Welcome to Volume Two of my blog which covers all clubs and stadiums outside the English League System along with the wonderful people responsible for keeping them going and their maintenance.

Since I was a little lad I've been fascinated in football and more so where games are played. With my love of travel and curiosity of the game I wanted to visit as many grounds and see games wherever possible.

I was fortunate that my Dad also loved the game and spent so much of his spare time taking me to matches. As I got older the boundaries widened owing to my location and increased wages to Europe and indeed the world. The sight of a stand or a floodlight pylon in the distance immediately heightens my senses and eagerness for a closer look.

I hope this site gives you the chance to share in my pleasure and experiences and maybe one day set you on the road to adventure. If you get half as much out of the hobby as I've done, I can guarantee some great memories, good friends and stories to pass on to future generations.

Give your local club a try today. They'll be delighted to see you!

Everlasting thanks primarily to my late and very much missed and dearly loved parents; my Dad Bob Bernard and my Mum; Ann, who put up with endless years of football chat and my brothers Nick and Paul who gave me the chance and encouragement to do what I have. Thanks to all my friends who offer encouragement and Sally and Stan who inspire and give me great pride. Stan is showing a keen interest in my hobby as he grows into a young man!

Please feel free to post any comments (please use sensible language - I want everyone to be able to enjoy reading) or ask any questions relating to visiting grounds or events. If you want to see any ground reviewed please let me know. It will take quite some time for everywhere to appear, but make sure you keep having a look as the site is continually updated.

If you click on a lot of the pictures you will get a larger version on your screen.

I have also added links to video clips on YouTube where appropriate for those of you who are bored of reading or are filling in time at work. I haven't always gone for the most obvious choices, but items that will be in some cases unusual but always historically interesting.

Click here to see volume one of HAOTW for everything in the English League System.

Rob Bernard

London

May 2020

Monday 7 September 2015

SG 07 Untertürkheim (Germany)

SG 07 Untertürkheim is an amateur football club from the district of the same name in the southern German city of Stuttgart.

The club was formed in 1907 as Viktoria 07 Untertürkheim by Otto Felber, Karl Merz and Hermann Huttenlocher along with twelve other pioneers. Two years later Viktoria was dissolved with the football section operating under Turnerbund Untertürkheim.



In 1924 the first team won the district title and were promoted to the Kreisliga The Victoria name had returned but in 1933 the club became Sportvereinigung 07 Untertürkheim.

Following the end of World War II SG 07 were placed in the Württemberg Oberliga. Many sporting sections flourished at the club. In 1957 the club became Sportgemeinschaft 07 Untertürkheim.



2007 saw the club celebrate their centenary as well as their fiftieth anniversary at their Bruckwiesenweg home. By 2015 the club had dropped to one of the many Step 9 leagues in German football.

The 2006-07 season saw the club celebrate their centenary as well as their fiftieth anniversary at their Bruckwiesenweg home with the team finishing ninth in Bezirksliga Stuttgart, one of numerous eighth level divisions in the national system.



Untertürkheim finished as league runners-up in 2008-09 prior to a season of struggle and then relegation in 2010-11 to Kreisliga A3 where fourth place was achieved in 2011-12 which was improved on by one place twelve months later.

The 2013-14 campaign saw Untertürkheim crowned as A3 champions. However, the jump back to the Bezirksliga proved too steep as the team was relegated after one season. A runners-up spot in Kreisliga A1 followed in 2015-16.


The teams reward was a play-off against TSV Bernhausen which was lost 5-3 at Bruckwiesenweg. A third place in 2016-17 was replicated the following season before a mid table finish was accrued in 2018-19.


That campaign was led by head coach Theo Fringelis who was in charge in 2019-20 when the Coronavirus ended the season with Untertürkheim top of the league through the goals of Sideris Papadopoulos and Stefan Schlick, awaiting to see if they would be promoted. 


SG 07 Untertürkheim will play in the Stuttgart Kreisliga in the 2015-16 season.


My visit

Sunday 16th August 2015

It was an awful Sunday morning in Stuttgart, but the weather wasn’t going to stop me visiting some local football clubs rather than lounging around. Admittedly I was getting some rather strange looks in my old 1980’s England shirt and no jacket, but I was past caring.

I had intended to see the grounds I was visiting on the previous Friday, but plans ran array. I meant to make up for lost time. Unfortunately, although I knew SG 09 were located within a few minutes’ walk I was struggling to suss out the streets. The map app on my IPhone was slowly reacting and the rain was drenching the screen. At last I got my bearings.



I arrived at the Bruckwiesenweg ground to find it locked; but fortunately there were plenty of views inside of the 3G pitch surrounded by a rail and hard standing. On the road side a two storey clubhouse had a smart covered balcony with accompanying flower pots for patrons.

A car park stood between the road and the ground. While a very basic venue, it offered all the club required as well as a pitch to bring in money throughout the week.



I headed back towards the S Bahn, only to wait for quite a while without sign of a train. Instead I went downstairs and caught a tram on the U Bahn 13 service, which took me most of the way to my next venue; Stuttgart-Munster.





No comments:

Post a Comment