Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Thursday 14 September 2023

Sitsaman Academy (Thailand)

Sitsaman Academy was formed in 1998 and provides coaching and football for underage players to learn their skills and represent their club. It is based off Hathai Rat Road in Samwa District in the northeast of the Thai capital Bangkok.

The club boasts impressive facilities with two pitches, and a clubroom and outdoor area which includes a restaurant, and changing rooms, while snacks and drinks are also available along with club clothing.

My visit

Linping 2 Prize of Wood 3 (Sunday 27th August 2023) Bangkok Premier League Division 1 (att: c10)

Linping moved this game a couple of miles south from their usual Airport Stadium base to the highly impressive Sitsaman Academy facility, which would cause confusion as three players arrived late having gone to the wrong ground, with them starting with ten men despite having a sub goalie sat doing nothing.

Unsurprisingly the away side went into the lead on thirteen minutes in the battle of two company owned or sponsored sides. Xekphcn̒ Pho Khao skipped past a desperate lunging challenge from Piyachot Pholdee to round keeper Seri Rak Promraj and slot home. 

The goalie deflected another Pho Khao effort wide and then made an astonishing point blank save from a powerful header from Tanzanian midfielder Michael Mgimwa. Pho Khao again rounded the stopper but skewed wide and missed another glaring opportunity.

His scattergun approach up front was made to pay when Linping levelled things up. A low free kick from Thatchawee Suwanpanya was fumbled by custodian Wanchana Songsi allowing Somnuk Promchan to tap home. 

The visitors fielded a second foreigner, the Kiwi Tristan Cooper while Nigerian Sheriff Adetoyinbo added overseas flair to the home team line up. Eventually Pho Khao found the target again with the last kick of the first half as his side went in 2-1 ahead.

After the interval he continued to waste chances galore. His pace was often too much for the defence, but he dallied to often, as confidence seemed to drain out of him. Adetoyinbo forced a good save out of Songsi before away team skipper Peerapol Chinnarat reminded his forward how it should be done as he went through and finished neatly.

The otherwise impressive number 15 for Limping missed an opportunity, when Songsi, who is listed as a defender on the website, fumbled, which may have explained his lack of handling prowess. Adetoyinbo grabbed one back with around eight minutes to go but his side couldn’t claw back an equalizer. A game not always of the highest skill levels but most entertaining.

I’d walked to the ground off Hathai Rat Soi 39 in the northeast of Bangkok, which took around an hour and, on the approach, saw a huge monitor lizard cross the lane up ahead of me. Like most pitches at this level, it had high netting surrounding it. The second pitch had kid’s games taking place.

Around the main pitch there was open seating, two small covered elevated stands, covered dug outs, a few benches on the far side, floodlights, plus a gantry where a man put out sporadic announcements. A very tidy set up indeed.

I was home within twenty minutes courtesy of one of the local small bus services with a few Thai brewed beers from 7/11 to wash down the meal cooked by the beloved.





No comments:

Post a Comment