Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 25 November 2020

DSV 04 (Germany)


Düsseldorfer Sportverein Lierenfeld 04, or DSV 04 as they are more commonly known, is a sports club from the Lierenfeld district of the German city of Düsseldorf that was formed on December 14th 1904 at a meeting at the Zweibrücker Hof pub.

The formation of the club was a spin off from former set up FC Britannia 02 Düsseldorf. Tennis, athletics and fitness are offered to members as well as the football section, who entered the Zehnerliga West in 1909-10, finishing bottom and being relegated.

A runners-up spot in Rheinischer Nordkreis in 1913-14 saw the team progress to the final group of the Westdeutsche Meisterschaft, West German championship. Willy Baumgärtner was the star player of the day, winning four caps for the German national side.

A merger with took place with TV 1847 Düsseldorf to form TSV 1847 Düsseldorf in 1919 in a relationship that lasted six years before reverting to their original clubs prior to the addition to a handball section at the club.

A further merger was formed with BSG Stahlunion Düsseldorf to form BSG Stahlunion-DSV 04 Düsseldorf in 1936 before it was dissolved in 1941. Ernst-Poensgen-Kampfbahn on Wilhelm-Heinrich-Weg had been inaugurated in 1937.

Former player Kurt Borkenhagen was selected to play for Germany against France in 1952. The football club continued to play in the shadow of the women’s handball team for many years, with a change of title to DSV 04 Lierenfeld being adopted in 1979 with the club having around 1,200 members at the time.


Promotion was won to Oberliga Niederrhein in 1986-87, before dropping back down through the leagues. A further promotion was won in 1992-93 from Landesliga, Gruppe 1 to Verbandsliga Niederrhein, where a creditable eighth place was achieved in their first season.

The team continued to progress, finishing third in 1996-97 and then having a mid-table finish before being relegated in 1998-99 down to Landesliga, Gruppe 2 as Aribert Köppen looked after team affairs.

A further demotion came in 2002-03 as DSV dropped down to Bezirksliga, Gruppe 1, where the ship was steadied with the side finishing as runners-up in 2004-05 and 2005-06 as facilities at the club were improved further with the installation of an artificial pitch outside the main arena.

Former DSV youth player Adil Chihi made his full debut for Morocco in 2008 before Oliver Röder arrived as coach in 2010-11 after several finishes around the middle of the table. Another former DSV youth player, Mohamed Amsif played his first game for Morocco in 2011.

With no signs of improvement Michael Groß was appointed for the 2012-13 campaign. At the end of his second season in command things got worse as DSV were relegated to Kreisliga A Gruppe 2 before Javier Lopez Estevez took over the reins.

His tenure saw a third and then fifth finish prior to the arrival of new team boss Nermin Ramic. The goals of Andreas Sabelfeld in 2016-17 helped DSV to runners-up place and promotion to the seventh tier Bezirksliga, Gruppe 1.

However, it proved a step too far in standard as DSV returned to Kreisliga A twelve months later. After a fifth place in 2018-19 Nedzad Baltic arrived as new head coach. The team were in eighth place when the 2019-20 season ended early owing to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Düsseldorfer Sportverein Lierenfeld 04 will play in Niederrhein Kreisliga A in the 2020-21 season.


My visit

DSV 04 1 KSC Tesla 07 0 (Sunday 9th August 2020) Friendly (att: 37)

I awoke after a good night sleep in my Belle Etage hotel room in Düsseldorf in far better condition than I’d envisaged after a proper day out at the football with plentiful beers the previous day.

Marius, Markus and Sebi had provided top class company. Fortunately, rather than carrying on I had enjoyed a hearty meal and an early night. I was now feeling the benefit as I considered which football would be on my list for the day.

Ramscheid was near the top of my list, but they didn’t kick off until 2pm and I wanted something to do before that. Another look at the Fussball.de App on my phone confirmed that I could return to Duisburger FV where I’d previously pooped in for photos as well as seeing a local game before it.

I’d reasoned for the quantity over quality argument. There was nothing really to lose. I headed to the Haupbanhof where I stocked up on provisions and bought a coffee before heading downstairs to take the U75 train to Schlesische Straße.

Face coverings were in evidence almost 100% everywhere I had travelled. The authorities handed out hefty fines to anyone failing to comply. A woman who I suspected was suffering with some mental illness was ranting to nobody in particular, without wearing a mask.

Other fellow travellers looked on with a mixture of anger and pity. It is always an awkward situation and I wasn’t too upset when my stop arrived. Full of energy I initially set off in the wrong direction before the Map App on my IPhone put me right.

I was soon walking along Posener Straße and then Wilhelm-Heinrich-Weg where I came across the rear of the stand but could see no gate open. I followed a fella upstairs which led though the clubhouse and out onto the veranda.

My details were added to the sheet for track and trace purposes before I headed down the steps at the front which led out to a neat arena with the pitch surrounded by a running track. There was a section of terracing in front of the clubhouse and changing rooms.

A grass bank surrounded the rest of the arena. The adjacent artificial surface proclaimed that it was the home of PSG’s German Academy as well as their own admin block. I had a wander around before kick-off and saw a training session in full swing.

The hosts took on the visitors from a couple of miles away who had recently been promoted from the ninth tier Kreisliga B. A few spectators took advantage of the open balcony, enjoying snacks and drinks while serenaded by soft rock hits of the 80's on the radio.

It wasn’t a bad game. Fortunately, it wasn’t as warm conditions as the stifling heat of the previous afternoon. Somehow DSV managed to miss a penalty and hit the woodwork four times.

 

The only goal came on fifty-eight minutes when skipper Pascal Santo set up a chance for Fantamadi Conde. By which point I’d joined the patrons upstairs for a spell to enjoy a coke and then a coffee from the friendly staff.

I really enjoyed the performance of the veteran referee. A real character who looked like he’d enjoyed a few nights downtown with wursts and beer. He wasn’t slow to offer feedback to the players and handed out five yellow cards throughout the encounter.

At full time I headed back to the main station to grab some food before jumping aboard one of the fine new regional express trains up to Duisburg in time for the friendly between Duisburger FV 08 and Alemannia Essen.




No comments:

Post a Comment