Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 13 May 2020

Johnstone Burgh (Scotland)



Johnstone Burgh FC are a Scottish Junior or ‘non league’ football club based in the community of Johnstone, which lies twelve miles west of Glasgow in the county of Renfrewshire. The football club were formed in 1956 as the conurbation grew to replace the long lost former Scottish League club of Johnstone FC after an article in the Johnstone & Linwood Gazette newspaper to see the reaction of locals to the idea.

Since their formation ‘Burgh’ have played at Keanie Park, named after James Y Keanie, the builder who donated the land. The club soon progressed and lifted the coveted Scottish Junior Cup in 1963-64 after a replay with Cambuslang Rangers.



The feat was repeated in 1967-68 again after a replay, this time against Glenrothes. Both wins came under the management of Jimmy Blackburn. Three Central League championships and a couple of West of Scotland Cups were added during this halcyon period for Burgh.

After a quiet period in the clubs history they returned to the Junior Cup Final of 2000. Burgh eventually lost 4-3 on penalties to Whitburn after the game had finished 2-2 after extra time. The 2001-02 season saw Johnstone crowned as Central League Premier Division winners as well as lifting the Evening Times Cup.











Burgh suffered relegation but won the Central League Division Two in 2009-10. Around this plans were announced to relocate the club to the more central Thomas Shanks Memorial Park owing to poor drainage at Keanie Park. Another promotion came in 2012-13 as Burgh finished in third place in the Central District Second Division.

Johnstone Burgh FC will play in the SJFA Central District First Division in the 2013-14 season.


My visit

Monday 30th September 2013





















I was in Glasgow for a couple of days exploring the city and surrounding areas along with many of the Junior football clubs on offer. As expected I had not been disappointed with the traditional venues that I had come across. My next train ride had been from Dalry to Johnstone.

As I departed the station I climbed uphill, with the directions on my IPhone working a treat. I was quite surprised to climb the Auchenlodment Road in search of the ground. However, I was bang on target and I soon arrived outside Keanie Park, where a gentleman had come out of what looked like the back of a stand and was inspecting the overgrowth over the perimeter wall.











I went across and asked if it was possible to have a look inside the ground? What followed is exactly why I love grass roots football. Rocky took me inside what turned out to be the clubs headquarters and gave me a full guided tour. I believe that he was in fact John Rock, the club chairman. He explained that the old building had been destroyed in the sixties and the current structure had been purchased from Maryhill Barracks and then gradually divided into the several rooms it had on my visit.

I was taken into the changing rooms, directors room, a storage area where a magnificent large photo of the victorious day at Hampden in 1964 adorned the walls. Rocky told me that there was over 50,000 at the game. After a full tour my new friend opened the door that led out onto the playing area.











Keanie Park was like many Junior venues. There was a large covered standing area on the far side and a smaller one in front of the large building along with the dug outs. The rest of the ground consisted of large areas of shallow grass banking. I was told that over 15,000 had once attended in the sixties for a clash against near neighbours Greenock Morton.

We went back inside with Rocky concluding a wonderful few minutes by kindly digging out a few old match programmes. It was so nice to see a man so proud in his club and equally delighted that a genuine fan had been bothered to call in. At first he had wondered if I’d been before? He explained that a fellow ‘hopper’ had gained access over a far wall and then written to apologise. Rocky was delighted that they had made the effort and was happy to help anyone.














I walked back down to the station to take a train back to Glasgow Central with a huge smile with my faith in human nature greatly enhanced.

This page is dedicated to John Rock.





No comments:

Post a Comment