Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Thursday 3 August 2023

Berwick Rangers (Scotland)

 

Berwick Rangers FC is a football club from the Northumberland border town of Berwick-on-Tweed in England who have played most of their football in Scottish competitions as the town has changed nationality several times through border wars throughout history before finally remaining English from 1482.

The club goes right back to the 7th January 1881, when a side led by local businessman and town councillor Peter Cowe would gather to train on the Bull Stob Close pitch prior to their first game against Alnwick.

It was 1884 before the constitution of the club was formed while Pier Field was considered a temporary home. ‘The Wee Gers’ became champions of the Northumberland League at the turn of the century after they began playing at the Meadow Field in Tweedmouth.

In 1905 Rangers were affiliated to the Scottish FA, entering the Scottish Border League and then the Border Amateur League from the commencement of the 1908-09 campaign. A move to the East of Scotland League followed in 1919. 

A ground now known as Old Shielfield Park was sourced, adjacent to the current venue and home for several seasons of Tweedmouth Rangers FC. Several attempts to join the North Northumberland League were turned down over the years.

Berwick became members of Scottish Football League C Division (North & East) in 1951 ending in midtable under manager Bobby Ancell. The following season saw an improvement to third place, but the club had a continual coming and going of team bosses which affected consistency. 

In 1954 the club moved into the new Shielfield Park after going out in the quarter final of the Scottish Cup the previous season against Rangers, with a stand being purchased from Bradford City’s Valley Parade home was installed. The Borderers were placed in an enlarged Division B, which was renamed Division Two a year later.

In 1955-56 and 1956-57 the team reached the fifth round of the Scottish Cup going out in an away tie to Ayr United and then at home to Falkirk. Danny McLennan arrived as manager for a three-year period to be succeeded by Jimmy McIntosh and then Ian Spence who both served for similar lengths of time. 

It was under Spence that the side reached the semi-final of the League Cup going out 3-1 to Rangers. The Glasgow giants were on Berwick’s radar after goalkeeper Jock Wallace took over as player-manager.  

13,365 packed into Shielfield was Rangers were defeated 1-0 in the first round of the Cup, which would cost some their careers at Ibrox. The Wee Gers went out in the next round as approaching 30,000 fans attended the tie at Easter Road against Hibernian. 

Harry Melrose replaced Wallace who went on to have an excellent coaching and management career, but it would be under Dave Smith that the club finally won something of note when they became the third tier Division Two champions in 1978-79 in a period which would see Eric Tait become the record appearance holder.

Their spell in the second level lasted two seasons, with success being rare thereafter. Third places were achieved in 1983-84 and then again in 1995-96 under the stewardship of Tait following a runners-up spot in 1993-94 through the endeavours of Tom Hendrie. However, only the champions went up that season owing to league re-organisation.

 

Promotion with Paul Smith in charge of the team was achieved in 1999-00 before the team went back down in 2004-05. The 2005-06 season saw Rangers in the fourth tier Third Division where they reached the play-offs under John Coughlin, losing to Ayr United.

There was no mistake the following season as Berwick went up as champions but dropped straight back down twelve months later with Michael Renwick being at the helm for most of the campaign, as once again competing financially was difficult.

 

2012-13 saw another stab at promotion through the play-offs but East Fife proved too strong for Ian Little’s outfit. Colin Cameron took over as manager and his side reached the quarter final of the Cup in 2014-15 losing 4-0 away to Hibernian.

The struggles in the league became desperate at times, especially as a play-off had been introduced between the bottom side in the fourth tier and the winners of the clash between the Lowland and Highland Leagues to secure Scottish League football.

 

After two finishes third from bottom, Berwick ended in last place in 2018-19. Cove Rangers won the two-legged tie which led to the team from Shielfield being relegated to the Lowland League. Little returned for the first couple of seasons back in non-league as the team ended twelfth and then tenth.

Stuart Malcolm took over in the hotseat overseeing an improvement of two places, before seventh place was achieved in 2022-23.

Berwick Rangers FC will play in the Lowland League in the 2023-24 season.

My visit

Tuesday 13th July 2021 

I had a week on annual leave from work and knowing I would be moving fulltime to Thailand soon after, I decided to have a tour around parts of England. The restrictions from the coronavirus pandemic were gradually being lessened but care was still needed when planning.

I’d had a day and night in Scarborough, seen rugby league in Keighley followed by watching England in the final of the Euros against Italy in a Leeds hotel room before a blank day cricket wise at Chester-le-Street. It still led to a boozy day in the company of great mates.

On to Newcastle where the excesses meant an early night. Up bright and early I wanted to make the most of the day. I had hoped to see football in Berwick in the Charity Cup at The Stanks in the town, but a brief visit on the train would have to suffice.

The town seemed pleasant enough and very picturesque in parts, having previously only seen it from a window on passing trains. It allowed me time to explore properly and get some exercise in the bracing seaside air. Having completed sightseeing it was time to cross the river into Tweedmouth.

It was a fair old walk to Shielfield Park, so I wasn’t enormously happy to arrive and find the venue totally locked up. I tried using my selfie stick the wrong way round to get some snaps over the walls of the stands when I saw a car approaching.

 

My luck was in. It was the groundsman who kindly let me go inside before he gave me a proper tour and insight of the club telling me the struggles attracting players, especially since they dropped out of the SPFL and became a Lowland League side.

All done, I gave my thanks and headed back down the hill to the river and back into Berwick grabbing some lunch and then relaxing and taking photos of The Stanks prior to my train back which was followed by a siesta and then beer prior to heading to the Hebburn Town v Whitby Town friendly.





No comments:

Post a Comment