Sestao River
Club
Ground: Estadio Las Lianas
Capacity: 4,367
Club Founded: 1996
League: Segunda Federación Group 1 - 4th Tier (current level)
Formed to replace Sestao Sport Club in 1996, Sestao River Club continues in the same marvellous inner-city stadium with the same passionate support.
Club Background
The Early Years of Sestao Sport Club
Sestao Sport Club was formed in Sestao, on
the south bank of the Nervión, a few miles west of Bilbao in Spain’s Basque
Country in 1916. The club moved into Campo Municipal de las Llanas to compete in local and regional football.
They progressed to the Tercera
División for the 1929-30 campaign, the third level of Spanish football at the
time. After the Spanish Civil War, Sestao played in Segunda División in the 1939-40 season before winning promotion fourteen years later.
Success and then Liquidation
In 1960-61, Club were relegated after losing their play-off game on aggregate to FC
Cartagena. Sestao remained in the Tercera División until 1977-78, when the
leagues were reorganised, and Sestao were placed in Segunda División B. After a series of high league finishes, Club were promoted as champions in 1984-85 to Segunda División.
Their spell at the higher level lasted just one season. They reached the playoffs in the mid-90s, thanks in part to Tito Subero's goalkeeping. Aitor Bouzo's goals took them to the playoffs again before promotion was sealed back to Segunda División.
However, success came at a price as the club hit severe financial troubles. Players remained unpaid, and the club was dissolved after finishing in the relegation play-offs.
A New Start as Sestao River Club
Sestao River
Club was formed to replace 'Club' at Las Llanas to play in the fifth-level
Biscaya División de Honor. They won promotion within three seasons to Grupo IV of the fourth-level Tercera División as supporters remained loyal to the new setup.
Two excellent league campaigns created a platform for the 2003-04 campaign, when River were crowned champions and won promotion to Segunda División B. Their spell lasted just one season but bounced back twelve months later.
It's Never Dull in Sestao
River were relegated once more at the end of the decade, fighting back to earn a playoff place and win promotion to return to the third tier. Jito's goals helped the side reach the playoffs at that level in 2013-14 but missed out on a return to the second tier of Spanish football after drawing 5-5 on aggregate with Albacete and losing on away goals.
Three seasons later, River were relegated before Villar scored the goals as the side coached by Ibón Etxebarrieta that reached the playoffs, where they were defeated by Arandina CF. In 2018-19, Óscar Martín's goals led Sestao to the playoffs again, where promotion hopes were dashed by Marino de Luanco.
Recent Seasons
It would be local rivals, Portugalete Club, who caused playoff heartache the following season. 2020-21 was a transitional season for the Spanish league system, and River fared well. Sestao were placed in the fourth tier, Segunda Federación, after league restructuring.
Aitor Calle coached the team to the playoffs, where CD Eldense proved too strong. However, Leandro scored the goals in 2022-23 that took Sestao to the title and promotion to the third tier, Primera Federación. They lasted two seasons at that level before being relegated.
My visits
Friday 24th February 2017
My long
weekend in Bilbao and the Biscay region had just begun after landing at Bilbao
Airport, taking a bus into the city and visiting the home of Barakaldo CF. After
taking a train from Urbinaga to Sestao, I came out in a busy and pleasant little
town centre.
Walking past
the Parroquia de Santa María church on Kasko Plaze, I headed uphill on Alameda
las Llanas Kalea, laden with several local bars and shops. Las Llanas looked like a
substantial and interesting venue, but the gates were locked.
I tried
several places, but there was no way in. I managed to get some shots through
gaps in the fencing before heading round to the far end on Calle San Diego
Kalea. This was below ground level in the undulating area. Once again, I had no luck, so I headed off to my next venue, the home of
Portugalete Club.
Saturday 25th February 2017
Being of
stubborn persuasion, I was not going to submit, having not got inside Las
Llanas. I’d contacted a fan through social media who’d liked my initial Tweet
and photos, and he suggested that the ground may be open on Saturday before the
team headed to Arenas Club de Getxo for their local derby.
Once out of
bed, I grabbed a panini before catching the Metro from Abando station and
then retraced my steps when alighting at Sestao. I was out of luck again, but
it wasn’t a total failure.
I’d been a
bit tentative the previous day, but now it was all or nothing. I think a group of middle-aged and elderly locals waiting for a coach
trip might have been surprised when I stood on a bench in the street so I could see over the wall
behind the goal and get a view to take photos.
It really
was a stadium full of character. An indoor pelota hall took up space towards
the corner down one side. The rest of the touchline was occupied by a decent-sized covered
terrace with a glazed area at the rear. The near goal was open
terracing, as was the far end.
The far side
was taken up by a full-length seated stand, from where I also managed to get
some shots through the side of an exit gate. It was built into a natural hill.
Much of the paintwork was in Sestao’s green and black colours.
Once again, I
had a look all the way around, but that was as good as it was going to get. I
headed back to the Metro to catch a train to Casco Viejo and watch some
football action on top of the hill at Mallona. Sestao was
firmly pencilled in for a home match visit if I ever returned to Bilbao.

No comments:
Post a Comment