Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 13 May 2020

Puskás Ferenc Stadion (Budapest)

Puskás Ferenc Stadion was a multi purpose stadium in the Zugló district of the Hungarian capital of Budapest, which was the home of national football from its opening in 1953 until it was closed in 2016, prior to being demolished a year later.

The stadium was originally called the Népstadion, "People's Stadium", with construction starting in 1948. It took five years to complete, with the work being carried out by volunteers. One year later the great Hungarian national side of the day demolished England 7-1 in the stadium. 


Over the years it has been used for the Hungary national team, as well as hosting major European games for clubs without the adequate required facilities. It has also held numerous athletics meetings, as well as numerous concerts. 

The stadium doubled for Munich's famous Olympic Stadium in Steven Spielgerg's 2005 movie Munich. In 2001 the stadium was given its later title in honour of Ferenc Puskás, the greatest Hungarian football of all time.


After demolition in 2017 the site was cleared before the construction of Puskás Aréna which opened in 2019 with a capacity of 67,215.


My visit

Friday 19th October 2000


I was travelling around Europe by train for three weeks on an Inter rail ticket, taking in as many major cities and sightseeing as possible, which of course included visiting football clubs and stadiums. On Friday 19th October 2000, I arrived into Nyugati palyaudvar Railway Station in central Budapest on a train from Vienna. 

I dumped my bag into left luggage and I was soon on my way to have a look at the Nepstadion as it was called at the time. Unfortunately, although I didn’t have a lot of money but heaps of time, I couldn’t find out information on where the other clubs stadiums were in the city, so this solitary call would have to do. 


I took the metro to Stadion M station and then tried to work out access into the grounds as there were high iron railings all around the site, which also had indoor arenas and training facilities. It covered a lot of land. 

Eventually I found a gate with a sentry box. Fortunately, the guard was all smiles, and a few minutes later I was trackside in a very famous stadium. It was basically a bowl with one large single tier. Down one side was a grand entrance with VIP facilities above it as well the media facilities. 


On the far side there was an extra tier which went slightly round the corners. There was absolutely no covered accommodation for spectators. It was a true throwback to the previous communist type stadium I’d watched England play in on TV.

I spent the rest of the day between Pest which is where the stadium is located and Buda across the Danube doing sightseeing and spending the equivalent of £10 in Forint. 


To see Trevor Brooking score a great goal for England in the Nepstadion in a vital World Cup qualifier in 1981, click here









No comments:

Post a Comment