Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 13 May 2020

Yoker Athletic (Scotland)


Yoker Athletic is a Scottish non-league football club based in the district of the same name, close to Clydebank in the west of Glasgow. ‘Whe Ho’ were formed in 1886 before becoming members of the Scottish Junior FA.


Yoker lifted the Scottish Junior Cup in 1932-33 after defeating Tranent Juniors 4-2 after a 0-0 draw in the final. Three years later the club were runners up after losing out to Benburb by the only goal in a game in 1935-36 that once again went to extra time.


After a long period without any major honours, the Central League Division Two title was delivered to Holm Park in 1988-89. After a later relegation, the championship win was repeated in 2010-11, with Clydebank in situ at Holm Park as tenants. The following season Yoker went up once more as runners up.


Back in the retitled second level Championship, Yoker consolidated in fifth place before dropping down to mid table in 2013-14 and then slipping further down over the following couple of seasons before narrowly avoiding relegation in 2016-17.

Yoker found themselves placed in West Region League One with a safe finish in 2017-18 prior to being relegated in 2018-19 after Peter McKenna and Tommy Montgomery had taken over as joint managers.


A new artificial pitch and changes to the infrastructure at Holm Park were completed to turn it into a modern venue to share with Clydebank which included a new pavilion and social club.

After adjustments were made to the league table on a points per game method owing to its early abandonment in 2019-20 owing to the outbreak of Coronavirus, Yoker were placed in fifth before they departed the Junior set up.


Yoker became affiliate SFA members and joined the newly formed West of Scotland League where they were given a place in the Scottish sixth tier Conference C.

Yoker Athletic FC will play in the West of Scotland League Conference C in the 2019-20 season.


My visit

Monday 30th September 2013

I was in Glasgow and its surrounding areas for a couple of days relaxation and to visit as many new venues as possible. It was a bright early autumn afternoon and my plans were on schedule as the train arrived in Yoker after changing at Partick.


The immediate area was dominated by 1960’s tower blocks containing low cost housing. I cut across the grass between them and onto Dumbarton Road, where I crossed over and approached Holm Park.


The venue had seen better days but was perfectly suited for the clubs requirements. An ornate stand stood down the far touchline with terracing either side of it. Opposite also had a few crumbling steps and open grass, as did the far goal. The entrance end was flat open standing with the changing rooms and clubhouse in the corner.


Having taken my photos I took advantage of the portable food outlet on the end of Dock Street. It looked like trade was sparse as it was a Bank Holiday north of the border. My bacon baguette and cup of tea went down a treat and gave me renewed energy as I waited on the baron station platform awaiting my next train towards Alexandria.









No comments:

Post a Comment