Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Tuesday 28 January 2014

SV Blauw Wit (Holland)



SV Blauw Wit is an amateur football club from the Dutch city of Nijmegen who were founded on the 14th November 1914 by Mr J Melssen. The team had a strong religious background and were initially led by Father Welter, starting out life playing on land belonging to a farmer; Hent Albers.

Before long the team moved to a meadow in Rush to the south of the city. From there Blauw Wit were on the move once more, this time north to a ground at Dennenstraat. By 1927 the club known at the time as rksv Blauw Wit reached the highest class of Catholic football.


Following a merger of the football authorities following World War Two, the club were placed in the highest grade of Nijmegen football.

Within a year they were promoted to the fourth tier of KNVB Sunday football. The team finished as runners-up of Vierde Klasse 4H in 1946-47, remaining in that division until the completion of the 1955-56 campaign. 


This was two years after Blauw Wit had to give up their ground to the housing association, moving to a pitch in De Goffert, where NEC Amateurs would later play. The move didn’t work out too well as the team were relegated back to local football.

To make the club more accessible to non-Catholics rksv was replaced by SV; Sportvereniging Blauw Wit, to give them their full title. Another move followed for the 1963-64 campaign as the club moved to Sportpark De Schoonhorst, where the members built the first clubhouse to cater for the several pitches on site.


This allowed the club to rejoin Vierde Klasse 4E where a runners-up place followed in 1969-70 before the title was captured in 1973-74.  Membership grew in the club leading a larger clubhouse being built in at the same time.

Two seasons later the team was promoted once again to Tweede Klasse 2A, before being relegated in 1978-79. Blauw Wit played four seasons in Derde Klasse prior to another demotion in 1982-83.


The club recovered back at Vierde Klasse level, finishing as 4E runners-up in 1985-86 before lifting the title in 1987-88. A runners-up place was followed a couple of seasons later in 1990-91 with promotion from Derde Klasse via the play-offs.

Their spell lasted two seasons in Tweede Klasse before being relegated from 2A in 1992-93. The slide continued when Blauw Wit were relegated back to Vierde Klasse in 1995-96. There was no improvement prior to another drop in level in 2005-06.


The club continued serving the communities of local neighbourhoods of Voorhees and Neerbosch with over forty teams playing out of the club with the first eleven winning the Vijfde Klasse 5E title at the first time of asking.

The 4E title was collected in 2009-10 before the team returned twelve months later. Undeterred they climbed straight back out of Vierde Klasse to play in Derde Klasse 3D until dropping back down in 2014-15.


Again Blauw Wit recovered immediately to lift the 4E title in 2015-16 to take up their position in Derde Klasse 3D football where they finished fifth in 2018-19 and then the same again when the 2019-20 campaign was prematurely ended owing to the outbreak of Coronavirus.

SV Blauw Wit will play in the Zondag Derde Klasse 3D Oost in the 2020-21 season.


My visit

Sunday 19th January 2014

My visit to The Netherlands was going well, and I’d got ahead of my schedule in Nijmegen. I’d even found SCH, a club I hadn’t even heard of before the bus past when seeking out Blauw Wit.

From SCH I took a twenty minute walk finding myself on Energieweg, a little behind schedule as I was heading to the 12.30 kick off at De Goffert between NEC and ADO Den Haag. The sun was shining brightly as I arrived, which didn’t really help my photography.


De Schoonhorst had four pitches with main one having an artificial pitch, with a match going on. Two sides of it had hedges as fences. The pitch had hard standing all the way around, without any cover or stands. The near side was by the expansive car park and clubhouse and was protected by high fencing.

Having taken my photos I headed off down Dennenstraat, past where Blauw Wit once played to my next location, Quick 1888.







No comments:

Post a Comment