Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Sunday 9 February 2014

De Treffers (Holland)


De Treffers is an amateur football club from the Gelderland town of Groesbeek in the east of The Netherlands, a few miles south east of Nijmegen. The club were formed in 1919, around the same time as their biggest rivals Achilles ’19 on the other side of town, with Jan Piepenbreier appointed as the clubs first chairman.


After playing in Nijmegen regional football, De Treffers joined the ranks of the KNVB in 1930. In 1935-36 and 1936-37 the club lifted the eastern region Eerste Klasse championships, going on to compete in the national championships.

Following World War Two, De Treffers had a period of struggle as they were relegated on a couple of occasions to find themselves in the Derde (third) Klasse. Promotion came thanks to a title win in 1961-62. Back to back championships elevated the club to Eerste (first) Klasse football in 1962-63.

De Treffers suffered a relegation in 1970-71, but they were promoted at the first attempt. The Hoofdklasse was created in 1974 and De Treffers were placed in the Zondag (Sunday) C. The team won their Hoofdklasse title in 1980-81 before finishing runners-up two years later.

Further league titles would follow in 1985-86 under coach Jan Pruijn before his side repeated their feat in 1987-88 and 1989-90. In both latter seasons the club were crowned as Sunday amateur champions, with the 1990 triumph coming against Quick Boys.

Ben Gerritsen then took charge of the team for a season which saw another Hoofdklasse title to add to the honours board. The best performances over the ensuing years came when De Treffers finished divisional runners-up in 1994-95 and 1996-97 before coach Jan Peters led his side to the title in 1997-98.

This triumph led to another national crown as Saturday champions IJsselmeervogels were defeated in the decider, as De Treffers became one of the foremost amateur outfits in the whole of the country.

Four consecutive league runners-up places ensued between 1999-00 and 2002-03 as Willie Willems coached the side. Peters had returned for a second spell when the team became Hoofdklasse C champions in 2004-05 as the forward trio of Rob Zegers, Saïd Echarqui and Guilliano Grot wreaked havoc on opposing defences.

League runners-up places followed for the three successive seasons from 2005-06 to 2007-08 after Guilliano Grot and then Eugène Marijnissen had spells as coach while future coach Aleh Putsila contributed goals to the effort.

Putsila was in charge when Hoofdklasse title number eight was won in 2009-10 which took the club to the third national level Topklasse, where the team consolidated their status before finishing third in 2012-13 under coach John Neijenhuis.

The 2014-15 and 2015-16 campaigns ended in fourth place finishes under the tutelage of Ton Caanen and then Anton Janssen. The latter would be enough to secure a place in the newly formed third tier Tweede Divisie after the Dutch national league system was restructured.

The elevation meant the club would have to convert away from just Sunday football. Goals from Robert Mutzers and Wesley Meeuwsen helped De Treffers settle into their new surroundings with a fourth place in 2016-17.

The following campaign was more of a struggle before the side recovered to eleventh place in 2018-19 when Jan de Jonge took over as coach. Lowie van Zundert top scored as his team ended the prematurely ended 2019-20 campaign in ninth place.

De Treffers will play in Tweede Divisie in the 2020-21 season.


My visit

Monday 20th January 2014

I found myself in the football mad town of Groesbeek on a bleak winters day on the fourth day of a football adventure across The Netherlands. 


Having walked from the home of rivals Achilles ’29 along Hulsbroek and then Nieuwe Drulseweg past and industrial estate and then housing I saw the floodlights of Sportpark Zuid down Nijerf.

The entrance to the ground was at the far end and through a large car park, with the magnificent club buildings behind half of the near end of the ground with a few steps of open terracing in front. 


The far touchline had a cover for standing spectators, with the road side a seated stand across the half way line. The rest of the ground had hard standing and grass, with raised advertising boards at the far end offering an enclosed feel to the arena.

Originally I had intended to head for the home of Groesbeeke Boys, but it was time to prioritise as I was feeling the effects of my exertions and needed to get to my evenings destination of Eindhoven as quickly as I could to have a rest before the evening’s match.


A free small local bus gave me a tour around the houses before dropping me in the town centre, next to where the railway once ran, so I could take a bus back into Nijmegen.














No comments:

Post a Comment