Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Thursday 30 January 2020

Burntisland Shipyard (Scotland)


Burntisland Shipyard FC is a Scottish non-league football club from the town of Burntisland, located on the north banks of the Firth of Forth. The club was formed in April 1919 from the proceeds to the Burntisland Shipbuilding Company's recreation fund.



The fund also set up sections for cricket and bowls as well as two football teams. The juvenile side continued alone playing in the local Fife leagues until the formation of Burntisland Shipyard Amateur FC in 1925 to compete in the Lothian Amateur League.

The club first competed in the qualifying rounds of the Scottish Cup in 1929. In 1935-36 Shipyard reached the first round; going out to Dumbarton after a replay. In 1938-39 the same stage was reached for a visit of Celtic which ended in an 8-3 defeat in front of 2,000 spectators.



A switch to the Kirkcaldy and District Amateur League was made in 1959; where they were champions in 1965-66. The Burntisland Shipbuilding Company went into liquidation in 1969, with only the dedication of the committee saving the football club.

In 1971-72 Burntisland defeated Coldstream in the Cup before going down to Elgin City in the second round. The achievement was rewarded with a civic reception. 1977-78 saw another appearance; this time ending in defeat at home to Berwick Rangers.



Former captain Jim Thomson managed the side that picked up cup triumphs and created a strong team. Another appearance in the proper rounds of the Scottish Cup was achieved in 1995-86; ending in defeat in round three to Huntly.

However, the previous round victory over St Cuthberts Wanderers created unprecedented media interest. Rabbie Matthew bagged a hat-trick in the 6-2 win in front of 750 fans. BBC coverage of the game can be viewed here.



Shipyard became members of the Kingdom Caledonian Football League in 1999-00; where Burntisland remained until the completion of the 2011-12 campaign. In 2006 a new clubhouse was built at Recreation Park.

From the 2007-08 season the Cup was reorganised, with all SFA members entering from the first round stage. After defeating Wigtown and Bladnoch on the road, 'Shippy' went down to Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill Stadium.



Burntisland Shipyard became members of the East of Scotland Football League from 2011-12 competing in the second tier First Division before joining the extended single division in 2015-16. From the following season onwards, the club was required to compete in preliminary rounds of the Scottish Cup.

The side generally finished in the lower reaches of the league table. In 2018-19 Shipyard were placed in the league’s Conference B; one of three equal divisions in the sixth level of Scottish football, as further restructuring took place.



The same campaign saw the team battle through a couple of preliminary ties to reach the first round of the Cup before bowing out at home to Cumbernauld Colts. Further league restructuring saw Shipyard placed in the second tier of the East of Scotland Football League for 2019-20; the seventh level of the league pyramid.

Burntisland Shipyard FC will play in the East of Scotland Football League First Division Conference A in the 2019-20 season.



My visit

Friday 24th January 2020


My first day around Fife looking to visit football venues was underway at last after a rickety start. My very sociable evening around Edinburgh had taken its toll after I woke up in the excellent Frederick House Hotel.

In the nick of time I sorted myself out and managed to catch the X60 bus towards Kirkcaldy from Princes Street. I’d purchased the Fife Dayrider Plus ticket for £11:50 and was enjoying my first view of the Forth Bridge while keeping an eye on Google Maps.


I needed to get out at the Ferrytoll Park & Ride just across the road bridge. I grabbed my gear and told the driver, who confirmed that it was the next stop. As it happened there was no chance of me missing it, as it was a bus terminal.

Chuffed with myself I got off to await the next bus that would take me to Inverkeithing so that I could visit the ground of the Hill Swifts club in the town. It was only when the X60 pulled away that I realised that I’d left my ticket on my seat.


Retiring to the waiting room to lick my wounds, I found out that a replacement would set me back another £9.30. That would teach me. With my impending service due I headed outside with two vehicles pulling in; both marked for Dunfermline.

The first one, the 87 service, didn’t hang about as it had nobody getting off; only for me to realise that was the one I needed. The second bus couldn’t oblige. Fortunately, another service was due ten minutes later, but it meant that I wouldn’t have time for my first ground of the day.


Alighting at Square in Inverkeithing I awaited the number 7 bus. It would be a service that fed my needs for the next few hours. A pleasant ride along the shore took me through Dalgety Bay and Aberdour before Burntisland.

The Kirkton Graveyard stop on Church Street was a just a short stroll from Recreation Park. I took photos of the ground by peering over the fence on Glebe Place, Kerr Court and from the playing field behind one end.


It was a neat and tidy venue with the main structures all behind the west goal, including the changing rooms and 1919 Bar. A new covered terraced enclosure was in place on the Kerr Court side. The hills on the north side of the ground offered a pretty backdrop.

Burntisland was a club who I had been aware of for many years because they had featured on the fixture list and results on Grandstand as I grew up through their fleeting Scottish Cup appearances, so I was glad to have a look at where they played.


Once satisfied with my photos I had time to kill before the next 7 bus was due. Instead of loitering I took a walk. The locals seemed a friendly bunch. It always leaves a good impression of somewhere when people say hello or good morning. It’s not the norm in London!


The walk downhill took me to High Street, and the Allan Court stop in readiness for the number 7 to Kirkcaldy and a chance to have a look at the home of Raith Rovers.

















No comments:

Post a Comment