Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 4 September 2024

Nakhonpathom United (Thailand)

 

The origins of Nakhonpathom United go back to 1999 when they were originally founded as Nakhon Pathom FC, representing the historic city located fifty-six km west of the Thai capital of Bangkok.

The club became members of what was considered the second tier Thailand Provincial League where they finished midtable at the first attempt. The side achieved three consecutive third place finishes in the competition between 2004 and 2006, which saw them move up to the Thai Premier League.

At this time the team played their home games at Sanam Chan Palace Sports Stadium in the city centre. They had relocated to Kasetsart Kampangsan University Stadium in 2009 when they had former Northwich Victoria players Michael Byrne and Michael Aspin in the side.

Unfortunately, the overseas signings couldn’t help, as Nakhon Pathom were relegated. In 2010 the goals of Phuwadol Suwannachart helped the team to the playoffs which ended in chaos and a fracas against Sisaket which saw the club suspended for two seasons.

Returning as Nakhonpathom United as members of Thai Division 1 League in 2013, the club took up residence at Nakhon Pathom Municipality Sport School Stadium. Kim Woo-Chul led the scoring as the team ended up in twelfth spot under head coach Vimol Jankam.

He was succeeded by Peter Withe in 2014 as Jeong Woo-geun put away the goals. After a disappointing campaign, the ‘King Tigers’ finished fifth after the managerial reins had been passed onto Jason Withe. Thawatchai Damrong-Ongtrakul took over team affairs the following season, one in which the team finished twelfth and Yusei Ogasawara top scored.

League rebranding took place for 2017 as Nakhonpathom played in the second tier Thai League 2, finishing seventh thanks to the goals of Berlin Ndebe-Nlome in the team coached by Phayong Khunnaen. However, the club failed to hand in their club licensing documents and were therefore demoted administratively to Thai League 4.

The goals of Diego Oliveira Silva took the side to the T4 West title following the appointment of new head coach Thongchai Sukkoki. The same combo paid dividends the following season as the Thai League 3 Lower championship was won, with the reward being a place in Thai League 2 in 2020-21.

The playoffs were reached with Tauã topping the scoring charts, as Chainat Hornbill were defeated before Khong Kaen United won the final on penalties after sides had finished level on aggregate. Around this time the club owner Panuwat Sasomsup announced plans to build a new stadium along similar lines to Ratchaburi FC.

Neto Santos was the next fans favourite in front of goals before Peter Nergaard hit the target regularly in 2022-23 as Nakhonpathom lifted the title under coach Thongchai to win promotion to Thai League 1. The coach was lured by the temptation of taking the job at BG Pathum United to be replaced by Singaporean, Akbar Nawas.

The team ended twelfth in 2023-24 with Lesley Ablorh top scoring.

Nakhonpathom United FC will play in Thai League 1 in the 2024-25 season.

My visit

Nakhonpathom United 0 Bangkok United 3 (Thursday 29th August 2024) Thai League 1 (att: 2,329) 

Being down in Bangkok for a couple of weeks interrupted by the pleasures of Trat and then the Koh Chang Beach Cricket Tournament, I was pleasantly surprised when checking out the football fixtures that I had an opportunity to visit somewhere that I hadn’t been before.

While as ever, it was always going to be about more than ninety minutes of football, it would be good to see a topflight encounter and meet Lyle Andrews, a Middlesbrough and Nathonpathom fan who is a fellow contributor to A Thai Football Podcast. It was time to put plans in place.

 

My wife Taew declined the invitation as she’d visited the city before, so I set off around 10am to make the most of the day, travelling into Minburi by songthaew and then Bangkapi by rickety bus on what was a transport themed day out. Next up after some food was the Saen Saep canal boat to Saphan Panfa in the heart of the city.

A bus took me round to Phra Arthit from where I had a nervous wait but an enjoyable chat with a Kiwi tourist waiting for the express river boat over to Thonburi Railway Station Pier, where my lack of research nearly put a spanner in the works. 

The station formerly stood near the pier, now it was an eight-minute walk away, not ideal when pushed for time. A jogged a little of the way and bought a 40 THB ticket before collapsing into my seat. I would be travelling a distance from home to Nakhon Pathom of ninety km for a princely sum of 105 THB, or £2.33.

The train ran perfectly to time through some interesting settlements and the countryside, arriving at around 3.30pm, ideal for a 6pm kickoff. Indeed, the kickoff time was the big attraction as it allowed me to get the last train back at 8.30pm. I was off in search of the major attraction which was visible from outside the station. 

Phra Pathom Chedi, a towering fourth century Buddhist temple was mightily impressive and well worth the 60 THB admission fee that foreigners were charged. I had a good look around inside the grounds before heading to an Amazon Café for refreshments and to charge my phone, but not before being met with some interesting encounters.

It was just past 4pm and some ladies asked me if I was looking for some fun as I strolled along Rachadamnern Soi 1. Well, they say it’s the quiet ones. A street in this case. It certainly gave me a giggle as I settled in the welcome air con on what was a warm afternoon, before I commandeered a Bolt taxi to the stadium. 

Lyle, his good lady Jang, and her eccentric auntie were great company before the match as they supplied me with beer and a warm welcome. The stadium wasn’t allowed to sell alcohol as it was on educational land, so it was a case of taking your own or buying from a stand on the main road.

With kickoff imminent I bought a ticket in the open end of the main stand for 140 THB so I was near the road for getting away on a tight schedule, before taking my seat inside what had been adapted into a smart arena, even though the pitch had a running track surrounding it.

The club had negated the issue by erecting a semi-permanent open seated stand behind each goal close to the pitch, adding lots of livery to brighten up what could of otherwise being thought of as a dull stadium. My seat also had plenty of leg room, which was appreciated.

The visitors were favourites going into the encounter and so it proved, despite Mahmoud Eid missing an absolute sitter when set up by the impressive Richairo Živković. It was Eid who opened the scoring with a back post header after thirty-four minutes, with credit being due to the linesman on the far side.

I was certain the player supplying the cross was offside, but a quick check by the VAR team confirmed that the goal was good. By now it was obvious to me that the hosts were going to face a real struggle as they hadn’t had a shot on goal, and things were about to get a whole lot worse.

What looked like a clear penalty close to where I was sat was not initially awarded by referee Sivakorn Pu-Udom, but he reversed his thinking after being beckoned to the VAR monitor to award a spot kick, correctly in my view. 

It had been caused when keeper Wattanachai Srathongjan scuffed his kick, hitting defender Veljko Filipović on the back of the leg. He reacted slowly and tripped up the Bangkok attacker when he was heading away from the goal. Živković made no mistake from eighteen yards a couple of minutes before the interval.

The break was spent with my friends enjoying another beer, as they lamented the performance being put up by their side. We said our farewells, with plans being made to meet up once again a few weeks later in Khon Kaen. I retook a similar position for the second half.

 

The side who travelled from the capital, or north of it to be properly accurate, were in total control despite Nakhonpathom huffing and puffing and creating pressure without really looking like scoring, as their supporters tried to rally their troops.

It was not to be as substitute Pokklaw Anan rounded off the scoring two minutes from time after Wattanachai had pulled off a fine stop.By now I was delighted to have successfully ordered a cab, as I knew that time was of the essence. 


My driver was first-class dropping me by the station fifteen minutes before my train. I had time to nip to 7/11 for a bottle of pop and some snacks before purchasing my ticket from the friendly lady behind the counter who couldn’t decipher where I wanted to go.

In the office were a group of western young ladies who looked like they were about to do a night shift in a factory, such was their miserable demeanour, rather than heading south to another stunning location to have the time of their lives. Such first world issues as having to walk up some steps to the platform while the station was being redeveloped apparently caused consternation. 

I, on the other hand, could not have been happier after enjoying a wonderful time. I alighted from the train at Jaran Sanitwong, a stop short of the Thonburi terminus, to connect with the MRT at the adjoining Bang Khun Non station. The light railway took me round to Chatuchak Park where I went upstairs for the service near home.

This time I got out at Ram Inthra Kor Mor 6, with my groceries, and took a taxi back to our Hat Hai Rat condo. It cost a bit more than the outward journey, but I was in bed three hours after the fulltime whistle, ahead of schedule. Great fun.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment