Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 13 May 2020

Bellshill Athletic (Scotland)

Bellshill Athletic FC is a football club who compete in the West Region of Scottish Junior (non-league) football. Bellshill is an old mining town in Lanarkshire, a few miles south east of Glasgow. The club were formed in 1897 and over the years have played on a few different home grounds: Orbiston Park, Douglas Park, Brigade Park and Brandon Park which was opened in 1903.











The club played in several junior leagues over the years. It is thought that Bellshill became the first club in the UK to have shirt sponsorship, with The Derby Hotel emblazened across the players chests in the 1973-74 season. 

Just before the club celebrated their centenary they moved to a new ground in the Hattonrigg area of the town. Unfortunately a dispute broke out with the ground's owner so they were enforced to depart after a few years. Athletic shared grounds with Blantyre Victoria before they sought permission to use the Sir Matt Busby Sports Complex in their home town.

Athletic have competed in many different divisions in the West Region, but have never lifted the Junior Cup as yet. The club as of 2009-10 are playing in the Premier Division until suffering relegation at the end of that season.

Robert Downs took over as team manager in December 2012 as the club moved home grounds to share Fullarton Park with Vale of Clyde in the east end of Glasgow.

Bellshill Athletic FC will play in the SJFA Central District First Division in the 2014-15 season.
















My visit

Tuesday 26 January 2010

I called into Bellshill after my visiting Motherwell on a visit up to the Glasgow area. I had my map at the ready to find the Sir Matt Busby Sports Centre as I only had thirty minutes before the next train would forward me to Cambuslang.













I was a little behind schedule as I failed to see the exit at the more convenient side of the station. However I was soon on track and going along Main Street. I could see the centre in front of me. I walked up the side and soon came across West End Park. It was extremely basic in facilities. The pitch consisted of an up to date artificial surface and was surrounded by a railing and hard standing. The grounds perimeter fencing was high green netted wire fencing.









No comments:

Post a Comment