Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 13 May 2020

Ardeer Thistle (Scotland)


Ardeer Thistle FC is a Scottish non-league football club who are based in the town of Stevenston, which forms one of the ‘Three Towns’ with Saltcoats and Ardrossan facing the waters of the Firth of Clyde in North Ayrshire.


‘The Thistle’ were formed in 1900 playing at playing at Ardchoille Park and joining the Scottish Junior FA. The 1920’s proved a very profitable decade for Ardeer. In 1924-25 Thistle were crowned as Ayrshire League champions as well as lifting the Ayrshire Cup and Western Junior League Cup. 

In the following campaign they retained the two cups from the season before as well as adding the Ayrshire League Cup and Ayrshire District Club for the fifth time.


Ardeer won the Ayrshire District League once more in 1959-60, but had to settle for an occasional cup triumph after that. Ardchoille Park in the Haydocks area of town, suffered badly from vandalism. The club decided to abandon it and move to Ardeer Stadium in the mid 1970’s.


Alex Ferguson’s St Mirren took on a Kilmarnock side featuring local lad and future SFA Chief Executive Gordon Smith in the opening game. Thistle were crowned as Second Division champions of the Ayrshire District League in 1991-92.


Ardeer ended as fourth place in 2012-13 before a runners-up spot twelve months later to go up to the Championship. However, the teams spell lasted just one season to drop back down to the Ayrshire District League.

The team ended ninth for two consecutive seasons before finishing 2017-18 second from bottom prior to the competition being absorbed into League Two of the West Region where Thistle finished bottom in 2018-19.

The performance was replicated in 2019-20 which season was ended early owing to the outbreak of Coronavirus. The club followed other ‘Juniors’ to join Senior status in the SFA set up to become founder members of the West of Scotland League, placed in the sixth tier Conference C.

Ardeer Thistle FC will play in the Ayrshire District League in the 2013-14 season.


My visit

Sunday 29th September 2013

It was a stunning morning if a little windy on the North Ayrshire coast. The sky was bright blue and I was thoroughly enjoying discovering new towns and football clubs on my two day tour from my Glasgow base.


Even better was that I was enjoying some good exercise along the way before relaxing and enjoying what the pubs had to offer in the evening. I had visited Saltcoats Victoria and thought I knew a decent route to walk to Stevenston.

A kind man showed me a far easier route, which meant walking down the side of Auchenharvie Golf Course before entering the town. I found Ardeer Stadium with no trouble at all. The gates were open so I could take some good shots, even though the wire fence wouldn’t have really prevented me from doing so.


Ardeer Stadium had a track around the pitch, meaning curved ends. It had a few rows of steps around three sides with grass backing them. The final 'straight' had a large block on the half way line containing the players and club facilities and then a cover for standing spectators towards the entrances.

Just as I was walking away a coach load of youngsters arrived. I wondered if they were to play on the pitch, but I didn’t have time to hang around to find out. Instead I walked up to Townhead Street where I eventually caught the number 11 bus to Kilwinning. 














No comments:

Post a Comment