon Sutthisak, who always impressed me. His low cross was close to being converted by Cristian Alex and Neto, but neither could get a definitive touch to force the ball home.

Shortly after, all hell broke loose when Romario was extremely incensed as he later indicated that a home defender had grabbed him somewhere painful and private. It took many players of both sides to calm him down while home defender Nopparat Sakunood ran across the pitch to crank him up further.

Both players received a yellow card and fortunately the half time whistle came soon afterwards, but not before Nattapon Thaptanon was played in but his low cross was deflected into the side netting. At the break I took advantage of a large bucket of popcorn and a beer for a combined total of just 100 Baht.

Shortly after the restart the reliable Sisaket keeper Itthipon Kamsuprom was fortunately when he kicked out of his hands straight into the back of, with the ball rebounding past him and just wide of the post.

On fifty-two minutes Wanit Jaisaen saw his shot come back off the underside of the Sisaket bar. Erivelto fluffed his follow up, with the ball landing at the feet of Phituckchai Limraksa whose effort was superbly pushed over by Kamsuprom.

At the other end, a low cross from Bunyarit Srinam was put on the half volley over by Neto, who should have done better. Both sides went for it in the closing stages as the match increased in entertainment as play was stretched. 

With three minutes of normal time remaining Kamsuprom flapped at a cross. The ball fell to xx whose sliced effort was headed goalwards and onto the underside of the bar by Teerapak Punboonchu before the follow up from Alberto Gouveia was headed off the line by Pakornkiat Kaena, before Komkrik Cumsokcheak saw his shot go narrowly wide.

Then a bicycle kick from Erivelto passed by the post, with Romario seeing his long range low free kick gathered by keeper Ittikorn Kansrang in the last of the action. The home fans couldn’t believe their side hadn’t scored. 

I was happy that Sisaket gave it everything and felt that the players would have gone to any length to prevent their opponents winning, which I liked. The erratic performance of erratic referee Narongsak Kubkun also added to the drama.

At full time the journey took around ninety minutes back to Suwannaphum where we met Neng at Leela house Kasalong. The large Leo’s were only 70 Baht, while the surroundings and service were excellent. I enjoyed the live band too. 

In fact, I also thought the food was very nice, but the two ladies disagreed, and as they are both fine chefs, I decided that they were correct to save time. They probably were to be fair, with my taste buds still not accustomed to the judgement of the quality of Thai food.

We said our goodbye and headed to the nearby Premium Hotel, which was anything but what its name suggested, but we were tired and had a few drinks, so it was just about better than nothing. At least it gave us a laugh later.

The following morning, we headed home early, stopping at the attractive Rasisalai Dam tourist attraction on route and then Anny Restaurant near Sisaket Railway Station for breakfast before buying an air con unit for the house and doing the weekly shopping. A quality trip, with hopefully many more similar to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment