Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Monday 19 August 2024

Police Ladkrabang (Thailand)

 

Police Ladkrabang FC is an amateur football club representing the police of the district of Lat Krabang, which is located near to Suvarnabhumi Airport. The club became members of the Bangkok Premier League for the 2024-25 season.

The club played their home games in its debut season in the competition at Mitreejitr Stadium, which is also known by its former name of Kade FC Football Field. The team was coached by Nateethorn Buaklee.

Police Ladkrabang FC will play in the Bangkok Premier League in the 2024-25 season.

My visit

Police Ladkrabang 3 Nonthaburi City 2 (Sunday 18th August 2024) Bangkok Premier League (att: c35)

Staying at our condo in Hat Hai Rat in the district of Sam Wa for a few days before heading to the Koh Chang Beach Cricket Tournament, I had a few choices of where to go for my football fix. In the end I think I picked the perfect few hours, but not only because of the football.

As ever, I was keen to add to the list of grounds where I had seen a game take place. My attention was caught when checking the league Facebook page and seeing this fixture, especially when the ever-helpful competition boss Aeh told me where the venue was. 

As if by chance we passed the main road near to the venue when nearing the end of a nine-hour journey from Sisaket a couple of days earlier. That sealed my decision as I turned down the temptations of some professional encounters. I would not regret it.

I needed some exercise so set out an hour before the 4pm kickoff and decided to walk as far as I could before ordering a Grab taxi at 3.40. This worked perfectly as I sauntered along listening the Greg Davies on Desert Island Discs via the BBC Sounds App, before my car arrived. 

We were in the car park five minutes before the start as I quickly got my bearings and tried to work out the best vantage point to watch from. Many had taken their own folding chairs or had taken advantage of a few benches scattered around the place. I originally sat on the grass behind the high net surrounding the pitch, but the view was poor.

An empty plastic fuel container looked like my salvation as I leant against one of the supporting pillars for the net which also had a floodlight on the top. However, I then spotted some unused benches where a young chap was dusting one down. I beckoned him to help me lift it inside the net where he asked if he could join me. 

The Nonthaburi coach was saying something and presumed he was telling me not to encroach, though the picture would become clearer. Tong, with apologies if I have misspelt his name, had been asked to watch after he’d been in touch with City after asking for a game for them.

He explained that he was a former Academy player with Nakhon Ratchasima and was studying at Thammasat University. He wanted to gain experience in open age football and find a club. I did my best to help with suggestions using my knowledge and contacts as we enjoyed each other’s company while watching the game. 

Tong was intrigued why I was making notes and presumed that I was a scout. I explained my passion for going to games, as it turned out I had a kindred spirit, as he had travelled thirty-seven kilometres on his motorbike. Just the sort of enthusiasm I admire, and thought had died out.

We were treated to a fair old encounter on the pitch too. It was a large playing surface which had suffered from heavy rain in the not-too-distant past, as it cut up in parts. Just the type I used to love playing on in local league football back home. It encouraged endeavour and lots of tackling.

 

The ref let the game flow as both teams gave everything that they’d got. The visitors came close to taking the lead when the Nigerian Emmanuel Mogekwu saw his effort come back off the post before his side took the lead against the hosts who started in a loftier position in the league table.

Ponsri Banpidklang tucked away his shot after a cut back from the Egyptian schemer Osama Abdelaziz after nineteen minutes. The multicultural City line up also included Cameroon defender Mathurin Miendjin who wasn’t the quickest but read the game very well. 

A long ball saw the Police respond, then their leading scorer Suphakit Tangphan collect the pass with keeper Thanapat Phongchaem coming out to meet him. Clever footwork fooled the custodian before the forward finished delightfully into an empty net from wide on the edge of the box right on halftime.

By now Tong had introduced me to his girlfriend in Bang Saen by video call and shown me pictures of his game against India u17s in Korat. He was thrilled when I responded with a photo of me with the Swatcat mascot on my visit as we chatted using a combination of Thai, English and google Translate. 

He asked me what I thought about the standard of the league and where could he get opportunities. He explained that newly promoted Dome FC based at Thammasat were going for players of experience for their T3 campaign. I did my best, while being no expert.

Ponsri saw his cross come back off the bar soon after the restart in what was a very enjoyable game to watch. The linesman near us was large, and obviously enjoying himself judging by the way he chatted with us and smiled constantly. How different to those who seem to go through hell as they are endlessly abused at pro games. 

Ponsri stung the palms of Ladkrabang goalie Chaithawat Ongrab before Thanapat made two fine saves at the other end. Then his side responded to take the lead with a fine counterattack move on sixty-five minutes as Weerayut Kachuwong rounded Chaithawat and then score from the narrowest of angles.

Within a couple of minutes Natthaphon Yenjai had put away a penalty to level things up after a trip by Nyembi Loth had been penalised. Not long after, what seemed like appeals for a certain penalty were waved away by the man in the middle before Suphakit cut inside with seven minutes left on the clock to score the winning goal. 

At fulltime I said goodbye to my new friend, before setting off for another little walk. Lots of pleasant greetings were exchanged when leaving which was continued down the lanes to the hospital where I figured it would be easier to get a taxi. I also discovered that the ground had a small restaurant outside to buy snacks and drinks.

That would have to be for next time. I wanted to get home to enjoy food bought near the condo and then watch the football from the UK over a few beers. A perfect Sunday adventure as I remembered why I loved the glorious game and Thailand in equal huge measures.




No comments:

Post a Comment