Welcome to volume two of my blog paying homage to the football clubs I've visited all over the world and the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and looking after the stadiums, and in some cases basic grounds.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible. I was lucky that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately hightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a go today. They'll be pleased to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Young Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on youtube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click to see volume one of HAOTW.

Rob Bernard


September 2015

Monday, December 31, 2012


Arthurlie FC are a junior (non league) football club from the former industrial manufacturing town of Barrhead, which is located thirteen miles south east of Glasgow in Scotland. The club were formed in 1874, starting out life as a senior club, which enabled them to compete in the Scottish Cup from their Dovecothall base.

Arguebly the clubs greatest result came in the cup in 1897 as Celtic were defeated 4-2. 'The Lie' (as in Lee) were members of the Scottish League between 1901 and 1915. After World War One the club didn't immediately rejoin, but became founder members of the Third Division in 1923 two years after moving into Dunterlie Park. They won the title at the first attempt and then had a few decent seasons in Division Two, before financial troubles forced them to quit towards the end of the 1928-29 season.

The club was soon reformed with the same name and success soon followed as they defeated Kirkintilloch Rob Roy to lift the 1937 Junior Cup as well as winning the Central League decider against Shawfield. In September 1961 Neilston were hammered 10-1 in a league encounter and a decade later Arthurlie opened their social club. The West of Scotland Cup was also won that season.

Other cup triumphs followed before the team lost in the Junior Cup Final in 1981 to Pollok. A trio of Central League Premier Division titles arrived at Dunterlie in 1988, 1889 and 1994 before lifting the Junior Cup for a second time as Pollok were defeated 4-0 at Fir Park, Motherwell in the 1998 final. Goals from Mark McLaughlin, Johnny Millar, Steven Convery and Steven Nugent secured the trophy for Jim McQuade's side.

Frank Lynch took over the managership for the 2000-01 season, winning the league at his first attempt before junior league reconstruction took place, which saw Arthurlie placed in the West Super League First Division. In 2003 promotion was won courtesy of a league title, with a league cup also being added. However, Lynch's side were in big trouble in 2005 after midfielder Mark Ross was found guilty in a criminal court of assaulting the referee during the match with Auchinleck Talbot. The Scottish Junior FA punished the club for its lack of co-operation by fining it £3,000 and dishing out a hefty points deduction the following season. Lynch and his backroom team resigned.

Arthurlie just survived relegation the following campaign despite all the previous seasons players leaving manager Gary Faulds with a monumental job. Faulds and his assistant Stevie Moore departed in December 2007 after a poor run of results to be replaced by Mark Cameron who was initially assisted by Roland Fabiani and then former boss McQuade.

The management team departed during the 2010-11 season owing to personal reasons before new boss Sandy McLean led the team to a couple of cup triumphs. McLean left the following season with the team in dire relegation trouble, before the previous management team of Cameron, McQuade and Duncan returned to lead the team to safety.

Arthurlie will compete in the SJFA West Super League Premier Division in the 2013-14 season.

My visit

Thursday 28th January 2010

It was the third of three days watching football, visiting clubs and socialising in Glasgow and I wanted to complete my fine visit with seeing a few more stadiums.

The morning had taken me to St Mirren, Benburb and Rangers and I had returned to Glasgow Central with what I anticipated to be enough spare time to grab a snack and jump aboard the hourly train to Barrhead. I had not taken the size of the station into account and I found myself rushing to find one of the minor platforms. On overhearing chat between the guard and a passenger mentioning Greenock, my senses kicked in.

"Is this going to Barrhead" I asked? "No, you want the one in front" was the reply. Owing to the lack of platforms two trains went five minutes apart from the same line. Scottish pie and soup in hand I just made my train before the doors shut, before I relaxed for the half hour ride.

I arrived at my destination knowing I only had twenty minutes until it returned or I would be there for a further hour. This would not have been ideal as I was heading to a couple more grounds as well as Hampden Park for a tour that afternoon. I knew that Dunterlie Park was virtually next door to the station and I glimpsed it as we pulled in.

I was rapidly on my way down Carlibar Road, only to find a locked gate. I managed to see inside but I continued around as the walls weren't too high and a path allowed me to get some decent enough photos.

The only sizeable covered area was opposite over a central section of open terracing. At the top end there was a overhang from the snack bar before the natural slope with open terracing led down to the pitch. The changing rooms and clubrooms were down the open side in the corner. The rest of the ground was open standing.

I dashed back to the station with a few minutes to spare to catch a train to Pollokshaws West and then a walk to see the home of Pollok FC.

No comments:

Post a Comment