Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Tuesday 19 May 2020

ŠK Slovan Bratislava B (Slovakia)



ŠK Slovan Bratislava B is the reserve and junior side of the most famous club in Slovakia who play at Štadión Pasienky. Slovan’s history and description of the new Tehelné pole stadium can be read about here.

The team competed in the 2. Liga in 1994-95 a year after the country became independent. Slovan B went down in fifteenth place to 3. Liga, despite reaching the last eight of the Slovenský Pohár, Slovak Cup before going out to Tatran Prešov.


The team remained in the third tier before winning promotion in 1997-98 going on to finish fifth in the 2. Liga season of 1998-99. A tenth spot the following season meant demotion to 3. Liga. Promotion was won at the first attempt prior to Slovan B finishing ninth in 2. Liga in 2001-02.

2002-03 saw the side relegated once again followed the relegation of the first team to 2. Liga in 2003-04. A change of league titles in the summer of 2006 led to the top flight being renamed Super Liga, which meant that Slovan B were in the third tier 2. Liga.

In the 2006-07 Slovak Cup, Slovan B defeated their first string 2-0 before going out in the third round to FC Vion Zlaté Moravce.


‘Belasí’ B ended the 2010-11 campaign in sixth place which was matched twelve months later before ending as runners-up in 2012-13. Fourth place in 2013-14 was enough to win promotion to the once again renamed second tier 2. Liga.

The league was split into two geographical sections with Slovan B placed in the Western Group. The team avoided relegation under coach Jozef Majoroš while playing home games at Štadión FK Rapid Ružinov while Slovan’s first team were in residence of Štadión Pasienky.


The team coached by Ján Kozák and skippered by Marcel Oravec finished fourth in the Western Group in 2015-16, going on to eleventh in the Championship Round. With Adam Laczkó as captain in 2016-17 the side ended in the Relegation Round from Group West before eventually going down.

In the regional 3. Liga Bratislava, the goals of Dávid Hrnčár and Illia Tereshchenko fired Slovan B to fourth place before the title was secured in 2018-19 prior to the team moving into Štadión Pasienky.

Goals from skipper Martin Hubert’s couldn’t prevent the side coached by Szilárd Németh from ending in the relegation spots in 2019-20.


ŠK Slovan Bratislava B will play in Group West of 3. Liga in the 2020-21 season.

As well as staging matches for ŠK Slovan Bratislava between 2009 and 2019, and the B side matches, Štadión Pasienky also hosted much more football, athletics and concerts since FK Inter Bratislava moved in upon its opening in 1962.

Inter remained there until 2009 when owner Ľubomír Chrenko to sell Inter's licence to FK Senica. While residents at the stadium, the club were crowned twice as Slovak champions as well as ending second in the Czechoslovak First League on a couple of occasions.


FC Petržalka were residents for a year when their Štadión za Starým Mostom was demolished in 2009 as the club went into financial freefall before folding prior to being resurrected in 2014.

Štadión Pasienky was home to the Slovak national team when they played eight internationals in the arena between 2010 and 2012 including Euro and World Cup qualifiers as well as four matches in the UEFA U-21 Championship of 2000.


The stadium has also echoed to the sounds of Depeche Mode, KISS, Metallica and Carlos Santana from 1993 to 2017.


My visit

Monday 9th March 2020

I’d crossed the border from Vienna on the last day of a fantastic long weekend and had been kindly allowed inside the new Tehelné pole stadium of Slovan. It added to a brilliant day in which I’d also unexpectedly got to see the inner of Rapid Wien’s Allianz-Stadion.


Hans, my Viennese font of knowledge had suggested that I’d have a good chance of seeing inside Štadión Pasienky. I crossed Bajkalská and walked down Junácka, noting the tempting Šport Pub U Belasých before the majestic stadium floodlights came into view.

My discipline kicked in as I continued round to the open gates to the complex where two old boys were sat. I expected to be challenged in some way but it seemed they were keeping an eye on the car park that ran right around the outside of the arena.


Intermittent steps led up the bank to the top of the seating tier. The entrance at the top was fenced off but I still got a great view of the single bowl with cover over the east section and fantastic old communist style scoreboard at the near end.

I’d been mistaken in thinking that the stadium had staged what seemed like a catastrophic England defeat at the time to Czechoslovakia in 1976 only to realise after research that the game was held at the old Tehelné pole over the road.


The game was a reflection on how the English media have probably overreacted for many years. The magnificent Czech side went on to win the European Championships with a team including Slovan and Inter players.

My intention was to head into the old town for a relaxing few hours tasting local beers and sightseeing. I thought it a good idea to walk around the perimeter car park and leave at the other end to catch a bus where I’d earlier alighted.

I felt a bit of an idiot when all the gates were locked down the far side meaning I did a full lap, going past Slovan’s training ground while sporadically gawping at the floodlights. I did get a closer view of the pitch as the entrance used by the club at ground level was open.


My Google Map App came to the rescue as I found a better route into town. The MiÚ Nové Mesto tram stop on Vajnorská near a modern shopping precinct would do the job with the number 4 service taking me to the SND stop.

Bratislava was a real mixture on my evidence up to then. Some stuck in the communist age while newer buildings and complexes were springing up. However, I was to be blown away by the stunning architecture in the old town.


I found it not dissimilar to Prague, albeit it quieter and smaller. Most impressed it was beer time. Beers in Lochness Scottish Pub and then The Dubliner Irish Pub which both served excellent local stuff sandwiched another bit of sightseeing and photography.

The music was good, so was the extremely cheap beer. It would have been easy to sit and become very merry. That would have been too easy. Instead I headed to see the venue of FC Petržalka which can be read about here.

Click here to read all about ŠK Slovan Bratislava.






No comments:

Post a Comment