Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 13 May 2020

Shettleston (Scotland)

Shettleston Juniors Football & Athletic Ground, to give them their full title, are a Scottish Junior or non-league football club based in Glasgow's East End. 'The Town' were formed in 1903.

Shettleston were crowned Glasgow League champions in 1923-24 and 1926-27 before a young Tommy Docherty started out his career at Greenfield Park until joining Celtic in 1945. Honours came in the 1950's as the Glasgow Junior Cup was lifted in 1957 and 1959, the same year The Town were runners up to Irvine Meadow XI at Hampden Park in the Scottish Junior Cup Final.












Another Glasgow Junior Cup came along a year after, with another one following in 1968. League honours came when Shettleston won the Central Division One title in 1985-86, 1998-99 and 2001-02. Three West of Scotland Cup wins were also interspersed throughout the same period. along with a trio of Central Sectional League Cup victories.

In 2000-01 Shettleston reached the semi finals of the Junior Cup and then the last eight the following season as the club had a resurgence. 












Shettleston FC will play in the SJFA Central District First Division One in the 2013-14 season.












My visit

Monday 30th September 2013

A year earlier I had realised that I had missed a club off my list of those to visit in Glasgow, especially after whizzing by on the train from Edinburgh. I wasn't going to kiss out twice, so while on a visit to the city for a couple of days I made sure that I fitted a call to Shettleston into my itinerary.

I had walked up to Old Shettleston Road after calling in at nearby Vale of Clyde FC and found a couple of blokes going into the ground through a door on the main road. They kindly let me inside past the dressing rooms to pitchside, where I could survey the scene.












Greenfield Park appeared to be a ground in transition. I was told that it once had a Main Stand down the Railway Side, which was now open hard and grass standing. There were hopes that a replacement would go up in the near future. The right hand goal was a similar story. Where there was once cover, there was now nothing. The Clubhouse End had a fine cover over it with a seperate small seated cover behind the goal. The Old Shettleston Road Side consisted of flat standing and then terracing in front of the players facilities and then a covered terrace. That side of the ground had seen better days but it oozed character. Work looked to be under way to make improvements.












I mentioned to one of the gents that I was going to St Mirren against Aberdeen that evening. He suggested that it could be a decent game and predicted a 1-1 scoreline. He also suggested I used the inviting looking clubhouse for some refreshment before I set off to my next destination.

Sadly, as ever, time was my master and with a tight schedule ahead I declined and walked down to Carntyne station to set off to Yoker.














No comments:

Post a Comment