Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Friday 27 November 2020

SC Schwarz-Weiß 06 (Germany)

SC Schwarz-Weiß 06 is an amateur football club located in the western German city of Düsseldorf who were formed in 1906 as Sport Club Preussen in the Oberbilk district of the city.

Oberbilk was a cosmopolitan area of the growing city, with many residents from France, Belgium, Silesia, and East Prussia settling in the area alongside native Germans. A meeting called by three pioneers on Sonnenstraße to form a new club.

Training was organised at Preussenwiese on Kruppstraße, the site of today's Audi Niederrhein as sponsors assisted with equipment. A tour to Venlo was organised in 1908 as the club grew prior to being accepted into the Westdeutschen Fußball Verband, West German FA.

The team competed in C – Klasse regional football, winning the group championship in 1913-14 to play Benrath 06 for the title. The match was lost after the first game was stopped in fading light with Preussen leading.


Following World War One the club was placed in A – Klasse, despite losing several members in the conflict. In 1920 the club merged with Oberbilker Turnerschaft to form Oberbilker Turn und Sportgemeinde, a multi sports club.

Land was made available to make a home ground before the gymnastics and sports associations went their own way in 1923. The football club renamed themselves as SC Schwarz – Weiß 06 e.V., SC Black and White 06.

The team played in Bezirksliga football before progressing to Sonderklasse as the club was relocated to an enlarged facility by the Düssel, a small lake inside a large open space that today forms part of Volksgarten.

In 1942 the club won the Stadtmeisterschaft, a city championship with limited entrants and players owing to the war, before football halted altogether. The conflict was particularly harsh on Düsseldorf, meaning it took some time for Schwarz-Weiß to gather themselves.

Paul Baumer took on the responsibility along with future chairman Heinrich Ellering. They assembled a side that won promotion to the Bezirksklasse in 1947-48. However, their spell at the level lasted just one season.

The club were forced to vacate their ground in Volksgarten as the city authorities didn’t see football fitting into the concept of the park. A new facility was in the process of being built next door to the actual park at Stoffeler Kapellenweg 72.

The team were relegated to 1. Kreisklasse in 1954-55 after a play-off replay against BV10 Remscheid, after the new ground was opened the previous October and named Paul Baumer Kampfbahn in tribute to their devotee.

In August 1955 the club was granted permission to build a clubhouse and changing rooms after prolonged negotiations. The striking new structure was opened in May 1956. The club continued to build gradually and enhance their facilities.

The team continued to play around the same level of competition for several decades, with the club often fielding three sides. In 1987 Schwarz-Weiß once again had to fight to keep hold of their ground.

The Federal Horticultural Show was being staged in Düsseldorf in 1987. There were plans which suggested that Schwarz-Weiß may have had to relocate to Wersten, a couple of miles south.

The club moved out for a year and had to play games at neighbouring sides, while their clubhouse was demolished before a less aesthetic building went up in its place upon their return in 1988.

Hans Geldmacher took over as chairman with big plans to take Schwarz-Weiß into the Landesliga which didn’t materialise. It put the club in financial difficulties, which were gradually corrected under a new board.

In 2007 a new artificial pitch was opened which allowed the club much more scope for progression and increasing membership as the first team competed in Kreisliga A, Gruppe 2, the eighth tier of German football.

Runners-up places in 2010-11 and 2011-12 were backed up in 2012-13 with the league title for the side coached by Guido Monaco. This was backed up with a fourth position in a debut Bezirksliga, Gruppe 1 campaign.

This finish was backed up in 2017-18 after three of mid table berths as Harald Becker took charge of the team as Taoufik Baouch and Marco Lüttgen provided the goals. The pairing of David Breitmar and Dennis Wienhusen were at the helm the following season as Schwarz-Weiß were crowned as champions.

Lüttgen again put away the chances as the team moved up to the sixth tier Landesliga, Gruppe 1, where they ended in eighth place before the 2019-20 season ended early owing to the COVID-19 pandemic. Breitmar took sole charge of the side from the summer of 2020.

SC Schwarz-Weiß 06 will play in Landesliga, Gruppe 1 in the 2020-21 season.


My visit

Wednesday 26th August 2020

I had returned to North Rhine-Westphalia to complete my two weeks annual leave from work, as friendly matches were aplenty in the area at a time when the ban on fans back home in the pandemic had just been lifted.

I’d arrived in early afternoon at Cologne Bonn Airport before heading up to Düsseldorf for an overnight stay. My room at Hotel Mondial was nothing to write home about but did the job. It looked like I was the only resident.

After a brief rest I decided to fill in my time usefully. I was meeting my pal Marius Eve who had been of massive help a couple of weeks earlier. I also contacted Sebastian and Markus who had been good company on an epic Saturday of football and beer.

Marius was meeting me later at Leverkusen to go to a local game and show me some hidden gems of the town. Markus was overseas groundhopping, but Sebastian arranged to meet me on the train south a little later.

I decided upon a bit of football ground gazing during a lovely walk through Düsseldorf’s Volksgarten to take in the basic neat home of SC Schwarz-Weiß 06 who I had seen in their away friendly at TuRu a few weeks earlier.


After taking the UBahn to Oberbilk I got slightly lost on Siegburger Straße, nearly going into the park on the wrong side of the road. I eventually corrected myself and gradually found my way through the pretty Volksgarten to the ground entrance.

Paul Baumer Kampfbahn didn’t have too much room for expansion but was probably fine for a club of Schwarz-Weiß’s ambitions. The near side had a couple of steps of terrace with a couple of small covers at the rear. The rest of the ground was surrounded by flat open hard standing.

As with many clubs, the vital necessity of a barbeque area was in situ. Outside the clubhouse wasn’t in such pristine condition in need of repairs. I was later told by my friends that it had been victim of an arson attack.

Once I’d taken my photos, I headed on my way without success to try and reach the home of SV Oberbilk 09 e.V., but I’ll know for next time I have a spare hour to kill in the city. Instead I returned to Oberbilk station to wait for the train to connect up with Sebastian for more interesting and educational fun stuff.




No comments:

Post a Comment