Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 13 August 2024

Sisaket United (Thailand) from Aug 24

To read all about the history of the club and my previous visits to home game prior to August 2024, please click on this link.

Sisaket United 1 Pattaya United 1 (Saturday 10th August 2024) Thai League 2 (att: 2,512)

Plenty of anticipation awaited as Sisaket embarked on their maiden second tier campaign in Thai football. What we received was a game that offered plenty of everything and more than enough to keep the spectators entertained before the match and then when it started it 6.30pm.

New Brazilian signing Abner was fed by compatriot Danilo after just seven minutes to finish in style past keeper Phiyawat Intrapim. All looked good for the hosts in a fast-paced encounter in which visiting forward, another Brazilian, Patrick Cruz looked a class above all others on show with his neat footwork.

This was aided by the Sisaket coach, predictably going into defence mode and leaving the three imports up front with the space between them and the rest of the team being large enough to host the Surin elephant Festival. Remarkably enough, pressure was gradually built before Pattaya equalised after half an hour when a cross saw Pakornkiat Kaena put through his own goal. 

At which point, the visiting Dolphins for some reason decided that they would become more defensive minded and rely on breaks than grab a game by the scruff of the neck that was waiting to be won. The third Sisaket Brazilian, Caique, had been played on the left wing, despite him being a creative forward pressing midfielder. 

The one-dimensional tactics had done for him as he was withdrawn just after the hour mark as I offered the coach feedback. The game became niggly, passionate, and naughty at times. I compared it to watching England play against themselves at the recently finished Euros. 

The home team coach failed to use most of the talent at his disposal because I’m not sure he knows how to. The away side settled for a draw when a win was on the cards. Meanwhile, the Pattaya players fell over with alarming regularity having quickly realised that referee Nasri Tamat was as weak, taking advantage of his general cluelessness. 

Dolphins coach Theerawekin Seehawong went on the pitch three times to remonstrate, before he was eventually shown to the stands. The stretcher bearers were overworked before players suddenly and miraculously jumped to their feet. 

Patrick Cruz and his teammate Waleed Adel decided to exchange punches with each other, before a combination of Abner and Danilo missed a glorious chance during the additional seven minutes of stoppage time at the back post from a well delivered free kick.

All in all, a feisty affair, but as ever it was only part of a good day out. The later kick-off than in previous seasons allowed for a proper drink pre match, both in Leo’s and Hong Kong Garden after getting a van from Kanthararom. In the first place Caique was in with a friend having a water. I did warm him about the coach then and I got the impression that he sort of knew already. 

My pal John was waiting for a late lunch before we headed to the stadium earlier than usual and via an off license. Sisaket going up would undoubtedly improve the standard of the matches, but there were most certainly things that didn’t appeal to me, not least only Chang being the only beer available rather than Leo.

That was resolved by me taking my own and putting them in a plastic cup to take in acquired from one of the vendors. In fairness to the club, they made some kind of effort, with tables and chairs on the main road behind the stand to create some kind of fan zone. Designated seats were required while the price had nearly doubled to 100 THB, which was around £2.25 in the best position. 

Caique’s friend turned out to be another Brazilian who had signed for Rasisalai United in T3. He and his girlfriend sat just behind us and were good company. I would look forward to seeing him perform a month or so later, especially if he scores as many goals as he told me he would.

Full time my driver somehow managed to get through the cordon to park near the exit before I had one last beer with my wife who had better observational ability than the ref by identifying that I had already sampled several beers.

Sisaket United 1 Chiangmai United 1 (Sunday 15th September 2024) Thai League 2 (att: 2,399) 

An entertaining game as Sisaket equalised late on. Plenty of endeavour, skill, and dross with controversy of a goal each being chalked off, so standard Thai fare really.

The hosts came into the encounter in the playoff places, the visitors from the north third from bottom, not that anyone would know on this showing. Perhaps both sides were in false positions with Sisaket punching above their weight following promotion. 

The game was played at a frantic pace throughout with midfielders having a quiet time as the ball fizzed from end to end. I rated the away sides front foreigners, Carlos Neto and Arnold Suew above the home pairing of Danilo and Caique Ribero. This was especially true in the opening exchanges, with the footwork of Carlos Neto outstanding.

His side went ahead through a long-range swerving free kick from Suew after half an hour of proceedings. I’m not entirely sure keeper Adisak would have been too pleased with his effort in trying to stop it. The visitors wearing light grey shirts with white numbering coming close in the very poor effort stakes. 

Danilo missed an absolute sitter on the stroke of halftime heading wide from five yards as his side got back into things with both sides playing some good stuff at high intensity. This continued after the break on what was a slick surface with the region receiving many heavy downfalls in the days leading up to the match.

Indeed, the groundstaff deserved much credit for their endeavours, with it looking in excellent condition and maybe helping to level it out. Just one patch, like a single blokes’ bedsheets detracting from its appearance. It certainly encouraged plenty of challenges to go flying in. 

Referee Krisda Luangyos certainly had his hands full, dishing out seven yellow cards, as the hosts were being less than hospitable at times. The officials would then be involved heavily in two big moments. Chiangmai had a goal ruled out for offside. I was right in line with it and called it straight away.

The visiting coach was apoplectic racing down the touchline to offer feedback to the assistant with the flag. A few minutes later the hosts were denied, with that decision being clearly wrong when photographic evidence from the live feed was produced. No VAR in T2, at least until the midseason break so on we went. 

The Lamduan eventually drew level, and deservedly so on the balance of play, when exchanges of passes which I’m not entirely sure were intentional eventually found Danilo a yard or so out to score with fourteen minutes remaining. After that the away side blew a great chance to take all three points.

A strange day out. News that the dreaded words of the car needed attention was thankfully a cheap part, while a trip to the stadium to buy my ticket in advance to be sure I was under cover in case of rain proved fruitless as the office was closed despite the club advertising it would be open. 

Nice food and company in Hong Kong Garden my usual pre match haunt with a couple of beers to wash it down. My pal John unavailable and news that the place might shut too in the not too distant future sort of put a dampener of things, along with hearing a friend back home was unwell.

Again, I took my own supply of beer to the stadium to avoid the ghastly Chang, as I people watched and made conversation with the locals. 

Sisaket United 1 Kanchanaburi Power 1 (Saturday 28th September 2024) Thai League 2 (att: 2,424)

Fair play to both sides. A decent enough game to watch. Both teams hit the woodwork and had half chances to win it. Kanch, with some powerful exports to match their title went ahead on the hour, through a header from the big Brazilian defender Jeferson Sousa that went in off the underside of the bar.

Sisaket drew level 10 minutes from time. Abner came off the bench after being missing through injury and made an impact in general, with his low shot from the left hand side of the box having too much strength for keeper Chinnapong Raksri. Adisak, the goalie at the other end was erratic with his distribution and on crosses.

There was plenty of feistiness, especially in the closing stages and as good an atmosphere I’ve been in the stadium. The locals genuinely care. I also had a walk round the perimeter at the interval. The far side had an abundance of beer and food stalls. I managed to find a vendor selling alternatives to Chang behind the main stand. 

I’m glad the game was enjoyable as I had such a nice time having food, drink, and watching rugby league on TV from Australia in Hong Kong Garden in good company before the game that it was a wrench to leave. Back home with my reliable driver in time for the second half of an excellent Arsenal v Leicester City game.




No comments:

Post a Comment