Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Friday 24 January 2014

vv Rigtersbleek (Holland)


Voetbal Vereniging Rigtersbleek is an amateur football club based close to the centre of Enschede in the north east of The Netherlands. The club were formed on the 10th August 1910 by workers of the Rigtersbleek textile factory and owned by the Van Heck family.

The club progressed to join KNVB football in 1917-18, winning the Derede Klasse 3A title at the first attempt. Their spell at the higher level lasted just twelve months before returning to 3A which was won for a second time in 1920-21.

Rigtersbleek quickly adjusted upon their reintroduction to Tweede Klasse 2A as they would be crowned champions on numerous occasions. The run started with consecutive top spots in 1922-23 and 1923-24 before a third championship in 1926-27 a year after ending as runners-up.

Three more second places ensued as the club captured 2A titles in between in 1930-31 followed by a fifth success coming arriving in 1937-38. Rigtersbleek went on to win the Noodwedstrijd emergency War competition in 1939-40.

Another four Tweede Klasse 2A titles were collected in 1940-41, 1945-46, 1946-47 and then in 1952-53 which saw the club rise to Eerste Klasse just before the advent of the professional era.

Rigtersbleek became members of Eerste klasse B in 1954-55, one of several top tier national divisions of the day. Wim Bleijenberg capped three times for Holland while with the club and Gerrit Comforter scored the goals for the team led by English coach Ernie Robinson.

Ninth place retained their top flight status, which was titled as Hoofdklasse in 1955-56 where they were placed in the A section. A lowly finish after Bleijenberg was sold to Ajax sent the club to the second tier for the following season.

Other star players of the day included Piet van Ek, Frans Olde Riekerink, Gerrit Trooster, Paul Roessink and Mannie van Tellingen as the team settled into Eerste Divisie B albeit in lowly positions with Ab Schepers taking over as coach in 1958.

The team continued to struggle before finishing bottom of Eerste Divisie A in 1959-60 to be relegated to Tweede Divisie. Frans Olde Riekerink top scored in 1960-61 under coach G Huberts with Rigtersbleek finishing fifteenth.

Due to a lack of financial resources the club decided to return to Sunday amateur status, initially in Eerste Klasse 1D where league positions gradually faltered over their four seasons stay, culminating in relegation in 1964-65.

The slide continued with Rigtersbleek lasting just one season in Tweede klasse. However, the team stabilised in Derde Klasse 3A with a couple of runners-up finishes before winning the title in 1971-72 to return to Tweede Klasse 2B.

The momentum at the club continued leading to another title win and promotion in 1974-75 to return to the top level of Dutch amateur football before dropping back down in 1977-78. The teams Tweede klasse spell lasted until the conclusion of the 1980-81 campaign before a further drop occurred.

Rigtersbleek’s time in Derde Klasse 3A would last longer on this occasion. A second place came in 1987-88 before the championship was won in 1990-91. Tweede klasse proved too tough with the team returning to their former level just twelve months later.

A gradual recovery took place at Heekstraat which saw another 3A title arrive in 1995-95, but once again it led to a solitary season of Tweede klasse football. Following a runner-up place the team were crowned Derde Klasse 3A champions in 2002-03.

After a series of mid table finishes, Rigtersbleek won the Tweede Klasse 2J title in 2007-08 before becoming champions of Eerste Klasse 1E in 2009-10 to reach Hoofdklasse, the top level of the time. The team struggled at their highest level for many years, dropping back down in 2012-13.

After regrouping promotion was won through the play-offs in 2014-15 to return to Hoofdklasse under coach John Gielink. However, Rigtersbleek dropped back down to the sixth tier twelve months later with a new stand being built at the ground soon after.

Back in Eerste Klasse 1E, the team finished halfway up the table for three seasons, led by coach Otto Krabbe until he was succeeded by Mete Soygül in the summer of 2019. Rigtersbleek were bottom of the table when the 2019-20 campaign ended early owing to the Coronavirus outbreak.

vv Rigtersbleek will play in Zondag Erste Klasse 1E Oost in the 2020-21 season.


My visit

Saturday 18th January 2014

I was in The Netherlands to enjoy my long weekend off work and to educate myself watching matches and visiting clubs had never previously heard of. It would keep me fit and appreciate the fabric of the game in a country I’ve always had marked down as being very progressive.

As ever I planned to fit in as much as I could, so I was out of bed in Hengelo bright and early. Apart from it wasn’t too bright. The hours time difference meant that 8.30 am in Holland was the same as 7.30 in the UK and the same murky light.


The bus from Hengelo station ran on time, and the display told me when I was getting close to the club. The no.9 went down Hengelostraat before dropping my at the Alleeweg stop. The ground was a hundred yards down Gookatenweg, before I turned right into GJ van Heekstraat and soon came across the entrance.

There were a couple of folks around the clubhouse. The venue had two artificial surfaces. I walked down to the main pitch, which had a decent sized seated stand on the far side and hard standing all the way around the railed pitch. A fine collection of raised advertising boards gave the ground an enclosed feel.


Having completed my task I headed to the Toekonstraat bus stop where within a few minutes the no.1 had arrived and was taking me down to Enschede station.





No comments:

Post a Comment