Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 19 May 2020

FC Petržalka (Slovakia)



FC Petržalka is a football club from the Slovak capital of Bratislava that was formed on June 7th 1898 as Pozsonyi Torna Egyesület out of the sports club of that name who had started out life in 1890, with the team initially playing in the regional Hungarian football system.

Štadión za Starým Mostom close to the south bank of the Danube was officially opened in 1900 with Slovan Bratislava sharing the venue. In 1913 the club became the champions of Upper Hungary.


Slovak teams joined the Czechoslovak football system from 1935-36, with Pozsonyi playing in the lower grades as they changed their title to Engerau Pressburg at the outbreak of World War Two in 1939.

The club became known as ŠK Petržalka in 1945 before Kovosmalt Petržalka from 1949 and then Spartak Kovosmalt Bratislava from 1953. Yet another change of title followed in 1963, with TJ Považské Strojárne Bratislava becoming the new name.

Two years later the simplified SKS Petržalka was adopted. The name changes continued as the team continued along in the lower reaches of the Slovak leagues as the club became TJ ZŤS Petržalka in 1976.


In 1986 the club merged with TJ Internacionál Slovnaft Bratislava to form TJ Internacionál Slovnaft ZŤS Bratislava to take the position of Inter Bratislava who had been relegated from the top level 1. Československá Fotbalová Liga.

The team edged out city rivals Slovan to win the 1. Slovenská Národná Futbalová Liga title at the first attempt before consolidating back in the top tier but lifting the Slovenský Pohár, Slovak Cup in 1987-88 before finishing in third place in 1989-90. After a further season the arrangement split.

Petržalka went their own way as 1. FC Hydronika Petržalka before becoming 1. FC Petržalka a year later. Slovak independence would be the turning point for the club with opportunities for honours becoming far greater.


The club title was changed to FK Artmedia Petržalka in a sponsorship deal with an advertising agency as the team ended the 1993-94 season in fourth place in 2. Liga before climbing to third the season afterwards.

The team raced to the 2. Liga title in 1995-96 before consolidating in the Super Liga for a couple of seasons at the redeveloped Štadión Petržalka as Štadión za Starým Mostom was more commonly known.

Tomáš Medveď top scored in another mid table finish in 1999-00 under coach Vladimír Weiss before fourth place in a ten team top flight was attained the following campaign prior to Henrich Benčík topping the scoring charts in 2001-02.


Artmedia finished as Super Liga runners-up in 2002-03 to receive a taste of UEFA Cup football the following season which was ended by Bordeaux in the first round. The team captained by Štefan Maixner went on to lift the Slovak Cup as goals from Marek Krejčí and Martin Mikulič helped see off Steel Trans Ličartovce 2-0.

The 2004-05 campaign saw the team crowned as Slovak champions as Filip Šebo and Branislav Fodrek banged in the goals. The double was nearly completed but for a 2-1 Cup final defeat to Dukla Banská Bystrica.

          .
The 2005-06 UEFA Champions League campaign saw Artmedia play their home games at Slovan’s Tehelné pole in which they defeated Kairat Almaty and Celtic including a 5-0 home win which can be seen here before FK Partizan were disposed of for the team to reach the group stages.

A third place in Group G alongside Internazionale, Rangers and FC Porto led to a place in the UEFA Cup where they went out to Levski Sofia. Domestically the goals of Juraj Halenár and Lukáš Hartig helped the side make the runners-up spot.

Tomáš Oravec ended as league top scorer as Artmedia finished as Super Liga runners-up in 2006-07. Victories over WIT Georgia and Dinamo Minsk set up a UEFA Cup tie with RCD Espanyol which saw the Slovaks go out on aggregate.


Further UEFA Cup wins were achieved by the club now known as FC Artmedia Petržalka in 2007-08 before Panathinaikos ended the run. However, it was a golden domestic campaign under Weiss on his return after a year away as the Super Liga title was won with Ján Kozák and Halenár both scoring regularly.

A last minute Zbyněk Pospěch goal was enough for Artmedia captained by Kornel Saláta to defeat Spartak Trnava in the Cup final. Following the triumphant season club owner Ivan Kmotrík, Weiss and main sponsor left the club.

A couple of Champions League wins against Valletta FC and Tampere United led to defeat against Juventus in 2008-09 before the team finished midway in the Super Liga and reached the Slovenský Pohár where they lost 3-1 to MFK Košice under coach Michal Hipp with Vojtech Horváth bagging the consolation goal.


At the end of the season most of the players departed as the club name was changed to MFK Petržalka. Players were signed from Inter Bratislava whose license had been sold to FK Senica. Former Artmedia youngsters made up the rest of the side as they were relegated before Štadión Petržalka was closed.

Rechristened as FC Petržalka 1898, the side finished third in 1. Liga in the 2010-11 season in which Radoslav Augustín top scored while the club played at Štadión FK Rapid Ružinov across the other side of Bratislava.

In 2011-12 the team finished rock bottom and were relegated to 3. Liga where they finished eleventh in 2012-13 in their new Štadión FC Petržalka1898. A fourteenth place in 2013-14 was the least of the clubs worries.


It heralded the end of the original club through bankruptcy despite the efforts of several owners after the departure of Kmotrík. The club was quickly reformed as FC Petržalka Akadémia.

Petržalka were placed in 5. Liga, which was won at the first attempt, but the club was denied promotion owing to a reorganisation of the Slovak football system. The team regrouped and won the title again in 2015-16.

The 4. Liga championship was won in 2016-17 after the team put a run of twenty five unbeaten matches together before the club was retitled as FC Petržalka. In 2017-18 ‘Engerau’ saw off the challenge of FC Rohožník to lift the 3. Liga title to return the status where the old club ended life.


Miroslav Mentel coached the side captained by Juraj Piroska to an eighth place finish in 2018-19 before Vladimír Koník stepped in to coach the team to eleventh place when the COVID-19 pandemic ended the 2019-20 campaign early.

FC Petržalka will play in 2. Liga in the 2020-21 season.


My visit

Monday 9th March 2020

I found myself on a half day visit to Bratislava at the back end of my long weekend to Vienna. The Slovak capital had grown on me after a slow start as I reflected on a fine day out over some excellent cheap local beer in The Dubliner Irish Pub on Sedlárska.

A friend back home, Richard Oldale, had been most helpful with advice and he’d mentioned the home of Petržalka across the river. I must confess to not knowing their full history. Perhaps their old title of Artmedia would have rung a bell?


It was a lovely late afternoon and I reckoned I could be there and back within forty minutes to still allow more drinking time before my train back to Vienna in time to tick off another new ground in the Diocese Football League.

Off I set in search of Zochova bus stop and the number 84 heading to Ovsište. I was astonished at just how many buses came and went. Eventually my service showed up as we headed past the castle and over the Danube.


We passed near to where the now long gone Štadión Petržalka once stood through new build housing not dissimilar to many suburban city estates before I jumped out at the Ovsištské nám stop by a parade of shops either side of Mamateyova.

It was just a couple of minutes to the Štadión FC Petržalka1898 where some youngsters were having a game in the goalmouth on the artificial pitch. It was a neat and tidy if small venue with no spectator accommodation behind the goals.

One side of the pitch had a few rows of open seating with a modern covered seated stand opposite on the same side as club rooms and facilities backing onto the École Française Internationale de Bratislava French school.


While happy that I’d made the effort, the earlier beer had left me needing a loo. I saw what looked like some bars on the parade. I had struck lucky. The end premises had a sign outside saying FC Petržalka Pub!

I got a few looks from locals when I went in, obviously wondering what a tourist was doing down there. The barman was sound and advised that I went for the Czech Svijanský Máz. It was €1.30 a pint so who was I to argue!

The first one didn’t take much drinking as I’d done plenty of walking and needed to refuel. I soon abandoned the idea of heading back to the old town. What was the point? Instead I gave the football club my trade for another hour.



Even better was that I could catch the 99 bus where I’d previously alighted to Petržalka station where I needed to catch the train back to Vienna. It was a bit of a tight call as well inevitably got delayed by the lights, but I made it with a couple of minutes to spare.

I’d had a fantastic day out but was now ready to nod most of the way back to regather some energy to head off for a bit of live football action at WAF Vorwärts Brigittenau which can be viewed here.






No comments:

Post a Comment