Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 13 May 2020

St Roch's (Scotland)


St Roch's is a Scottish junior non-league football club from Glasgow who were formed in 1920 and playing at Provanhill Park as the club home ground was originally called.


‘The Candy Rock’ gave sixteen year old Jimmy McGrory his first taste of adult football. St Roch’s reached the final of the Scottish Junior Cup in 1921-22 where they defeated Kilwinning Rangers, with McGrory scoring one of the goals.


At the end of the season McGrory was signed by Celtic where he would go on to become a legend and set the British goalscoring record as he netted 550 times for Celtic, Clydebank and Scotland before becoming manager at Celtic Park.


St Roch’s went on to become Glasgow League champions in 1924-25 and 1925-26 before lifting the Central League title in 1943-44. Five triumphs in the Glasgow Cup would follow over the years but it was a long wait until further league honours.


St Roch’s became champions of the Central League C Division in 1971-72 and winning promotion to Division B, which they won at the first attempt in 1972-73. After a shake up of the junior game the Candy Rock won the Central Division One in 1983-84.


The team were relegated a few years later, before recovering to win the Central Division Two in 1994-94. Once again the club would drop down a level before ending as runners-up of the West of Scotland Central League Second Division in 2006-07.


St Roch’s finished in the relegation places of the Central District First Division in 2012-13 before the club changed name of Provanhill Park to James McGrory Park in honour of their greatest ever player.


The change of name somehow inspired the struggling side who turned in a third place finish in the 2014-15 Central District Second Division campaign to win promotion under manager Andy Cameron.

St Roch’s FC will play in the SJFA West of Scotland Central District First Division in the 2017-18 season.


My visit

Wednesday 2nd January 2017


The weather in Glasgow was not really befitting an August summer’s afternoon on my arrival. I was in town for some Junior’s action between Cambuslang Rangers and Vale of Clyde that evening, but there was time to kill first.


Eventually I found the correct stop for the number 19 bus on West George Street and explain to the driver where I wanted to get off. The route travelled in a north east direction, past the cathedral and necropolis and then along the residential Royston Road.


Alighting at the Broomfield Road stop right outside James McGrory Park, I took some photos over the wall before heading down to the main entrance to see if there was any chance of gaining entry. My luck was in.


A friendly gent originally from Nottingham was getting the ground ready in preparation of a local cup final the following Friday. He told me to go inside the buildings and take whatever photos I wanted.


The ground was relatively basic, but it had obviously been looked after of late. The only small cover was behind the goal, but the Royston Road side had a few steps of open terracing, while the opposite side looked to have been prepared for something similar.


My thoughts about the club making a real effort and using the McGrory history to attract fans were confirmed. I was told that when the old committee left, gates were around 20 to 30. Now 150 would be a regular attendance, with up to another 100 added if Celtic were away.


It was good to see a local club making a real effort. I departed as the rain fell and walked up Broomfield Road to head to Petershill to update my photo collection.




No comments:

Post a Comment