Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for their maintenance and keeping clubs going.

Since I was a little lad, I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds as possible and see games where I can. I was fortunate that my dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches.

As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look. I hope that this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and set you on the road to adventure.

"If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends, and stories to pass on to future generations. Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my dad Bob Bernard and my mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement along with my wonderful wife Taew who must be confused as to why I go to what she must consider meaningless matches.

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. Make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated. If you click on a lot of the pictures, you will get a larger version on your screen. I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

https://worldgroundhop.blogspot.com/ leads to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard, Sisaket, Thailand, May 2024

Wednesday 13 May 2020

Dundela (Northern Ireland)


Dundela FC is a football club based in east Belfast. Dundela were formed in 1895 by employees of the Agnew Dairy and members of a local harriers club.

In 1900 ‘The Duns’ moved into their Wilgar Park home, which is located in the Strandtown suburb of the Northern Irish capital.


Dundela’s greatest season came in 1954-55 when they won the Irish Cup by beating Glenavon 3-0 in front of 10,000 fans at Windsor Park

Goals from Bobby Ervine, who netted twice and a late Jackie Greenwood strike proved decisive. The Dundela side was as follows: J Smyth, R Smyth, Stewart, McAuley, Lynch, Millar, Greenwood, Reid, Ervine, Kavanagh, Gourley


Dundela went on to become champions of the second tier Irish League B Division in 1967-68 and finished as joint champions with Carrick Rangers in 1976-77.

Further successes came in the renamed second level Irish League B Division Section 1 as the Duns won the title in 1981-82, 1985-86, 1987-88, 1989-90, 1990-91, 1991-92 and 1993-94 in the days when the league didn’t carry a promotion and relegation system.


A new three tier system was introduced into Northern Irish football around 2010. Dundela were placed in the third level NIFL Premier Intermediate League, which they won in 2011-12 to be promoted to the NIFL Championship.


After two consecutive fourth place finishes the Duns finished bottom in 2014-15 and were relegated back to Intermediate football where they finished in lower mid table in 2015-16 and 20-16-17 under manager Steven Gourley.


Dundela FC will play in the NIFL Premier Intermediate League in the 2017-18 season.


My visit

Wednesday 4th January 2017

It was the second and final day of my brief visit to Belfast and it was a sunny but cold lunchtime when I took the bus from City Hall to Strandtown where I alighted to walk up Dundela Avenue past the Harland & Wolff Staff Club to the ground.


I tried to see if any gates were open to no avail. I was pretty sure I saw a light in the social club that backed the ground on Wilgar Street, so I rung the bell.

A kind gentleman took me inside the club and through the other side to the arena so I could take my photos. He was a friendly chap who obviously took pride in his club and that someone could be bothered to visit them.


The ground was like an old style non-league venue in England before the ground graders had gone to work. The near side had the changing rooms and an enclosure with some seating. The entrance end was flat open standing, with the far side having a large grass bank. A smaller sloping expanse of turf stood behind the other goal and was backed by Dundela Infant School.


I tried to imagine the glory days and the Irish Cup run as I took my images. My pal told me gates could range anywhere between 60 and 250 depending on how the team was doing.

Having said my thank you I headed back over Holywood Road and onto the downward slope of Pims Avenue, which offered a fantastic distant view of Glentoran’s Oval and the two famous towering cranes of Harland & Wolff.


Best of all, I had visited the heart and sole of the community in a lovely warm city. That is worth a thousand tourist gimmicks in my book.




No comments:

Post a Comment