Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 13 May 2020

Cambuslang Rangers (Scotland)


Cambuslang Rangers FC is a football club from the south eastern outskirts of Glasgow, who compete in junior football; the Scottish equivalent of non-league who were formed in 1899.


‘The Wee Gers’ were winners of the Glasgow League in 1910-11, 1911-12, 1914-15 and 1915–16 as well as reaching the Scottish Junior Cup final of 1919-20 where the team were defeated 2-0 by Parkhead.

The team finished as beaten finalists once more in 1926-27 as they went down 2-1 to Glencairn, before ‘The Lang’ went on to win the Junior Cup back in 1937-38 after defeating Benburb 3-2.


Cambuslang lifted the West of Scotland Cup in 1959-60 as future Lisbon Lion Bobby Murdoch spending time in the side while on loan from Celtic. The success was just a taster for what was about to come as the 1960’s came to a close.

The Junior Cup was won 1-0 at Hampden Park against Kirkintilloch Rob Roy in 1968-69. A third success in the same competition followed in 1970-71, as Newtongrange Star were defeated 2-1.


The same season saw Rangers being crowned as Central League champions and more honours were to follow. In 1971-72 Cambuslang won the Junior Cup 3-2 against Bonnyrigg Rose after a replay, as well as defending the Central League title and lifting the West of Scotland Cup.

The Central League and West of Scotland Cup were retained in 1972-73, but the side went down in the Junior Cup final following a 1-0 defeat to Irvine Meadow XI after two replays. The greatest ever Rangers player is said to be Willie McCallum, who starred during this time.


The Wee Rangers collected the Central League and Junior Cup double in 1973-74, with Linlithgow Rose being defeated 3-1 in the Hampden showpiece.

After a period without lifting honours, Rangers returned to a successful spell as they were crowned champions of the Central League Division One in 1985-86, 1989-90 and 1990-91.


After re-organisation of junior football Cambuslang placed in the West of Scotland Super League First Division, but were relegated in 2002-03 to the West of Scotland League Central District First Division.

Rangers regained their Super League First Division spot with a title win in 2003-04. However, they were relegated once again to the Central District First Division at the completion of the 2005-06 campaign.


Cambuslang won another promotion but were relegated at the end of the 2013-14 season to the Central District Second Division after an eleventh place finish, but looked to bounce back under joint managers John Doyle and Paddy Flannery.

A third place finish in 2015-16 under manager Paul McColl won Rangers promotion back to the Central District First Division. The First Division title was lifted in 2016-17 as Rangers won successive promotions.


Cambuslang Rangers FC will play in the SJFA West of Scotland Super League First Division in the 2017-18 season.



My visits

Tuesday 26 January 2010

My first groundhop trip in the Glasgow area was underway, as I'd alighted from my northbound train at Motherwell on a murky day. I'd called in to Fir Park and then the home of Belshill Athletic before jumping out at Cambuslang.


I quickly found Somervell Park, just a few minutes walk away from the station, and to me delight one of the gates in the corner near the clubhouse was open.

It was certainly an impressive venue with its substantial cover down the far side and terracing around three sides. The far end looked to be a little overgrown, with the old Hoover factory behind it.


Once I'd taken plenty of photos I headed back to the station to carry on my adventures to the south of the city before booking into my hotel, taking a nap and then heading to that evening's match between Hamilton Academical and Kilmarnock.

Cambuslang Rangers 6 Vale of Clyde 0 (Wednesday 2nd August 2017) West of Scotland Central Sectional League Cup Round One Section 4 (att: c100)


There was a time when I’d have laughed at the suggestion of heading north of the border for non-league football. However, I had come to realise that the standard was decent, matches uncompromising and some of the venues beautifully old school.

I’d been at the Blyth Spartans v Whitby Town pre season friendly the previous evening before taking a train north to Glasgow; a city I'd never tired of visiting. After completing afternoon visits to the home of St Roch’s and Petershill, I headed to the Bon Accord to dry out; at least on the outside.


The brilliant pub on North Street was at its usual high standard. The staff were chatty and friendly as ever. Craig, the Partick Thistle fan and I had a good chat about the upcoming season and I tried some fantastic ales.

Beers from the Cromarty Brewery, Wagtail from Great Oakley Brewery of Northants and the usual Pixel Bandit of Lawman Brewery in Cumbernauld all hit the spot. The quality of the Coach House Summer Ale was fine, but I wasn’t keen on the sweet taste.


To me Cromarty was somewhere on the Shipping Forecast that interrupted Test Match Special twice a day on Radio 4 long wave. The stunning ale from the Whiteout ale Cromarty Brewery soon put me right, and I found it is based north of Inverness. That’s educational!

As ever, I was gutted to leave the pub, but I had other items on the itinerary. My overstay had ruled out a trip to the Wetherspoons in Cambuslang, that I was advised was a converted old cinema. Maybe that was for another day?


The 5pm train from Anderston cost £3.10 return and took me directly to Cambuslang; from where it was just a couple of minutes walk to Somervell Park. The turnstiles were still to open, so I went upstairs and half a beer in Sweepers bar, which adjoined the ground.

Admission to the match was £6. No programmes had been printed. Inside the ground there was an anticipated gathering around the refreshment hut. The shutters came up, but the pies were not yet ready.


Somervell Park looked superb. It looked like a tidy up had taken place since I’d previously visited to take photos. The far end had certainly been improved. I started the game watching down the open side and at the far end.

Both teams were wearing change kits, with a lot of red and white on display. It was great to be taken back in time as both teams jogged out separately and lined up ready for kick off without any handshakes or other politically correct rubbish. I was also taken by the old fashioned goal stanchions.


I’m not sure whether the pitch was particularly small or maybe it looked that way with the terracing being right up to the concrete wall around the playing area, and the touchline was just a couple of yards inside? All in all it was an English FA ground grader’s nightmare.

The pitch was lush with the ball skidding around after the earlier heavy rain that had thankfully stopped. The whole set up reminded me of my visit to Erandio in Bilbao; although the surroundings and weather weren’t quite the same.


The match started at a high frenetic tempo as all twenty two players began like they’d all had a crap day at work and were determined to get rid of their frustrations. In the distance stood Celtic Park; belonging to the same sport but a zillion miles apart in everything else.

Vale of Clyde, from just a couple of miles north, looked to employ an offside trap to thwart the home side. From an early stage it was destined to fail. The visiting keeper had already pulled off a couple of saves before the trap was breached as ‘The Lang’ went 1-0 up.


I’d headed back in search of food when the score was doubled as a free kick went through somewhere near the defensive wall should have been and past a motionless goalkeeper. Cambuslang were dominant with the omens not good for the ‘Tin Pail’ side.

My prospects were excellent when the scotch pies were officially ready. The crowds quickly encircled but I was swift off the mark to purchase mine with a Bovril for just £2. The pie was excellent; peppery without being overpowering and not overcooked.


The Cambuslang players were also in top form. Time and time again they advanced on the visitors goal. The Vale keeper was earning his keep on several occasions but he could do nothing when the home side went 4-0 up from the penalty spot following a late challenge.

The Lang made it 3-0 with a fantastic move full of fast sweeping football. Left winger Jordan Morton looked a class act and he showed it once more as he delivered a pint point low cross for the number 9 to fire home.


I’d noticed that referee Scott Love seemed a bit keener than I remembered from previous junior games with producing yellow cards, although the players seemed to accept his decisions.

A Vale player and Morton got into an altercation in front of the covered enclosure which ended in two yellow cards, when they may have merited reds? Mr Love used his digression and maybe allowed for the conditions and frustrations of the visitors?


In fairness to the Vale of Clyde side they never stopped trying to go forward. The home custodian had to make a couple of stops during their forays. At half time with no queue I went for a second pie. How could I turn down such a delicacy for just a quid?

After the break Vale continued to go forward. A shot was blocked but the rebound was somehow struck against the outside of the post with an open goal gaping. Another couple of efforts went just wide as they tried to get back into the match.


Rangers replied in similar fashion with a shot flying just wide. The home substitute wearing the number 15 shirt had a fine effort saved before making it 5-0 with a skilful dink over the diving keeper; despite the best efforts of a defender to clear off the line.

Vale of Clyde’s number 9 manged to find the side netting twice when well placed in the second half and then had a shot superbly saved by the Wee Gers keeper. The Vale keeper responded with a fantastic save of his own.


The scoring was rounded off a few minutes from the end in the fading light when a low corner, won by man of the match Morton, was drilled across the box to be met with a smart side foot finish. The official blew his whistle for full time a couple of minutes later.

The 8.40 train was perfectly timed as I wandered back from the ground. I briefly nodded and missed my Argyle Street stop to alight at Central Station. I was tempted by a bar showing the Celtic match but opted to listen on my radio.


Blackfriars was a decent enough bar, with an almost continental feel. The Goldihops from the local Kelburn Brewery was decent enough. A pint of Cart Noir was sampled in my debut visit to Sloan’s where punters were being entertained by a traditional folk band.

The wonderful traditional Horse Shoe Bar was visited for a nightcap couple of pints of Deuchars and London Pride. The choice of ale is never too adventurous but the pub is always worth a visit if just for people watching.


A bloke looking like one of The Proclaimers after a rough day was trying to discreetly tell his non plussed mate what a fantastic achievement Celtic had pulled off in defeating Rosenburg and how useless Rangers were; at quite high volume. It was entertaining if nothing else.

The Blue Lagoon supplied my supper; where I had a case of eyes being bigger than my belly, which was no mean feat. It wasn’t the cheapest either but these things always seem a good idea after a good session.


My return to London was via the Caledonian Sleeper, on which I booked a reclining seat for £55. I was soon nodding and awoke between Northampton and Milton Keynes. I was most impressed and would certainly use the service again.














No comments:

Post a Comment