Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 13 May 2020

Glentoran (Northern Ireland)



Glentoran FC is a football club formed in 1882 who hail from East Belfast in Northern Ireland. Their biggest rivals are Linfield FC, with the clubs known across Ulster football fans as 'The Big Two'.

'The Glens' or 'Cock and Hens' have played at The Oval since 1892. Up until then the club played at Ormeau Park, King’s Field in Ballymacarratt and Musgrave Park. Between 1941 and 1949 The Glens had to decamp to Distillery’s home at Grosvenor Park.


The Oval would be bombed during World War II, it’s location in the shadows of the dockyards being an inconvenience. The Oval was rebuilt with the help of Distillery FC and Cliftonville FC and huge assistance from the local community.

Glentoran quickly became a successful club, aided by the signing of several Scottish players who had arrived in the area to work at a nearby distillery. The Irish League title was collected in 1893-94, 1896-97, 1904-05, 1911-12 and 1912-13.

A first Irish Cup triumph came in 1913-14 with a 3-1 victory against Linfield when the club went on to become the first British team to win a European trophy when they lifted The Vienna Cup.

The Irish Cup was regained in 1916-17 when Belfast Celtic were defeated 2-0. Glens went on to be crowned as Irish League champions in 1920-21 and 1924-25 before Joe Bambrick became star striker before heading off to Linfield. The goals of Fred Roberts helped Glentoran make it national title number eight in 1930-31.


The Cup was lifted for a third time following a 2-0 win over Glenavon in 1920-21. Further triumphs arrived in 1931-32, 2-1 against Linfield, Distillery 3-1 in a second replay in 1932-33 before requiring a 1-0 win in a second replay against Larne in 1934-35.

Glentoran would then have to wait a further fifteen years without a major trophy despite Danny Blanchflower, Peter Doherty, Jimmy McIlroy and Billy Bingham being on the clubs' books around that time.


It would be under manager Sam Grice that the glory days returned to the rebuilt Oval. The league was won in 1950-51 with the Cup also collected for a seventh time with a 3-1 win against Ballymena United to complete the double as forward Sammy Hughes starred. 

The title was won again in 1952-53 before a young George Best watched Glentoran as a youth with his Dad and Grandad as the 60's loomed. The club rejected him as a player, saying he was too small and light.


The club enjoyed the swinging 60's,becoming Irish champions in 1963-64 and 1966-67 with another Irish Cup win, 2-0 against Linfield sandwiched in between in 1965-66. In the summer of 1967, the club became the Detroit Cougars football franchise in the United Soccer Association. 

The success led to several glory nights in European competition with perhaps their greatest moment coming in the 1967-68 season. 


The Glens held the eventual finalists, the mighty Benfica, including Eusebio, 1-1 at The Oval in the European Cup in front of 40,000 fans before putting up a herculean performance in the Estadio da Luz in Lisbon drawing 0-0 but going out on away goals.

Both Terry Conroy and Tommy Cassidy both represented the club in that successful little period. Former Northern Irish international Peter McParland took over the managerial reigns in 1968, leading the club to a fourteenth league title in 1969-70.


The Irish League title was sealed again in 1971-72 with George Eastham Snr at the helm. His side also won the Irish Cup against old rivals Linfield the following season, leading to a European Cup Winners Cup campaign.

Glens reached the quarter finals of the before Borussia Mönchengladbach gave them a footballing lesson. The league championship flag flew over The Oval once again in 1975-76. Warren Feeney put away the goals before Ronnie McFaul managed the club to another league triumph in 1980-81.


In 1982 Glentoran celebrated their centenary season. Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur provided opponents at The Oval in showcase matches, while George Best turned out for his boyhood favourites in the centenary game against Manchester United.  

Linfield were defeated 2-1 after a replay in the 1982-83 Cup final after a replay after the first game at Windsor Park saw huge crowd disturbances. The same opponents were defeated 1-0 in the Cup final of 1984-85; again after a replay.

The Cup was retained for a further two seasons following a 2-1 victory over Coleraine and then 1-0 against Larne as Gary Macartney scored regularly throughout the campaign at The Oval. In 1987-88 Tommy Jackson led the side to another double, as a goal from club legend Jim Cleary was enough to win the Cup 1-0 against Glenavon.


Jackson's side won the Cup with a 3-0 win in 1989-90 against Portadown before winning another league title in 1991-92. Tommy Cassidy had arrived as manager as Glens lifted their sixteenth Irish Cup in 1996-96; this time 1-0 against Glenavon.

The former international was replaced by Roy Coyle who was to oversea another successful period, starting in 1997-98 when Glenavon were defeated once again in the Cup final, 1-0 after extra time. The league title returned to East Belfast in the 1998-99 season.

The Cup was lifted in 1999-00 with a 1-0 victory against Portadown and then in 2000-01 when an extra time Michael Halliday goal defeated Linfield 1-0. 


The 2002-03 season was one of the club's most successful in recent times. Of a potential four trophies, Glentoran won three, capturing the Irish League championship, the Irish League Cup 2-0 against Linfield and the County Antrim Shield, but fell at the final hurdle, losing the Irish Cup Final 1-0 to Coleraine.

In March 2003, the club's board of directors advised the shareholders of Glentoran Recreation Company Ltd to sell the Oval to a property development holding company called Girona. 


A campaign waged by a group of volunteer supporters called Rest In East, was then set up to keep the club in east Belfast. The club's Board of directors suggested moving close to a town called Comber, well outside the city bounds of Belfast, which the majority of supporters firmly opposed.

In 2003-04 Glens had revenge over Coleraine when they defeated them 1-0 in the Cup final with Halliday the scoring hero once again. The league title was won for a twenty second occasion in 2004-05 as Chris Morgan ended the campaign as the league's leading scorer.


On November 3, 2005 a fans forum voted 417-0 in favour of forming Glentoran Community Trust, the first supporters' trust to be formed in Northern Ireland. It was officially formed on 15 May 2006 and registered with the Registry of Companies Belfast under the Industrial and Provident Societies Acts 1965 -1978. 

The trust sat completely independent of the parent club, giving the ordinary non-shareholding supporter a voice. On the 29th of January 2008, the GCT took another historic step in giving the fans a voice, when one of its members, Stephen Henderson was elected to the board of directors by the shareholders of Glentoran FC.

To hear a song about The Oval and see more pictures, go here:


Former QPR and Northern Ireland star defender Alan McDonald had a spell as manager, taking The Glens to a league championship in 2009-10, but sadly the next season things didn't work out. 

Big name signing Keith Gillespie was signed on the strength of a sponsorship with Fona Cabs and he didn't perform. McDonald was replaced by former player Scott Young. 

The club averted a financial crisis in early 2011 until new investors joined the board. The idea of a new stadium to replace the aging Oval at the Jackie Blanchflower Stadium on Holywood Road was very much high on the agenda.


The Glens had success in the Europa League at the start of the 2011-12 season when they defeated Macedonian club FK Renova. However, the rest of the season didn't go to plan and Young was replaced by the former Cliftonville boss Eddie Patterson.

The club faced real financial worries when new chairman Terence Brannigan stepped in to put the club on an even keel in 2011. While the new stadium plans had stalled when he departed in May 2014, the finances were in good order. The Irish Cup was also lifted in 2013 with a 3-1 extra time victory over Cliftonville at Windsor Park.


Brannigan's replacement Stephen Henderson vowed to carry on the work in building a new stadium for the club. Glentoran lifted the Irish Cup in 2015 after Portadown were defeated at The Oval as Windsor Park was under redevelopment.

Roy Coyle took over from Eddie Patterson as caretaker manager early in the 2015-16 season after a poor start to the campaign before Alan Kernaghan was appointed full time in November 2015.


The new manager took the side to a fifth place finish as he carried an overhaul of the squad, which included the signing of Rangers legend Nacho Novo. In May 2016 the supporters approved the recommendation from the board to demolish The Oval and accept the government money which was available to build a new community based stadium on the same site.

A poor start to the 2016-17 campaign saw Kernaghan being replaced by Gary Haveron who was dismissed in Fenruary 2018, with legendary veteran manager Ronnie McFaul returning to The Oval.

McFaul lasted until January 2019 when replaced by Gary Smyth after the team had mounted a title challenge before falling away. McDermott was appointed as Glens manager in April 2019.

Glentoran FC will play in the NIFL Premiership in the 2020-21 season.


My visits

Coleraine 2 Dungannon Swifts 0 (Wednesday 3rd February 2010) Co-Operative Insurance League Cup Semi Final (att: approx 2,000)


Having rested my aching body and relaxed, I wrapped up for the evening’s semi final between Coleraine and Dungannon Swifts at The Oval after an extensive days groundhopping around Ulster. 

I had already seen Glentoran managed by former Northern Ireland international Alan McDonald, who would resign a few weeks later and starring Keith Gillespie win through to the final the previous evening at Windsor Park. 


Transport to the ground was not ideal, necessitating a bus ride and a walk. I decided to have pint to send me on my way, as there are no pubs close by to the ground and alcohol is not served inside venues. Nick had advised me of a bar named Bittles which looked promising when I’d passed on my bus tour, and it was near my required bus stop. 


I ordered a Guinness, before I nearly messed myself. A big man looking like a young John Thaw tried to engage me in conversation. He had stitches across the bridge of his nose. I thought he may have just been the pub drunk so I just nodded. 

He was insistent that he knew me. He carried on. I explained that I was a tourist on my first visit. At this point he became extremely apologetic as it turned out I must have a double who he did know. 


He insisted on paying for my beer even though I explained I only had time for a quick pint. He had indeed had earlier sunk a few pints with his colleague. They were both in the police force over there and turned out to be good people. 

I even enjoyed myself when I eventually stopped shaking as much, much to the half mirth of the landlord. He thought the situation was hilarious, but he did say he thought it was a better practice to attract customers rather than frighten them away!


I found the stadium without too much trouble and entered the magnificent Main Stand which offered a panoramic view of the arena and the mammoth cranes Samson and Golliath in the shipyards beyond. I was in with the Swifts fans. The Bannsiders of Coleraine were on the terrace to the left curving behind the goal and in the seated area opposite me.

The billboard advertising Jesus amused me. Apparently it was paid for by a sponsor. I could well have done with the great man if my adventures in Bittles had gone as I had first feared!


I thought that The Oval was a tremendous traditional old place, albeit lacking in decent toilet and catering facilities. The food van was the same one that had been at Windsor Park the evening before, and judging by the taste of my supper so had the burgers! Both ends had curved open terracing. 

The Main Stand was a tremendous raised structure with the paddock converted into glassed off corporate areas and seating. The Enclosure was a former covered terracing which has had seats bolted onto the steps in recent years. The views aren’t brilliant but there’s a great atmosphere.


I wanted some photos of the stand I was in and I saw gates were open to the terrace. No sooner had I gone round than the gates were shut, so I became a Coleraine fan for the evening. Well at least that would get approval from Irish Mark, a fellow Scarborough fan I’m mates with who hales from Coleraine! 


There was a decent atmosphere, with Coleraine’s fans outnumbering the Swifts three to one in a gate of around 2,000 as their side won 3-0. Rory Patterson who had decent spells at Bradford Park Avenue and FC United continued his excellent run of scoring which had propelled him before the eyes of the national selectors.


I walked back into town after the game, which took about half an hour to the pub area. I crossed the River Lagan and saw some of the tasteful redevelopment and stunning apartments. The planners had used blue neon lights to great effect. 


On a warmer night it could well have been Sydney in the background; such is the similarity to the lighting around Darling Harbour down under. Again, I wanted to visit in good weather. I had a terrific evening in several bars, generally enjoying my surroundings. I found Belfast very similar to Glasgow and I felt at home in both places.

Wednesday 4th January 2017

My second trip to The Oval came the lunchtime after I’d been to see the Premiership match between Cliftonville and Carrick Rangers. I’d already been for a ride to Crusaders and then Dundela before walking down the hill and getting slightly lost before finding myself on Parkgate Drive.


The gates to The Oval were locked, but my luck was in as a club official had just arrived to get out of his car to head inside as he was there to make sure that the bins had been emptied. I believe it was director Graeme Jenkins?


He was extremely helpful and told me news of redevelopment was imminent once the funding was released from those up the hill at Stormont. He explained that unfortunately the amazing old stand would have to come down, which would be a bitter blow in more ways than one.


It would cost £2M to demolish it. Unfortunately needs must if the Cock & Hens were to keep pace and try and reach the top of the game in Northern Ireland once again. Graeme allowed me time to have a good look around, which was greatly appreciated.


Once I was done I said goodbye and thanks before deciding to have a walk and see some of East Belfast’s murals depicting their proud shipbuilding history, the Titanic and other deeper issues. 

Glentoran 0 Linfield 1 (Monday 8th October 2018) NIFL Premiership (att: 4,425)


There was something about the Glens that I really liked. They were certainly the team whose results I looked out for in the Irish League. Whether it was the iconic Oval or their distinctive kits, I wasn’t sure. Perhaps the kindness of the director last time had cemented it?

However, I was keen to see them play a home game, and the thought was enhanced with a post on the excellent Non League Matter forum; which can be viewed here. Glentoran decided to do groundhopper packages from the start of the 2018-19 season.


For £20 you got a seat upstairs in the stand, a pin badge, a pint in the bar and a behind the scenes tour of the stadium. I was definitely up for that, even more so when I realised that I was on a long weekend when the Glens were at home to Linfield.

The match had been moved to a Monday night for Sky TV but when I checked the website it said that the package was full for that game. I wanted to attend regardless, so I emailed commercial director Simon Wallace in the hope of securing a ticket.


He kindly got back to me and said that he’d squeeze me onto the tour. It would turn out to be some of the best news groundhopping wise that I’d received. I got on with booking a return flight for £24 and a room in the city centre.

Forward a month or so and I had to be up at 5.30am to head to Stansted Airport. I was in less than pristine condition after an epic day out watching Hendon play at Lancing in the FA Cup with Steve Barnes. I felt like I’d drank in every pub in Sussex.


The tube and train ran smoothly. The usual stuff managed to irritate me getting through the security checks. It never failed to maze me how little people listened to instructions. I eventually got through in need of food.

The staff at Burger King must have just completed a competition to employ the Gormless Git of the Year award judging by the staff. Who’s have thought a filled muffin and a coffee could be such a complicated business?


To add to my mirth the flight was delayed, and the toilets were closed when I eventually got to Gate 30. Apart from that everything was tickety boo. Fortunately, the flight wasn’t packed, and I grabbed a bit of shut eye before we landed at Belfast International.

The bus into the city was waiting and I paid the £11 return fare. The ride passed me by as I listened to the FA Cup draw. Hendon were drawn at home to Maidenhead United if they could defeat Chippenham Town in an awkward game on the forthcoming Wednesday.


It was a gloomy day in Belfast on arrival as I headed to the EasyHotel in hope of an early check in around 1pm. The friendly and professional fella on reception gave me good news. I could have a room instantly for a tenner surcharge. It was a no brainer!

After a much needed sleep I got up pondering how to reach The Oval. In the end I decided that I was going to walk it to get rid of some excesses. It wasn’t particularly warm, but I soon built up a head of steam.


The murals on Newtonards Road were a timely and stark reminder of the need to securing the hard work of the Good Friday Agreement during the ongoing farcical Brexit negotiations. Lest we never forget.

My timing was bang on as I arrived outside The Oval five minutes before the tour was to begin. I got some jealous messages on Facebook when I posted where I was and what I was going to see!


Sam Robinson came outside and introduced himself as our tour guide. I also caught up with Simon who’d sorted me out. Both instantly gave off a welcoming and friendly persona. I was joined on the tour by several from the UK, a Belgian and some Dutch lads.

We started off on Mersey Street where Sam explained that the clubs first two venues were nearby and the origins of the club around the shipbuilding industry before returning to the ground and inside the iconic stand.


It was like a working museum on a match day as Sam explained. We entered the very basic visiting changing room, which had a display of shirts from the European sides Glentoran had come up against over the years.

The home dressing room was much smarter, though nothing like the modern stadiums, with many thought provoking and inspiring quotes on the walls. Opposite was the physio room named in tribute to former club stalwart Bobby McGregor.


Sam continued to narrate the club story beautifully, with a mixture of interesting tales and time for any questions and a chance to take photos, which wasn’t always easy in some of the small rooms and a maximum group.

Next, we walked down the steps and along the players tunnel. The Oval pitch was built below sea level, which had led to problems over the years. It was in pristine condition for the match and we were allowed a rare treat of going across it.


We went back inside into the old players lounge, a slightly dated board room which authentically smelt of a previously era and the supporters club room where an amiable member gave us a quick chat and a previous match programme.

We were told all about the Detroit Tigers tour when Glentoran’s part time players enjoyed the 1967 ‘Summer of Love’ representing the motor city and doing alright on the pitch. It must have been an eye opener, not least to the panama hat clad directors.


Sam walked us across to the away end and explained some past experiences against Linfield in the Railway Stand in wilder days when it was terraced and split between the fans, as well as when ammunition for the local defence forces was stashed behind the stand.

We walked around the track up to ‘The Bank’ at the other end. where old war pill box still stood about to receive some restoration. The bank at the Oval is one of the highest points in the city, so defences were based there during the War to try and detect German advances.


The Oval received a lot of damage as the Germans thought it was to do with the shipbuilding industry from their maps. The local community rebuilt the ground after the conflict before the stand was built a few years later.

A Glens fan had also taken the tour and was captivated and said he had learned so much. Photographers and a film crew also joined us at times. I hope that the package would get the support it so richly deserved.


Credit must go to Glentoran for only charging £20, but as the fellas explained, they didn’t want it to become a corporate event. They wanted it to be accessible to all fans and didn’t want to put people off.

The spirit of the club was epitomised to me as we made our way back round and Sam saw a club official with a Juventus shirt, which belonged to Claudio Gentile who had swapped it with a Glentoran player after a European tie.


The player had somehow lost ownership of it, but someone got a clue to its whereabouts and recovered it. They were to present the player with it before the match. I thought that was a lovely story.

The tour lasted just light of two hours and I enjoyed every minute of it. It was probably the best I’d ever been on and I thanked a genuinely humble Sam and Simon who actually thanked us for going.

I bought a woolly Glens hat from the shop and grabbed a programme for £3 before sitting with Filip who was a Beerschot fan in Antwerp. We both agreed that it had been a superb tour while I picked his brains about Belgian football while we had our complimentary pint.


I also grabbed a few minutes with Simon who turned out to be an avid cricket fan and a relation of recently retired Lord’s groundsman Mick Hunt. Talk about a small world. Simon couldn’t believe that I knew him and his wife.

By now I was hungry, so I grabbed a cheeseburger and large portion of chips for £7 before climbing the steep stair back up into the stand. I managed to get a seat up on the back row with a bit of rare legroom. The view wasn’t perfect, but I was more than happy.


There obviously a bit of a rivalry between the club, although I was told it wasn’t religiously based. The game is termed ‘The Big Two Derby’ in the province and Linfield came into the match in second place and unbeaten in the league.

Glens were in fourth spot and having a decent campaign under veteran boss Ronnie McFaul. The Glens Ladies team showed off their recent cup triumph before the teams emerged; ironically against Linfield Ladies.


Kick off was put back five minutes to allow the crowds in. The Blues were backed by a sizeable following behind the City End goal and in the Railway Stand. Many Glens fans stood on the bank. Health and Safety officers in England would have had seizures.

The wind was blowing hard from the city, and rain began to fall. It had all the ingredients for a spicy encounter. Tackles were soon flying in before John Herron tried an acrobatic overhead kick, but Blues veteran keeper Roy Carroll was equal to it.


Blues wide man Joel Cooper recovered from a poor foul to set up the opener on twenty four minutes. He was allowed to run without challenge before laying the ball square to Michael O’Connor who fired hard and low past Elliot Morris from twenty yards.

The away section went wild with delight and some singing started. The atmosphere was OK, but there wasn’t the noise I was expecting for any period. Glens fans sporadically responded with a “Come on you Glens” mainly when a corner was won.


Glens John McGuigan had a weak shot easily gathered by Carroll on the half hour mark. A corner from Blues man Kirk Millar nearly went straight into the net with wind assistance but was scrambled away from the line.

The conditions were certainly affecting the game. Tempers were frayed, and a couple of Glens players were cautioned by referee Arnold Hunter who was not particularly popular with either sets of fans. It wasn’t an easy game to officiate if truth be told.


I remained in my seat at the break. It was nice, and cosy and my Glens hat was proving a smart investment. Curtis Allen missed a guilt edged chance to equalise soon after the restart when he put his header wide.

Glens had the wind at their backs and were forcing the issue. At the other end Willie Garrett blocked a powerful shot from Blues Jamie Mulgrew. Linfield had a decent little spell and twice came close to extending their lead.


Carroll pulled off a top save to deny a Marcus Kane header. It wasn’t to be the hosts evening. The Linfield team celebrated with their fans at full time. Glens got a good ovation from the stand. The referee was roundly booed!

Leaving the ground I’d noted that buses weren’t especially frequent so I made my way through the street of East Belfast in the shadow of the huge Harland and Wolff cranes before crossing the River Lagan back into the centre.

I’d intended to have a pint in Bittles but they were closing. The city streets were quiet as I popped into the hotel to drop my souvenirs off before heading to Robinson’s for a Guinness and then next door to the ornate Crown Liquor Saloon.


The Dutch lads from the tour were in there and I had a chat with one of them while I supped a pint. The weekend had caught up with me and I was shattered. The walk had done me good as I was hungry again, so I got a small pizza at Little Italy to take back.

The following morning, I took a walk before having a snack at The Bridge House Wetherspoons establishment. It was good to see that the tour was getting good responses to my post on the European Football Weekends post on Facebook.

Sam Robinson was most kind in his comments. Many viewing the post said they’d be booking the tour. Let’s hope so. I also noted that Blues boss David Healy was complaining about the treatment dished out to his players and the weak refereeing in the local paper.


The bus dropped me back at the airport where there was one last drama. The X ray  machine detected something untoward with my rucksack, which was emptied while had two body searches. I received an apology for the inconvenience.

I’d rather see thorough searches, but it was quite embarrassing at the time. All minds of conspiracy theories were going through my brain. All was good in the end as I headed  back to the mainline to prepare for night shift with a heap full of good memories.





No comments:

Post a Comment