Saturday, 18 June 2011

UCD (Ireland)



University College Dublin AFC 
Ground: UCD Bowl
Capacity: 2,500
Club Founded: 1895
League: League of Ireland First Division - 2nd Tier (current level)

The students of the UCD football club continue to unearth players who take the side to the top reaches of the second tier and enjoy occasional spells in the Premier League of the League of Ireland.


UCD Early Years

UCD, as the club is more commonly known, was founded as the Catholic University Medical School Football Club. The team began by playing games against other universities before becoming a founder member of the Leinster Junior League in 1896. 

In 1908, the club became UCD when the new university annexed the medical school. In 1922, the club were invited to join the League of Ireland, but they had to decline as the academic term did not begin until October. From the 1930's, UCD competed in the FAI Cup.


League of Ireland, Cup Winners, and Everton

In the 1970's ', the students embarked on some landmark tours overseas before becoming members of the League of Ireland in 1979 to replace Cork Celtic, who were suffering financially. After an initial struggle, things changed in 1983 when the club became semi-professional, and players from outside the university were signed. 

UCD lifted the FAI Cup in 1983-84. Shamrock Rovers were beaten in a replay, with football in the European Cup Winners' Cup the reward. The draw created a dream match-up against Everton. Over 9,000 fans packed into Tolka Park to see a superb performance in a scoreless draw. 

In the second leg at Goodison Park, a solitary Graham Sharp goal sent the Merseysiders through in a competition they went on to win. Late in the game, UCD's Joe Hanrahan skimmed the crossbar. If the effort had gone in, the Students would have gone through on away goals.


More European Football

'College' finished fourth in the league but had to release several players owing to financial difficulties. The team were relegated in 1986 and didn't return to the Premier Division until 1995. In 2000, a late league run saw UCD qualify for the Intertoto Cup. 

They were pitched against the Bulgarian side PFC Velbazhd Kyustendil and drew the first leg 3-3 at Belfield Park before bowing out on away goals after drawing 0-0 in the away leg. In 2003, another relegation was suffered, but the side was promoted at the first time of asking. They lasted four years in the Premier League. 


Martin Russell

By the time UCD returned, they had moved to the UCD Bowl under the management of former Manchester United, Leicester City, Scarborough, Middlesbrough and Portadown star Martin Russell. The club also introduced a highly praised scholarship scheme, allowing students to combine football with the opportunity to earn a university degree.  

The 2014 season ended in defeat in the relegation play-off to Galway. 
Collie O'Neill was brought in as the new manager as UCD lost in the First Division promotion play-offs to Finn Harps the following year. Georgie Kelly top scored as UCD won the First Division title in 2018. 


However, the return ended in relegation after just a season, with Maciej Tarnogrodzki appointed as the new manager in August 2019. Andy Myler replaced the Pole for the new season. UCD were defeated by Longford Town in the playoffs. Bray Wanderers were beaten in the 2021 final to seal promotion as Colm Whelan top-scored throughout the season.

The team retained their Premier Division status the following year after defeating Waterford in the playoffs. UCD went back down to the First Division, with William O’Connor appointed as manager. Bray Wanderers ended any hopes of promotion in the 2024 playoffs, which was repeated a year later.

My visit

Thursday 14th October 2010


I was in Dublin to watch some football and visit stadiums while enjoying the exceptional hospitality. A few weeks earlier, I managed to find the email address of the UCD manager, Martin Russell. He was a hero of mine from his days at Scarborough FC, with his greatest moment probably coming when his winning penalty knocked Chelsea out of the League Cup. 

I got in touch and asked if it would be possible for me to have a look inside the UCD Bowl and catch up, so I could do an interview for the Scarborough Athletic fanzine, Abandon Chip.
Martin was kind enough to send me his mobile number and told me to give him a shout on arrival on Wednesday night. He told me to pop along to the Belfield Campus at lunchtime the following day.

I went on a tour of the newly completed Aviva Stadium and then decided to have a walk down to the university. I passed the RDS Showground, which had been a temporary home for Shamrock Rovers, as well as Donnybrook rugby stadium, before trekking down Stillorgan Road. It was much further than I thought, but I arrived just about on time.

The legend, Martin Russell, becomes a joint owner
of Scarborough Athletic FC.


Martin gave me directions to the canteen in the University Sports Centre. I walked through the vast campus and eventually found my way to my destination. The facilities for everything were really outstanding.

I sat in the canteen, and before long Martin joined me for a lovely chat over a cuppa. It was so nice that a hero turned out to be an absolute gent as well. I had let Martin know about the death of his old club and the birth and development of Scarborough Athletic. 

He joined up as a new member, which was greatly appreciated. He gave up his time to patiently answer questions for an interview and then gave me the lowdown on his role and the club. He was proud when I mentioned that I had read that his son had made his UCD debut.


He then took me past the huge training fields, round to The Bowl. It was a fine venue with grass banking providing wind protection. It also had a cantilever stand on one side. It was shared for matches with the University Rugby Club. It was as well Martin met me as the ground was locked and I doubt if I would have been able to find it anyway!


I thanked my hero for his time and tour, apologising that I wouldn't be attending his team's match against Dundalk, as I wanted to go to the Bohemian versus Sligo Rovers FAI Cup semi-final, figuring that Dalymount Park's days may be numbered.

I went back out onto the main road and took a bus back into the city before heading off to discover a couple more venues so that I could build up a thirst for that evening's festivities. Any old excuse!



No comments:

Post a Comment